Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 leg brighton 2.2L (wifes car); I was getting only surges of heat when I push the accelerator. I opted to try thermostat change. Sunday afternoon, only one open was C.A.P. when I pulled it out the oem stat it was intact. installed aftermarket version. (noticeably shorter; less coils.) any way, got down the road and now I am over heating I am lucky if I didn't pop a gasket! :eek: Question: could this have been directly related to t-stat? OR was there an existing issue that was amplified with the thermo stat change? I got heat now I tell ya! :rolleyes:

Edited by Loyale93v
heated

99 leg brighton 2.2L (wifes car); I was getting only surges of heat when I push the accelerator. I opted to try thermostat change. Sunday afternoon, only one open was C.A.P. when I pulled it out the oem stat it was intact. installed aftermarket version. (noticeably shorter; less coils.) any way, got down the road and now I am over heating I am lucky if I didn't pop a gasket! :eek: Question: could this have been directly related to t-stat? OR was there an existing issue that was amplified with the thermo stat change? I got heat now I tell ya! :rolleyes:

haha what they said ^^ but in my 93 N/A 2.2L car I had a aftermarket thermostat and it worked fine, just didn't warm up as fast. Did you burp the system completely?

I've used aftermarket one's, and while I prefer the OEM one's I suspect your problem is probably air in the system. New stat's, even the aftermarket units, generally work. They just aren't as good. I've never had one actually overheat right out of the box though.

GD

proper method to get the air out?

It would be well worth your time to order a OEM from Subaru, and get that in as soon as you can. The one you put in was done in a pinch, to get you by. As recommended, pull it, and get rid of the junk when you can source a OEM Subaru stat if you plan to keep the car.