Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Showing Off My Girl

Dirk

Wanaka is in the mighty nation of New Zealand! My home too :)

Dammit man, I took my Leone down to Wanaka three weeks ago to play a gig at Lake Hawea, shame I didn't see it!

Can't believe how the old girl went actually, with about 150kg of gear in the back and five full grown men, but she loved it! :D

Nice town btw :P Will def be back!

Aaa, thanks for the insight! NZ is an awesome place.

Little history: There was a great man from New Zealand by the name of Burt Monroe. He came to the U.S in the late 50s to take his 1920s Indian motorbike on the Saltflats to push the bike to the limit and set a record - which still stands till this day for that class of vehicle and cc.

-Tom :)

Thank you for the kind coments. I love her very much too. Here is a pic of Lake Wanaka where I live. Yes it is a most spectacular place and if you haven't aready visited, New Zealand is a must.

P1010180.jpg

It was very hard choosing just one pic to show. All of New Zealnd is beautiful and there is just so much to see from the beaches to the amazing glaciers. The roads are great driving too. For those who like driving (and I think we all do) a holiday driving around this counrty in a beaten up old Subaru is a massive treat. Look me up when you get here.

They made a film about Burt Monroe called 'The worlds Fastest Indian' Anthony Hopkins stars and its a bloody good film

Check out 'Trade Me' for subarus for sale in NZ. Its the Kiwi version of E-Bay. Currently 6 Brats (Brumby's) and a gen1 1400 dl on there. Although I hate the colour of the gen1.

I like this though!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-253156608.htm

Desert is one of the few phenonema we don't have in NZ. I went to Joshua Springs in CA once and it blew me away.

Would love to roadtrip the states one day.

good luck on the "roadtrip" to the states..just make sure you come to the states during your winter...or else your gonna get nothing but snow, rain, freezing dry air and tornados/hurricanes. unless you stay in the south...then its just mild rain and high humidity...the kind that punches you in the chest when you walk out of the airport

• 2 months later...

Ah..Stealth just answered my question...is that North or South Island....Dunedin nearby? Must be South Island :)

I had a girlfriend who was from Dunedin while I was growing up in Singapore.

Oh...on that picture of Lake Wanaka....right click...set as background...

It is now gracing my computer screen :)

Very Nice!! Love the color.

I have a few friends in NZ as well as Australia..they are 2 or the 3 places I someday want to visit in my lifetime..the 3rd being Egypt.

Not trying to burst your bubble connie, but for me Egypt was a let down. Saw the sights, and blah was my thought.... Sept. 2005. Hopefully you will enjoy it more than I did.

That pic of the lake does have some Washington flair to it :eek:

Very nice sprit green subaru. I have a 77' that is sprit green that i'm in the process of restoring. Can't decide if i want big wheels and low profile tires or put a custom 4 in. lift with some nice mud terrains on it......:grin:

-cody

Ive been toying with the idea of a lift myself. Maybe just a couple of inches and a set of semi-offroad tires. Just enough to have a little fun on the dirt roads.

I also fancy cutting the top off and welding the doors shut but that is a retirement project. Only 30 now so I'm a few years off yet.

Lake Wanaka is the best place in the world to skip stones on the water. Every rock on the beach is flat...

I walked around the shoreline from town to that point in the photo, skipping stones the whole way there and back. October, 1978. My arm was sore for 3 days.