Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone replaced a front wheel bearing on...

a 93 or similar Legacy? assuming this is indeed my problem

Looks like I would have to remove the castle nut holding the tie rod and the nut holding the ball joint

For the ball joint I usually smack the control arm(?) adjacent to the ball joint while hoding a little downward pressure on it.

I guess the same for the tie rod

Now what about those two bolts attatched to the lower part of strut??

I remember reading that one comes off and the other you need to mark with a punch?...then only loosen it so as not to lose alignment.

Looking at it...it sure looks like the two bolts need to come out

I am clueless as to how the bolt affects alignment and why both don't have to come out to get the hub off

How much is one of these bearings? OEM and aftermarket? Is there one in there or two like the loyale/GL's

I guess I would have to take it to a machine shop...any idea what that usually costs? R&R

You got some nice rust goin' on there. Soak everything with PB for a day or so before you start tearing it apart.

Mostly that affects wheel camber. You'll want to clean that whole area well. Mark the position of both bolts as well as the position of the strut relative to the knuckle. You'll have to line that back up as close as possible on re assembly or the camber will be off and the tire will start wearing unevenly.

It will have to be taken to a shop to have the old bearing pressed out and the new bearing pressed in. Call a few places and ask for quotes. It changes depending on labor rates and how long the shop wants to charge you for. Some even stick people with "equipment" charges.

if you have decent sources it's often easier (and cheaper) to just replace the entire hub assembly used that has bearings already in it.

guy in texas has a front set of hubs for 1st gen legacy for sale very reasonably in the for sale section. i would have bought them except they're for a non-ABS vehicle.

I agree with grossgary: replace the hub if you have the choice. Its usually cheaper and faster. I've run into problems with the machine shop not pressing the bearing right. The hubs assembly at our local yards are 30-50. The bearings are like 90 the last time I checked plus the machine shop cost.

I agree replace the hub, the top bolt on the strut is the one that needs marking on my 97 Legacy, the reason it is not round as it is turned it will move things around. Mark both and then when you get them out you will see the one that is important.

Once you replace the hub with one from junk yard you have the option of getting a cheap press from Harbor Freight then you can practice all you want with the old one. Once you get it cleaned and apart and replace the bearing and seals, and regreased you will be able to take it apart and put it back together without things being destoryed. You would not want to put this one back on your car without replacing the bearing and seals again, it would only be good to practice with.

Edited by tcspeer

a 93 or similar Legacy? assuming this is indeed my problem

Looks like I would have to remove the castle nut holding the tie rod and the nut holding the ball joint

For the ball joint I usually smack the control arm(?) adjacent to the ball joint while hoding a little downward pressure on it.

I guess the same for the tie rod

Now what about those two bolts attatched to the lower part of strut??

I remember reading that one comes off and the other you need to mark with a punch?...then only loosen it so as not to lose alignment.

Looking at it...it sure looks like the two bolts need to come out

I am clueless as to how the bolt affects alignment and why both don't have to come out to get the hub off

How much is one of these bearings? OEM and aftermarket? Is there one in there or two like the loyale/GL's

I guess I would have to take it to a machine shop...any idea what that usually costs? R&R

Whereabouts in NY? NYC?

Dave

Dave

Are you in Cortland...Putnam county? I am in Dutchess

near Cortland, but further North and West- out near Ithaca. A bit south of Syracuse.

I *used* to live near Hopewell Junction, but of course that doesn't help.

I'm not shy about helping folks with some presswork, but there's not a lot of folks around here.

Dave

near Cortland, but further North and West- out near Ithaca. A bit south of Syracuse.

I *used* to live near Hopewell Junction, but of course that doesn't help.

I'm not shy about helping folks with some presswork, but there's not a lot of folks around here.

Dave

dave

Wish you didnt move...you would have been 5 mins from me...i'm in stormville over near the prison

dave

Wish you didnt move...you would have been 5 mins from me...i'm in stormville over near the prison

I remember dirtbike riding on the RR tracks behind the prison, riding all the way out to connecticut once or twice!

And midnight headlightless full-moon winter dirtbike rides up over Depot Hill rd, and playing rally-driver up there.

Ahhh, good times.

Dave