Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So... wtf is this black box?

IMAG0071.jpg

It has been in the car since I bought it over 3 years ago. It's kind of gotten in the the way whilst chasing wires and today I finally pulled it out. Kind of curious what it is. Here is some more info.

IMAG0075-1.JPG

Part A plugs into where an OBDII scanner normally goes, and part B because what I would now plug a scanner into. From my little searching I have discovered it is some form of gps/cellular emitting device since there is a blad antenna and a little box velroed to it that says, GPS with a bunch of numbers. When I pulled it from its not so nestled place in the car it started blinking a red light at me, until I unplugged its battery pack at least. Can I just get rid of this? or even sell it?

Thats what I am concluding now. A little more ripping into it finds a nice little processor and a SIM card actually. I am now slightly curious as to my vehicles past lives it has led. I wonder if I can patch into it and see everywhere it has ever driven since the little black box was installed.

"Can I just get rid of this? or even sell it?"

Whatever you do, be smart and don't throw this in the trash, don't sell it for at least a year from the time you get your car going. I have seen too many times, where something like this is sold or tossed in the trash can, and then turns out the car needs it to run right. go ahead and try to find another of it like when that time comes, be smart, KEEP it in a box for a long time to make sure you dont screw yourself. Seen people throw away perfectly good parts with a scratch, then they cant find one as nice and it is not a good thing.

Wow i am impressed. lojac has been around for a while, yet there is very little information on what it physically looks like on the net.

I googled lojac and these mystery boxes come up on dodge, VW, Honda and other forums. The same descriptions of the mystery boxes show up, pretty much in the same locations. I thought they were hidden better in the car. It is a lojac.

nipper

Not to worry about throwing it out, I am as big of pack rat as any. It will be going in a box in the basement for years to come if I don't just plug it back in. I will have to search around some more and see if I can activate it and for free is the best kind of price. Who knew something this interesting was dangling by a zip tie above my feet these last few years. :lol: