Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Question

I found someone selling a used weber online for a good price. I have an '87 GL Wagon w/ an EA82 motor that is in need of a new carburetor. The seller states that the weber came out of an '85 with a E85 motor. I'm not familiar with an E85 motor and wanted to know if this carb will work on my vehicle. Also, the carb comes with the adapter plate and throttle linkage. Is there anything else I will need? Any particular questions I should ask?

Thanks,

-Ryan

I didn't think that there was such thing as an E85 motor and had told the seller that he might be thinking of an EA82 but he still believes its an E85. I had to come and check here just to make sure I wasn't the crazy one. As far as figuring out if the carb will work or not would it matter what '85 model that he pulled it from?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Edited by Pennies Earned

In '85 it could either be an EA82 (Wagon, sedan), or an EA81 (Brat, Hatchback). Ask him which body style it came from.

Even if it's not from an EA82, it will still be jetted correctly and you would only have to buy the adaptor plate for the EA82 manifold ~$35.

Beware of used Weber's though. They can be gamble. Make sure the throttle shafts are not worn, and the choke plates aren't sloppy. If you end up having to rebuild/rejet it then you can easily be looking at as much money and more frustration than just buying the kit for $325 or so. I usually expect to spend around $200 to install a used Weber and I've done a LOT of them so I know what I'm doing, what to look for, etc. It's pretty trivial for me to rebuild one, but I usually end up having to buy a couple jets, a rebuild kit, maybe change the choke style, adaptor plate, etc, etc. It's not a cheap proposition. IF the throttle shafts are good, I won't pay more than about $75 to $125 for a used Weber.

GD

I didn't think that there was such thing as an E85 motor and had told the seller that he might be thinking of an EA82 but he still believes its an E85. I had to come and check here just to make sure I wasn't the crazy one. As far as figuring out if the carb will work or not would it matter what '85 model that he pulled it from?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Are you sure it came from a Subaru? BMW uses nomenclature like that, I think.

Jacob

Crazy.... yes. There will be costs incurred for the install. PCV hoses and adaptors, inline fuel filter (highly reccomended), gasket sealer depending on how you do the adaptor plate. You may have to change idle jets depending on how it runs..... there's always costs associated with Weber installs. You may find something broken or break something yourself durring the process.

In addition to the carb and adaptor, you will have to block the ASV's one way or another, as well as reroute/cap a lot of vacuum lines and ports. EGR and distributor advance will need new lines run from the front of the carb, etc.

GD

• 3 years later...

... The seller states that the weber came out of an '85 with a E85 motor ....

Where is Located the Seller? ...

In the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Subaru Sold certain models,

with the EA65 Engine (1.3L) up to 1994; 

So, if the Seller says it came from a Subaru engine,

Maybe he Confused the EA65 with "E85" ... somehow?

~► http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EA_engine#EA-65

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo