Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RWD Wagon?

So I know that you can rip the front shafts out and cruise around in RWD, but is it safe?

I've heard conflicting stories about it; some say the diffs can handle just about anything, others say that they'll blow in about two months.

Anyone actually done this and has any experience on it? Parts cars around here are a little hard to find and I'd love to try it for a bit, but don't really want to blow my diff up :D

My Brat has been RWD for a year now and, despite driving rather hard too often, I havn't had any diff issues. That said, when something does give out (tranny/diff/axle...), I'm not going to be surprised. And a wagon is heavier, so it'll be harder on the parts.

If you want to do it, do it. I haven't ever found a reason not to. Nobody can give you a definative yes/no answer though. Always a risk. (Aka If it breaks, it's not my fault. :-p)

Yes you can run RWD fine.

If someone had problems I would guess the diff had issues to begin with, it's a 20 year old car with people tinkering with it over the decades.

It's not safe if you drive it in the snow like it was an AWD!:lol:

There are all sorts of folks with various opinions, looking for one answer from multiple people is silly.

It would be cool to do this, but then weld the diff.

But then would a welded rear diff. mess up the 4wd if you wanted to go back to normal (as in put the front shaft back in)?

A welded diff would act just like you think it would. Barking tires and a bit harder on stub shafts. (ask bill) It can and has been done, many, many, times.

As far as going back to 4wd it will act the same. While in FWD you will still get some bark from the back just like you did in RWD. In 4wd it will rock!

Most people do not weld on their DD street drivers. I have known many people to do this on thier DD (sube and non-sube), you just have to get used to wider turns into parking spaces and whatnot.

Hope that helped.

-Caleb

Locked rearends in the snow can save you, or screw you. You have to be very aware of how the car reacts, and it could be just the slope of the road or spining the tires that will send you off the main road and right down F st if you know what I mean. It wont mess anything up driving down the road with a welded diff, I have 3 or 4 rigs with welded diffs and I drive them everywhere, the chirp of the tires gets everones attention at the gas station and they think you have something wrong with your rig that about the only thing that sucks...............

Jeff

With a welded diff, wouldn't fwd be the same? and 4wd would just have both wheels driven instead of one?

FWD would be the same except the fact that both back tires are turing the same amount, "coasting" if you will, around corners. So you will still get the chirp and bark of tires on tight turns but the drivline will not be spinning so they will not be getting power.

The diff is a Hitachi R160, also used in Datsuns.

They're pretty strong, should be able to handle the power of a turbo EA82 if it's in good condition (the diff, that is). Cheap as to replace anyhow as there's heaps of them. Don't know what's on your car but you can get LSD versions too, or swap out the internals.

My buddy has been rocking RWD since we busted his front axle during the weekly subaru beat down. That was almost a year ago and weve had no problems. This car gets ************ kicked. Slid into ditches and curbs, brake stands and burnouts, jumps, and it still gets loaded up and grunted out on road trips.

I did this to mine its way fun when its wet out. well idk that its real hard on anything. over a yr + maybe depending on drivn habits. hell it was raining tonight and i was headn home from shootn some pool. every chance i got i was sideways or driftn across lanes when i drop second its fun as hell. totally worth it

Yes you can run RWD fine.

If someone had problems I would guess the diff had issues to begin with, it's a 20 year old car with people tinkering with it over the decades.

It's not safe if you drive it in the snow like it was an AWD!:lol:

There are all sorts of folks with various opinions, looking for one answer from multiple people is silly.

if you drive an AWD car like it is an AWD car you will go into a ditch or worse.AWD doesn't to piss for braking,and it barely does anything for cornering.AWD is only useful for acceleration. The problem with AWD is that it doesn't slip until your Fecked,then its to late.Its not uncommon around here to see people driving way to fast for the conditions in AWD then winding up in a ditch when they need to turn.However,I believe that a 2wd(fwd or RWD) is better for in the snow because the drive wheels will start slipping long before you will get going fast enough to slide through a telephone pole or something.So because of that you know its slippery out there and slow down..