Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuild

I think its time for an engine rebuild. My EA81 runs on 3. It has spark to the plug and the plug looks fine. Im going to do a compression test tomorrow. Anyways, are these things easy to rebuild? Im thinking new rings, maybe bearings. Might lap the valves in, what all do these engines need? Its in a '83 gl wagon with a 4" lift and 28" swampers. Also thinking about a 5 speed swap, but i think the 4 speed would be fine if all 4 were firing.

I'm also curious on the gauge cluster. The volt gauge reads around 8-10v all the time. My old car, and most of the ones I see stay around 14. Also, the oil pressure gauge doesn't work. It just stays at the very bottom. I know its got pressure because I drove it an hour yesterday, and been driving it a lot today. The thing gets like 15mpg lol. Its also leaking inside, so when I go out to start it up, its got lots of ice on the INSIDE of the windows. I think it also needs trans mounts as the whole engine and trans moves quite a lot when put into 4wd.

Its got ok power, but if i pull the plug wire on the passenger side near the radiator(new to subies, and don't know cylinder numbers) it doesn't affect driving or idle at all. I think the car needs a good once over also. So where can I find parts for the ea81, and things like trans mounts? Thanks!

Heres a pic of the car

3n73mb3pd5Q65S95Rd9c14e51d87dda3d10.jpg

+1 on the oil pressure sending unit, and the alternator voltage check.

Wait to see what your actual oil pressure is before buying bearings, the bottom end is probably just fine. Any knocking? How much oil actually leaks out of it?

The two ea81's I've had both got between 32-37mpg, and I don't drive like grandpa! so another +1 for giving it a once over(tune up).

May be worth a look under the valve cover to look at the valves for that lost cylinder, you never know what you'll find, or have lost!

Great advice. I have been a vw bug guy for 4 years so I do know how the engines work(they are EXTREMELY similar). I havent seen a drop of oil, and there are no bad knocks. It does make some valve noise, so maybe they need a quick adjustment. I'll let you guys know what happens with the compression test. Im kind of eager to find out myself. I bet it would be way fun with 4 cylinders...:banana:

Great advice. I have been a vw bug guy for 4 years so I do know how the engines work(they are EXTREMELY similar). I havent seen a drop of oil, and there are no bad knocks. It does make some valve noise, so maybe they need a quick adjustment. I'll let you guys know what happens with the compression test. Im kind of eager to find out myself. I bet it would be way fun with 4 cylinders...:banana:

uhh, what year is it again? Some of these engine have hydaulic lifters and require NO adjustment. I can't remember what year they started that, 84? Do a search here on that one. May need to "flush" the engine with some Rislone or Marvels Mystery Oil in the oil when you change it. Or a new oil pump.

You should just give me the car. Then you will have to worry no more :grin:

Yeah man, I'm with everyone else. Go over the car, change oil, add MMO, Replace Plugs, wire, cap, rotor, blah blah blah. All that stuff. Just spend some quality time with it.

You will probally not see more than 20mpg with them thar Swampers. It's part of the trade off for looking cool :grin:

You could bring the car down to Chehalis/Napavine, and i'll help you go through it in my garage.

-Caleb

So I got about 175psi out of the cylinder. Then I did a leak down and it was very good. It has spark(I put the plug and wire from the running cylinder in there and same thing). So now the only thing I can think of is one or both of the valves not opening up properly. Is that a common thing with these engines? Maybe a clogged manifold? Thanks

So I got about 175psi out of the cylinder. Then I did a leak down and it was very good. It has spark(I put the plug and wire from the running cylinder in there and same thing). So now the only thing I can think of is one or both of the valves not opening up properly. Is that a common thing with these engines? Maybe a clogged manifold? Thanks

Hi,

I don't have a book on it, but 175 sounds like it's very good. You transferred the spark plug and the wire from the good cylinder...you mean you transferred the wire to that terminal on the cap?

Times when electrical will carry the voltage, but not the amperage...

Do you have another distributor cap to try?

Doug

Is the plug all the way into the hole? If it's cross-threaded it could hold the plug back from getting good spark to the fuel.

The compression number is good.

Unless it's an automatic, then you have solid lifters that require adjustment.

Make sure the exhaust valve isn't stuck closed (bent push-rod) or something.

What makes you sure this cylinder is dead?

BTW - these aren't much like VW engines. They are basically an updated, 1950's Lloyd engine.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Took off the valve cover and the valves moved exactly how they should. I didnt know these things had dual springs. Anyways, thats not the problem. All thats left if ignition or fuel. Is there any possible way for fuel/air not to get into that cylinder? I cant really think of any ways, so it must be ignition. I'll try to get new plugs, cap and rotor tomorow.