Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking front windshield ea81

is there anything i can do to stop the corners from leaking, it leaks in between the glass and the gasket and my floor boards fill up every time it rains. maybe someone knows an independent shop around Seattle that will just change the gasket.... I've called a bunch of shops but everyone says they cant do just a gasket even though the windshield is 1 1/2 years old with no rock chips.

is there anything i can do to stop the corners from leaking' date=' it leaks in between the glass and the gasket and my floor boards fill up every time it rains. maybe someone knows an independent shop around Seattle that will just change the gasket.... I've called a bunch of shops but everyone says they cant do just a gasket even though the windshield is 1 1/2 years old with no rock chips.[/quote']Evergreen Autoglass in Monroe sealed the gasket where it was leaking on my Brat for $50 plus tax. I was afraid I was going to have a big bill if they had to remove the windshield to seal it up. I can dig up their phone number if you can't find them; they used to be in Redmond near where I work, but they moved the shop to Monroe when their landlord sold the building to a developer to put up apartments!

In my experience the only perminent fix to this is to have the screen removed and re-installed. Prefereably with new rubbers. I find it strange that you are having toubles getting a pro to do this. A company like that wouldn't get my business.

I had that same problem so i went and just got a $3.99 big tube of auto glass sealant or something like that.

it was the silicon kind that could run down into the cracks but not liquidy to go right through.

Just put it in, keep it dry for a little bit, maybe blow dry it. It sealed my windsheild, hopefully it works for you :]

paraffin wax.

basically candle wax, melted, poured over the area, scrape excess off, repour, it seals it up a little at a time, and the extra is easy to scrape off.

it is water proof and will work.

it is also used for canning veggies and jellies.

57135-large.jpg

put in small metal can, boil in water on stove, pour over edge of window.

Edited by bheinen74

why would you not use silicone?

It is not a suitable sealant for a windshield. Silicone is generally not UV stable (though there are variants that are). Silicone lacks the appropriate shear strength for a windshield. Silicone will contaminate the glass surface, making your windshield unsuitable for proper installation later. That fact will also ensure that you cannot properly seal your windshield.

Appropriate adhesives include urethane and bedding compound. Bedding compound is the appropriate sealant for a gasket mount windshield. Urethane is the appropriate sealant for a urethane set windshield.

paraffin wax.

basically candle wax, melted, poured over the area, scrape excess off, repour, it seals it up a little at a time, and the extra is easy to scrape off.

it is water proof and will work.

it is also used for canning veggies and jellies.

57135-large.jpg

put in small metal can, boil in water on stove, pour over edge of window.

Cool!:)