Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My lock & key situation...

When I got this '87 Brat, the ignition switch had been removed from the lock cylinder on the column. It was mounted up onto the dash, and to start the car, it only took a screwdriver, as the lock cylinder did nothing(obviously, since there was nothing connected to it).

edit:

There are 2 keys. Key cut A, and key cut B.

When I got the car, there were 2 A keys, but I didn't know it at the time, and 1 B. A operates the pass door lock, lock and unlock. A also operates the driver's door lock, unlock only. I found a second A on a magnet, hidden away under some stuff in the bed when I cleaned it out.

B key operates the ignition, but will not operate the door locks.

I had a new key cut from the pass door lock cylinder at Subaru today. The guy ended up just giving me the key, no charge. I guess they no longer have, or make, a W key, which was what the pass lock cylinder called for. They had to make it from an X key blank. After the new key, same situation.

Edited by Speedwagon
I got myself confused at first

If the key you have will operate the lock in one direction, but not the other, then the lock is likely damaged. Time for a new cylinder. It might be easiest to snag a complete set of cylinders out of a wrecking yard and just have THAT key made. Then you'll only have one key to deal with.

Alternatively, a good locksmith can likely re-key all your existing cylinders to be the same.

I edited it for clarity, as I think I was confusing myself with what was what at first.

Easiesy way to do it is have the locksmith make a key for the ignition, then rekey the door lock cylinder's to match. I've even rekeyed door cylinder's myself. A good eye and careful work - it's not that hard. Just have to make sure you don't lose any of those tiny plates and springs.

GD

I did that myself on the '85 Brat, as the ignition was good, but the 2 door locks were off 2 different vehicles. I just made the driver's side work. The biggest problem I had, was A) having enough of the correct plates, and B) putting the face back on the cylinder.

Edited by Speedwagon

Pull some random lock cyclinders from a junk yard. Its not like any pre well used 97 subaru or nissan or toyota cant be opened and started with a tooth pick anyway.

I ve got keys for 5 different subarus and they all work in the drivers door and ignition of all my subarus even my friends skyline. Its rediculous.

Well, I have now mostly rekeyed the ignition switch. It's actually a bit easier to do than the door locks, I think. Only problem is not having enough of the proper plates, so I'm about 3 plates shy of a full key. But it works, and the steering lock is properly working now too. Apparently, a previous owner took it all apart and flipped the steering lock over, so it would disengage in the off position.

New update: I went to leave, for the first time, with the ignition switch all put together. Turns out the key that "works" in the ignition, allows the steering lock to engage in the ON position. It doesn't seem to engage in any other position, just ON.

That could be Very Dangerous! ... 'cos it Should Not Engage Lock in any Key position but Keyless only. I Kindly Suggest you to Remove that Damaged ignition Switch from the Steering Column.

I Remember that when I Was Child, my dad was Drivin' a VW Microbus that Locked the Steering Wheel while Driving! :eek: he did an Emergency Stop and then he has no Choice but to Break the Lockin' Mechanism... including the Turn Signals System... that was Very Dangerous so in order to prevent a similar Situation I Suggest to Remove that ignition Key... Maybe you can Find the Right Replacement.

Kind Regards.

That could be Very Dangerous! ... 'cos it Should Not Engage Lock in any Key position but Keyless only. I Kindly Suggest you to Remove that Damaged ignition Switch from the Steering Column.

I Remember that when I Was Child, my dad was Drivin' a VW Microbus that Locked the Steering Wheel while Driving! :eek: he did an Emergency Stop and then he has no Choice but to Break the Lockin' Mechanism... including the Turn Signals System... that was Very Dangerous so in order to prevent a similar Situation I Suggest to Remove that ignition Key... Maybe you can Find the Right Replacement.

Kind Regards.

See my last post. I had no intention of driving it like it was, and it is fixed now.