Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny Mileage Checkable?

I have almost bought a Legacy Transmission from New Jersey Junkyard that was said to be only 45K miles.

It's too good to believe. Can anyone tell me how to check this mileage without buying a carfax report?

Junk Trans from; VIN: 4S3BD6556S7232732

Year/Make/Model: 1995 SUBARU LEGACY LS/LSI AWD

Prolly impossible to verify, even if the yard showed you the car that the trany was pulled out of, you would still not know if that was the truth. Like you say, check the vin against Carfax, and maybe learn something. Pretty hard to believe a 95 model would only have 45K on the odo after almost 15 years.

If the yard is so proud of this trany with 45K miles, maybe they will give you an extended warranty.

Realize, this is Jersey. I'd be suprised to hear "I don't know" from any sales person.

There is a 1 year part & labor guarantee.

I wonder why they want to sell me a '95 when so many other years will interchange? (mine is a '95)

A one year parts and labor guarantee is pretty good. Certainly enough to install and verify the working condition. A 45k car from '95 is rare, but certainly not impossible.

Manual or auto? Nothing wrong with sticking with the same model of trans, you only have 4 other years to choose from that are newer. Just make sure the gear ratios match.

i would say just run the car fax , but if you don't trust the mileage, how can you trust the vin they gave you.

for 400 bucks, it doesn't matter, the warranty is more important. get it in writing. they may know the mileage, but hey have no idea how it was maintained or if the owner drove rally cross. their assessment is based on the condition of the car when it arrived and the condition of the fluid.

get it in writing.

GET IT IN WRITING!! but i doubt you will need it.

It happens - just recently sold my grandmother's '92 Buick - 65k original miles.

Could have been an elderly person that got into a wreck..... :banana:

As for why they want to sell you the same year transmission - it's just good practice from the perspective of the shop that's installing it. While there may be other's that will fit, there are slight changes year-to-year. I just put a' 90 5 speed into a '96. Besides having to change the electrical switches due to different wireing, the transmission doesn't have the bosses for attaching the 96's exhaust bracket. No problem for me as I just fabbed up a new bracket - but stuff like that cuts into the shop's profit as they can't charge you for having to modify things to get something to fit that they claimed *would fit*..... it's just a CYA thing.

GD