Ultimate Subaru Message Board

constant vibration even felt in pedals 98 obw

Hi all, searched but couldn't find this exactly: 98 obw MT with orig ej25. 119K on the clock. TB at 80k. Recently started vibrating regardless of what car is doing i.e. idling, driving fast or slow, low or high rpms, neutral with ebrake on, etc. Does seem worse at higher rpms. Feels like the tempo of a mower handle vibration. Throws no CELs and no more significant noise then usual. Does feel possibly like a loss of some power but may be imagining that. Of course this engine has never run smooth like my 2.2 i had ten years ago or my wife's 05 LTD wagon sohc. No HG issues to date. I replaced nothing recently but a while back (months) did two front axles, plugs (ngk) and oem wires. Swapped coils and ignitors from my sons car to no avail. No signigicant mpg loss.

That's all i can think of

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

bob

it is important to Know if the Engine Visibly Shakes at the Same time you feel the Vibration, if So, I Believe there's Something wrong with the Engine and it Could be one of this Posibilities:

1. Vacuum Leak: Check for Worn, Cracked, Broken or Hard Hoses, Replace if Nesesary.
  2. Broken Spark Plug's Wire... Try with Other Wires Known good.
  3. Dirty Fuel injectors? ... Try with Concentrated Cleaner in 1/2 Tank of Fuel

I Hope this Ideas can Help.

Kind Regards.

would mounts cause a "quick" vibration?

did rev it and it didn't kick side to side

thanks

What do you mean by "quick" ?

No movement could mean the engine is sitting on the frame. Best way to check them is to get under the car with a pry bar. Put it next to the mounts and try to lift the engine.

I guess I mean fast...never felt such a vibration in a car before. Its not violent or anything but very noticeable and much faster than what i would call a shudder

must admit the only mount issues I've dealt with in the last decade were on a nissan I4 engine and were pretty easily diagnosed

Edited by wardssix

Ok, so its a constant vibration but it's a high frequency.

Is it a 10k rpm Dremel? Or more like a drill in concrete kinda feeling?

try the big rump roast screwdriver stethescope on timing belt cover on each side.

you don't have any codes, right, you're CEL light passes diagnostic test right?

anyone know symptoms of main bearing going out? :eek:

Thanks for all the replies. I can usually fix my car issues myself but this on is ticking me off. I'll check for vacuum tonite, I checked it when I originally got it and was a solid -19 or so. The frequency of the vibration feels more like a lawnmower handle, what do they run at 3k? I'll also put my cheapy stethoscope on it tonite and I think I have some starter fluid to squirt around to hopefully find a vacuum leak; don't have the time to pull the timing cover right now. I will pick up a pcv valve also.

I do not have any codes either. Funny thing is it feels weaker in the gearshift than the pedals.

thanks again

The shifter has a bunch of bushings that isolate vibration pretty well, so you probably won't feel much there.

I would think a bad bearing would make a pretty noticeable noise if it were bad enough to resonate through the whole car, but I guess you never know.

Another thought occured to me, the dogbone mount (Subaru calls it a pitch stopper) bolts right to the firewall. If the bushings in it are worn out it would transmit a fair amount of vibration directly into the firewall, and consequently into the pedals.

I threw a can of injector cleaner in it with a half tank...we'll see. Didn't get much time last nite but threw the vacuum gauge on it and had -20.5 and steady. Couldn't find any leaks. The dogbomne appeared okay but I'll look further tonite or so. i still have to get it up to check the mounts. the only noise I have really is some cold slap and a little ticking but nothing major.

Couldn't find my stethoscope sio that will wait. thanks

So far... half a tank through with full can of injector cleaner - no dice; found no sparkly wires at nite with water; sprayed the vacuum lines with starting fluid to no avail. Also put my stethoscope on it but couldn't decipher anything definite. Possibly left front was louder but hard to tell. I also swapped the pcv valve and fuel filter just 'cause I had them to do. Also injectors sound good. The vacuum was -20.5, dropped when throttled up then bounced to -25 on destroking and recovered what I consider to be normally. Like I said before no loud noises just the poorly sounding ej dohc. Imagine your hand on your lawnmower handle - that vibration is sorta what its like. Still haven't got it up to pry on the mounts. Can I disconnect the dogbone and run it to check if that's transferring it to the firewall? Like I said its not terrible but I know it ain't right and am concerned what's causing it.

thanks

Yes, the dogbone mount can be unbolted temporarily with no ill effects as long as you don't try to drive too hard with it like that. It's there to keep the engine from pitching fore/aft when you ac/decelerate. (pitch stopper...)

The transmission mount will take up the slack when the dog bone is un-mounted, Just don't accelerate too hard, or use the engine as a brake and it will be fine.

Hi all, searched but couldn't find this exactly: 98 obw MT with orig ej25. 119K on the clock. TB at 80k. Recently started vibrating regardless of what car is doing i.e. idling, driving fast or slow, low or high rpms, neutral with ebrake on, etc. Does seem worse at higher rpms. Feels like the tempo of a mower handle vibration. Throws no CELs and no more significant noise then usual. Does feel possibly like a loss of some power but may be imagining that. Of course this engine has never run smooth like my 2.2 i had ten years ago or my wife's 05 LTD wagon sohc. No HG issues to date. I replaced nothing recently but a while back (months) did two front axles, plugs (ngk) and oem wires. Swapped coils and ignitors from my sons car to no avail. No signigicant mpg loss.

That's all i can think of

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

bob

When the timing belt was done at 80K were the idler and tensioners replaced?

Did this start with the replacement of the axles?

replace the PCV valve just for giggles.

Remove the accessory drive belts and tell us what happens.

Is the engine rocking at all or is it just a vibration that can be felt.

Does it seem slower or faster then engine RPM.

Remove one plug wire at time, does it have any effect on the vibration?

nipper