Ultimate Subaru Message Board

215/70 r 15 studded tires for my OBW?

Stock size is 205/75. Link shows the two sizes are almost identical.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

i disagree, the difference is 0.55 inches in diameter, over 1/2 inch, that's more than 1/4 inch in radius. in my opinion, that is a lot. they may well fit, and if you have the tires for free, it may not cost too much to try them. maybe mount one and try it for a day on both the front and rear before you do all 4. i know that an odd size tire is a no-no, but for a few miles it shouldn't kill anything. (put in the fuse if it is an auto trans.)

for a normal car owner, risking the price of the tires, 300$ - 400$ and the price of mounting them, 40$ - 80$ for just a 1/4 inch of lift is not practical. you could spend close to 500$ and be stuck with tires that rub. the tire shop won't take them back after you've driven on them.

Edited by johnceggleston

Hey on my 96obw I am currently running a Kumho Solus KR21 tire in a slightly larger 215/75/r15 size.(new last month) I have no clearance issues and the rear spring perch is the tightest spot but I can fit my fingertips between(3/8 to 1/2 inch). I had a pair of the 215/75's on the rear only before I put the new tires on all the way around and there was no abnormal wear on the tread or any wear/rubmarks on the sidewall to idicate interference when they were removed. They do certainly fill the wheel wells a little more and I could no longer fit my foot in to use the tire as a step when loading and unloading the roof racks.

Long story short: Run them without worries.

*****the place you need to check is in the rear wheels where the strut perch comes really close to even the factory sized tire.....*****

96-99 outbacks rear struts can clear a 235/75/15. Strictly speaking of the spring perch to tire clearance. *need lift for body to clear tires that large.

• 1 year later...

yes, they worked fine - and those freebies lasted the season last year, and I purchased new one's the same size for this year. You will like the larger size - and it makes the car seem like it's geared a tad bit better too. My son has the car now at college in Idaho. They have had no rubbing issues - and I got new summer tires the same size last spring because I liked the size.

Edited by bkvail

For anybody else that comes across this and reads it, I can confirm (that's 2 confirmed cases now) that these tires are fine. I got a lot more ground clearance, and it does seem to be geared better. I was a little worried because mine were new, but no rubbing issues whatsoever. Anybody that's wanting new tires for their OBW, i'd say go ahead with this size, GREAT investment!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally pulled the trigger, and today bought 4 each 215/70 r 15 tires for my 99 OBW. Specifically, I bought the Yokohama Avid TRZ tires. I just wanted to report back to the forum that they fit just great, no rubs anywhere, and drive great. Car appears to be lifted bout an inch higher, compared to stock tires that were 205/70 r 15. I would recommend this upgrade to anyone buying tires. The additional cost of a few bucks more seems worth it to me.