Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Tranny, Why Not?

esteveW

I have been reading dozens of posts and threads pertaining to Tranny choices seem to get lost in the process.

One of the factors, although minor, is the need for an adapter if I go with anything other than the tranny that naturally mate to the EJ22 engine.

I want to look at this question from different "Angle", albeit obvious.

Why not just use the Legacy tranny?? And what trannies were offered, that would bolt up directly to the EJ22??

Of course I would want to consider known problems with any of them. Either mechanical, performance and swap problems (particular to the Gen1 Brat).

Steve

Edit: The info below pertains to EA82 cars, I should have read the initial post closer. All though if you can fit the EA 5spd in the gen 1 (I don't know this for sure) there is no doubt in my mind that you can put the EJ 5 speed there too. The size difference is more width and length than height, and even then the difference is minor with the exception of length. EJ auto... good luck as said above they are much much bigger than the 5 spd

There are really only 2 questions to ask yourself about an EA trans vs. an EJ trans... Do you want to have selectable 4wd and how much money do you want to spend.

If you stick with the EA trans you need to buy the adapter plate (what ever that costs) and to my knowledge thats it.

With the EJ trans you need to modify your front and rear trans crossmember to accept the ej center crossmember section (You can make the front member work but it is pretty close to the trans when everything is bolted up. I have some 1/8'' spacers under my front crossmember to give a little extra room. For the rear portion, I used a piece of 1/4'' x 4'' flat bar to make the rear section.) Or you can find xt6 crossmember pieces (front and rear) and use the ej center portion.

The shift linkage is also different between the two transmissions. I used the original EA shifter handle and cup assy and just welded the end of the strut bar from the EJ linkage onto the EA parts (after you check length and shorten of coarse). The actual shift rod will bolt to the EJ trans but will need to be shortened.

The driveshaft needs to be shortened 55mm (2'' - 2 1/8'') -not super critical I went with 2 1/8'' (This kept the cup around the output seal of the trans beyond the lip to protect it. It ended up in the exact same place as it was with the original ft4wd EA trans)

For axles, all you need is EA turbo 25 spline axles. You could probably just buy the cups from rockford cv (I don't know that for sure though)

For the clutch garbage, I took the cable bracket off my 88 ft4wd Trans and trimmed a little off of the bottom of it. It bolted right up to the '01 2.5RS trans I used. I also used the release fork off the ft4wd trans (there are 2 holes inside the bellhousing for the release fork pivot ball, the one closer to the input shaft is for the hydraulic clutch and the one further away is for the cable style) I don't know that all EJ trans have both holes but my '01 5spd did... someone else hopefully can clarify.

I think that's it... I have about 4,000 problem free miles on my swap and the ej awd is far superior to the old ft4wd and even the selectable 4wd cars in my opinion. (from a street driving standpoint) You could feel the power difference with the center diff locked in the ft4wd trans and when in 4wd on the selectables. Also if you dumped the clutch with the ft4wd trans you could still get single front tire burnouts... not acceptable in my opinion.

All in all, if you don't own the proper tools to modify things to make it all work... save yourself some money and buy the adapter plate.

Scott

Edited by subiekid

without a lift, the much larger tranny case of the EJ series is not going to fit in the tunnel or under the spare tire holder by firewall.

The 5MT only part that is bigger is the bellhousing and it's only a smidge. the AWD trans are longer, but not any wider.

It would totally fit under the tire holder and in the tunnel.

And one could swap 23 spline stubs from an EA5spd into the EJ 5spd and then you could run stock axles for whatever rig (ea71,ea81,ea82)

IMO, a custom length driveline is the ONLY thing that really needs to be custom. Everything else can be made to work using subaru parts (Legos!)

"ONLY" is the wrong way to put it, have you done this swap? There is a bit more too it than the drive line. It is done using all subaru parts but they must be modified for the particular vehicle they are being installed on. It doesn't matter which shift linkage you use: EA or EJ your going to modify it to work. If you find the xt6 crossmember pieces you will be good there otherwise your going to be modifying the stock front and rear crossmember piece to accept the center piece (not to mention the stock EA rear piece is too thin to do anything with anyway). Your also going to have to modify the exhaust hanger on the back of the trans to make either the EA or EJ hanger work.

Any way you look at it there is more too it than shortening the driveline.

If it's turbo, I agree as the downpipe is bolted to the side of the trans. If non-turbo you should have that hanger, without it your going from the heads to the rear axle with no support at all. If your just cruising around town it would probably be fine but get off the pavement and beat on it a bit and see what happens... not good. Just my $.2.

i'm not sure what he means by 4EAT's and 5MT's not fitting, but i don't believe that's the case. they should fit just fine. there are EA82's that came with 4EAT's and they aren't any different than the EJ 4EAT's - actually they're interchangeable if you swap wiring.

well, subaru did increase the size of the trans tunnel in 88 (I have literature that describes the change), so fitting a 4eat into an early ea82 or any ea81/71 could be difficult.

But I don't really think that is what this thread is about.

well, subaru did increase the size of the trans tunnel in 88 (I have literature that describes the change), so fitting a 4eat into an early ea82 or any ea81/71 could be difficult.

But I don't really think that is what this thread is about.

oh right on, i'm not familiar with pre-88 stuff at all (well excluding 87.5 XT Turbo but that hardly counts!).

The axles aren't an issue. You can swap around the DOJ's or the front diff stubs for that matter. It can work you just need a front DOJ with a 25 spline cup. 2WD impreza DOJ's I have heard are the answer....

Anway - the EJ transmissions are lacking in a low range, and they have no front bearing to support the input shaft so they tend to suffer from a lot more input shaft rear bearing failures as it takes all the load. They usually claims them somewhere between 150 and 250k. That bearing can be replaced (usually along with syncro's by the time it goes) - it's not that hard but it's something the EA transmissions don't suffer from.

Basically no one really does this as most people who put EJ's into EA bodies are looking to turn larger tires and the low range is desireable. You can't get that with a US market EJ transmission so people don't use them. End of story. There have been plenty of folks that have built "street" EA's using complete EJ drivetrain's - usually an EJ20T drivetrain from a WRX, etc. There's just not as many of them.

GD