Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 needs new HGs, what else should I do?

Picked up another '84 wagon a few weeks ago with almost 390k on the odometer and a shot transmission. The engine runs great actually, but I have an extra ea81 with 160k-190k that apparently just needs new HGs that I was thinking about swapping in for the time being (EJ in the future).

My question is...what else, if anything, should I do while I have the heads off? I do not have a machinists square or other precision tools to measure for warpage. Can I use a piece of glass and a feeler gauge?

I have a 5 spd and Jerry's kit to replace the trans. BTW

yeah you can use a straight edge of a ruler and feeler gauges, I don't remember what the warpage limits are.

Change the valve stem seals too while you've got the heads off. I had to change HGs at my parent's house, didn't have valve spring compressor and now regret it as I burn oil on deceleration (high vacuum sucking oil through valve stems).

Most ruler's aren't flat - even the metal "machinist" sqaure's aren't typically flat enough to measure the warpage of a head. If you *must* use one you will have to check it using both edges of the rule - you will probably get different results..... and there's no good way to split the difference. They are usually bowed one direction ever so slighly. Enough that you'll get .005" under it one way and no gap the other :rolleyes:

Glass will flex unless it's good and thick. Like 1/4" thick or more. Even then it's not a precision surface. If you must test this at home without a machinist's straight-edge, then run the head over some 600 grit paper on top of 1/4" glass. You will be able to tell by the pattern if there are any major low spots. And if they aren't too bad you can just keep going till it's nice and clean - lube and clean the paper with WD-40.

As for what else to do with the EA81 - replace the valve cover and oil pan seals but coat them in a thin layer of RTV to prevent the cork from absorbing oil. Also replace the oil and water pumps with new one's (Paraut). New front/rear main seals wouldn't be bad - get them from the dealer as they fit better.

Beyond that, unless you are splitting the block there isn't much to be done.

GD

there are lots of details on line....even here, about folks that do their own head work. sounds rather complicated to me verses just letting a shop do it. my local shop charges $12.50 to machine a head which is bonkers cheap considering most places charge a minimum one hour labor which is $50+. Might want to call around or ask Subaru who does their heads (that's how I do it).

If you're really doing an EJ swap, just stick with what you know and don't put much in it. I've gasket slapped a few cars before (no milling/checking at all) I don't recommend it and think it's a bad idea, but I have done it for various reasons before and those cars never exhibited problems...one is even still being driven by a board member and it's been 5 years or so.

If you're not sure about the EJ or it's a long way off then do it right.

The one with blown head gaskets is a bit suspect though since you don't know how long it was driven or overheating like that?

Honesty, another thought would be if the motor is running great why not continue to run it. So what if its got 390k lol. Push it to 400k and take a picture. If it were me i would swap a tranny in and continue to drive it until something happens or until you EJ swap it. You could always get the other motor ready with new gaskets and have it all set to go on the side.

Thanks guys. I have seriously considered just leaving the engine in and seeing how far it will go, but at the same time it wouldn't be that hard for me to do the swap. Pulling the engine would allow me to really clean the engine bay, and I could install the engine and tranny as a unit. Plus, I have actually got two ea81s just sitting here with less than 200k on them. I haven't had the car very long and have only driven it about 40 miles, so it is also kind of hard to tell how it would do with emissions.

Anyway, I have a hard time restraining myself from completely rebuilding things like this (hence my eternal Justy project), so it's good to hear what is important. GDs list is perfect and finite, I can do those things then step away, and most likely have some more reliable transpo until its EJ time...which is definitely going to happen, I just have personal rules about how many major projects I can have going at one time:lol:. Perhaps you can relate. Thanks again.

I just have personal rules about how many major projects I can have going at one time:lol:. Perhaps you can relate.

My problem is that I can't make a personal rule till I have fewer projects in the queue (which sometimes's has the tendancy to act more like a "stack") than the rule would allow.

This point is never reached and I'm afraid I'll probably die with so many projects waiting that they won't be able to find my body for weeks.

I need counseling..... and probably a flame-thrower. :Flame:

:banghead:

GD

My problem is that I can't make a personal rule till I have fewer projects in the queue (which sometimes's has the tendancy to act more like a "stack") than the rule would allow.

This point is never reached and I'm afraid I'll probably die with so many projects waiting that they won't be able to find my body for weeks.

+1

I need counseling..... and probably a flame-thrower.

Thats why we became members here, er, for the counseling, not the flame-throwers...