Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rust-Free PNW cars- The End is Nigh!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3eyedwagon, you sir, have fully voiced my exact opinion of the people of Seattle. I applaud you :clap:

Its true, if it weren't for the huge population of overly demanding, pathetically ignorant, and sometimes downright stupid people, the world would be a better place. And salt would not be sprayed on the roads.

Most of the people who "want" salt, dont keep their BMW's and Lexus's long enough to realize what salt does to cars, so they just dont care. Factor in that the EPA and the Auto industry would rather have you trade up to the newer, more effecient models as soon as possible, and its just a tough, tough fight for car enthusiasts of every kind everywhere.

On a side note, I actually love the way the county handled our first snow, by doing absolutely nothing to any road that is not a state highway :banana: It keeps the idiots away from my house and I get to have a blast! Sometimes I feel like the only one in town who actually enjoys driving on ice and compact snow, when you know the limits of your vehicle and are aware of your conditions, there is nothing more dangerous about winter driving than summer driving. Unfortunately, many, many people dont understand. I watched a guy 2 days ago, he couldnt keep his explorer on the road in town, driving straight, at 10 mph. He almost front-ended an oncoming pickup, after which I and the driver of the pickup both silently acknowledged the Explorer Driver's winter incompetence with the symbolic head shake :lol:

-Bill

to the people saying how this isn't a problem in idaho-SHUT THE HELL UP!

washington and idaho are right next to exact other.So you will have tons of WA cars coming into idaho dripping with salt.It won't be as bad as washington but WE WILL STILL RUST! or what happens when you need to drive in WA?Around here the walmart is is WA and Pull and Save Is in spokane,WA.Two trips where anything I drive will start rusting away.Not to mention all the countless other trips in WA.

ID and WA share alot of things.Within 30 miles of here there a 4 cities with a wa/ID border:

clarkston,wa/lewiston,id Pullman,wa/Moscow,ID

etc

or what about Spokane/CDA?

Salt in WA will effect us here.

There's actually something to be said about "underpowered" vehicles in poor conditions.

I drove a 383 powered 68 Chevrolet Nova for two winters while in high school, and another two after graduation. It was a legitimate high 11 second car on drag radials, and had a heinously evil stall converter. During the winter it wore a set of slightly burn-out worn BFG Radial TAs. I drove it because it had the worst paint of the cars I owned at the time, and the gravel around here is a little tough on paint. I live about 25 miles from Mt. Baker, and on a pass that closes in the winter due to the inability to handle the ammount of snow that falls. I am not superman. I just learned how my right foot works, and how the car drove. If I can do it, I'm betting alot of people can. People SOMEHOW managed to get around in the 50s, 60s, and 70s when all that was available were heavy powerful rear wheel drive cars. You can't tell me that the human race is just devolving that quickly...:rolleyes: There's just alot more idiots I guess.

You hit that nail on the head.

I think as cars have gotten better, the standard of driving has gotten worse.

I've noted now that in Europe all cars must now be sold with ABS. Pity the kids learning to drive now when the ABS fails & they don't know how to deal with locked up brakes...:-\

I remember how mad i was last year with our huge snows and everyone complaining about how they don't put salt down. Well being from Indiana, i wanted to smack these people and say NO YOU DON'T WANT SALT. When i moved here, i had NEVER seen anything like the cars here, like pacers, bugs, soobies, i was amazed.

i really hope they don't stick with salt because a bunch of people can't drive in the snow or have the sense to just stay home for the day...

snow=:banana::grin:

salt=:mad:

-kelsey

I agree that it's mainly the people of this state. I guess I should say this SIDE (the westside) fo the state. People don't know how to drive, let alone drive in adverse conditions. Here's a story that happened to me recently. On a real icy morning here last Monday, my wife heads to work in here Kia. She gets about 4 blocks from our house, and she sees a BUNCH of people STANDING in the icy street, while cars are sliding everywhere. What had happened is there was a miata that ran into the ditch, so people were "driving" around this car. Well, my wife not knowing how to drive on ice, hit the brakes to avoid the people, but in the process of avoiding the people that are STANDING in an icy road, she looses control of the car and runs the car into a ditch. Avoids hitting anyone or anything. No biggie, winch it out, we are on our way... That is until 2, yes I repeat 2, 4WD trucks run into my wifes bumper while it's in the ditch!!! 2 people in 4WD trucks can't even avoid an accident when there is easily 10 feet to get around it. Amazing. I couldn't believe it. How can you hit a car that you SEE is in the ditch, KNOW is in the ditch, and have TIME to avoid it, and still hit the car. What f'ing tools. Granted my wife should not have been driving the Kia on ice when there is a Subaru with SNOW TIRES on it in the driveway at home, but still. What would have been a simple mistake turned into a 1300 ordeal. Stupid f'ing people and their stupid f'ing 4WD trucks that they can't drive...

Now that I am done with my rant, I also have to agree that WSDOT is only doing what the public wants. Last year was apparently "bad" around here and everyone complained so now they are using salt. But what they don't get is that WSDOT WAS using salt. They started last year. Statewide. But hey, the people are always correct! Or something like that anyways.

I drove around the Kia all last winter and only got stuck once. That was after driving from Olympia to Seattle back to Olympia with 6 inches of snow on the ground. In a Kia. Without snow tires. Even if you do get stuck, if you know anything about driving your car in adverse conditions, you will get it out, even if you have to dig it out! So I don't see what they big deal is, and why everyone fussed about it. Geez.

Salt Sucks! Sand Rocks!

to the people saying how this isn't a problem in idaho-SHUT THE HELL UP!

washington and idaho are right next to exact other.So you will have tons of WA cars coming into idaho dripping with salt.It won't be as bad as washington but WE WILL STILL RUST! or what happens when you need to drive in WA?Around here the walmart is is WA and Pull and Save Is in spokane,WA.Two trips where anything I drive will start rusting away.Not to mention all the countless other trips in WA.

ID and WA share alot of things.Within 30 miles of here there a 4 cities with a wa/ID border:

clarkston,wa/lewiston,id Pullman,wa/Moscow,ID

etc

or what about Spokane/CDA?

Salt in WA will effect us here.

No need to get hasty. Not all of the people in Idaho live as close to the Washington border as you do. Oh and thanks for informing me that WA is right next to ID. I had no idea

No need to get hasty. Not all of the people in Idaho live as close to the Washington border as you do. Oh and thanks for informing me that WA is right next to ID. I had no idea

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

We shall call him Lt. Globe, The Master of all things Geography.

I am sorry to hear that, my 88 gl-10 came from WA, from there it went to FL and finally down to deep south Texas where found it, in all that time it got 3 rust spots one on the rear hatch that has large dent, one small spot on the door, and one on the hood, all rocker panels and the under side is rust free, it amazed me. I bought it for $150 cash, it also had a set of snow chains in it not that I will ever use those. The map of rust prone locations showing the gulf coast of Texas is a little off, most people don't care for their cars enough in this region, if you take care of it it will not rust out here I had a 1979 Chevette that did not rust till it was parked in a back pasture for 5 years, and even then it was fixable but I just turned that car into a dirt track car instead. I know a lot of the jeep guys have started putting Line-X on the undersides and rocker panels, would that work on Subarus or is it too much work?

you have to look at it this way too. HOW MUCH does it really snow in Washington (western) (it really should be two states) the amount of Salt really won't do that much damage unless you drive to the mountains all the time (every day) if you go there then rinse you car off. It is no worse then living next to the salt water, as for the salt they have used it off and on for years they used it in the 70's and 80's ALOT I remember the trucks when I was a kid. (of course that is the 2 or 3 times it snowed for the year...)however I do not remember rust bucket cars as a kid either. I think it really only effects you if you are up in the mountian passes all the time. They used road salt when we lived in CA on Donner pass but that does not mean the cars are that bad in CA.

I really would not worry about it that much. As for last year the complaint where I live was that they DID NOT PLOW AT ALL when it snowed so we had a foot of snow on the road for a 30 minute (snow free drive time) radius around our house. which turned it into a 1 hour and a half. ( if you could make it past the crazy driver which was hard. )

They have been using a spray on DE- ICER for about 5-8 ?? ( I am not sure when they started using it I only remember when the stipes on the road started appearing. ) years now too That was freezing on the roads and leaving a white stripes ( when we had the real cold weather otherwise it makes the road look like it has grooves in it. ) I do not believe it is a salt based product but in the years they have used it I have seen no new rust on our vehicles and we drive ALOT put on about 100, 000 miles a year. The plant life next to the road has not seemed to have changed at all. It has saved lives and avoided accidents. Really folks you act like the snow fall here is significant.

However I am not for salting the roads either but I do not see it as a death threat to older cars. In alot of the states with rust problems you can get your car oiled to ptotect it. However if I lived in Eastern WA I would definatly see it as a problem because they really have snow.

As for the not plowing it to keep stupid drivers home...... IT doesn;t work they are the first ones out and don't care if there is 2 feet of snow on the road..... they still drive 55..... in there 4 wd. It is the rest of us that have some clue. that get hurt when the roads are not taken care of.

Last year was really harry to drive but would not have been if they would have plowed when the snow fell. (The HWY to our house was not even plowed for 3 days minor one though it may be) We had ICE and if they had plowed the roads would have been dry.(I know that because the main HWY was dry ) I think it caused more accidents and caused more problems because the utility vehicles and Aid vehicles COULD NOT get around very well. 5 miles around our house was not plowed at all county roads with a decent amount of residents. you had to drive 5 mph around hairpin corners and up hills it was NOT Fun for the week we had snow. especially as those corners all had crosses....and drop offs without guard rails. especially when those roads had turned to one lane roads and it was always rather interesting to go around blind corners and hope no one was coming. ...... I agree sand and plowing are better doing nothing was STUPID.....this is coming from rural pierce County. 30 minutes from anything (I only wrote Gig HArbor because nobody knows where lakebay is) this is not KAnsas or Eastern WA where if they do not plow you end up on the side of the road. altough I do not live on a mountian if you go off a road on the way to my house you have a really good chance of going over a hill as well. If you go off in the wrong spot you could end up in the salt water as well. (2 spots on the way home) I would perfer salting the roads to a dip in the sound but I would rather you plowed them instead.

Any of you notice last winter the amount of cars damaged? Around my house after the snow last winter about 1/3 of all the cars I passed had dents or dings from accidents caused by the snow I think that is why they did something/

I would prefer no salt too but it is not the end of the world either.