Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time to start sending subaru nasty letters

It looks good, it's diesel, I want one. I don't even care if the wheel is on the wrong side.

Hell it can't be that hard to make a diesel pass US emissions laws. Mercedes did it, and theirs even passed CA laws!

Is is tough to make them pass emissions but that isnt the issue. As much as people yell and scream whenever the "A" word is mentioned, most people in the USA want automatics, and diesels dont have one yet (in subaru). Also not sure what the cost premium is for diesel in these tough times.

Also MB has deeper pockets then subaru does for emission testing.

Yes i am pro diesel but also a realist. Subaru already has one clunker on thier hands, lets not give them two,

nipper

Did anyone watch that Top Gear episode where they all drove diesels 750 miles on one tank? Captain Slow was rocking the last gen Legacy Diesel and getting 50-60 mpg highway, insane! Though they commented that the boxer design makes for a very rattling, noisy diesel engine.

And as far as the new Legacy wagons go, I'd be more outraged if I had the urge to drive around with Joan River's face on the front of my car. Those headlamps are ridiculous!

Having had 2 legacy wagons, 2 Outbacks and one Legacy sedan in the family I would be in line for another Legacy wagon as a first choice when I walk into the dealer. I don't always want an Outback.

Didn't SOA meet fleet EPA requirements by increasing the clearance on the Outback so it would be in the light truck category? Could this be why they're skipping over the US for a "regular" wagon?

2 interesting points in that story:

"Subaru executives noted that the sedan version of the Outback accounts for only about 8 percent of the model's sales, or about 3,500 vehicles a year; the rest are wagons."

If that's true for the Outbacks did it include Legacy models also? Maybe SOA will be phasing out the Legacy sedan?

and

"There are different ways to make a car meet the federal definition of a light truck, including making the rear seats removable to give a wagon a flat loading floor or raising a vehicle's ground clearance to at least 20 centimeters, or a little less than 8 inches. Subaru will raise the Outback's height from a minimum of 7.3 inches to as much as 8.7 inches next year, and will make other adjustments, like altering the position of the rear bumper, to meet light truck specifications."

2 interesting points in that story:

"Subaru executives noted that the sedan version of the Outback accounts for only about 8 percent of the model's sales, or about 3,500 vehicles a year; the rest are wagons."

If that's true for the Outbacks did it include Legacy models also? Maybe SOA will be phasing out the Legacy sedan?

and

"There are different ways to make a car meet the federal definition of a light truck, including making the rear seats removable to give a wagon a flat loading floor or raising a vehicle's ground clearance to at least 20 centimeters, or a little less than 8 inches. Subaru will raise the Outback's height from a minimum of 7.3 inches to as much as 8.7 inches next year, and will make other adjustments, like altering the position of the rear bumper, to meet light truck specifications."

Keep in mind that was dated 2004.

nipper