Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking at purchasing a non-running 97 Legacy Outback and want to tow it on my dolly. I know it has an Automatic, but haven't been able to confirm the drive configuration. I'm assuming it will be AWD and not way to disengage the rear wheels.

Is there a way to tow this vehicle on it's rear wheels for a 100 miles or so??

Or should I figure on disconnecting the rear drive shaft??

If disconnect it at the differential, is the connection at the center bearing splined at the back side so I can just pull it off??

I tried to search this but there were just too many variables to get the info I need.

Thanks,

Steve

has to be AWD and yes it will need to be towed.

just disconnect the rear driveshaft - i always disconnect them at the rear differential, just 4 12mm bolts and i can typically leave the shaft just laying there on the protector that a lot of EJ's have.

found one with a blown EJ25 huh, man they're a dime a dozen!

Best way - disconnect rear drive shaft at the rear.

Next best - fuse in FWD place by pass side strut tower/firewall. This is definatley second choice - althought I've had pretty good luck using it. If I do I try and start the car every so often (but you said this one wouldn't run).

Third - hire someone with a flatbed. More expensive but may be cheap in the long run.

found one with a blown EJ25 huh, man they're a dime a dozen!

Off topic but I'll ask here since you mentioned it.

Yes, seller reports that it has "blown gaskets". I'm assuming that means head gaskets.

What is the history on these EJ25. And is it that big a deal to pull the engine and replace the head gaskets??

Very tempting price of $400 but he also says "Rear passenger wheel needs new rods. ", not sure what that means. Looks to be setting square/flat.

Waiting for a call or email regarding these matters.

Maybe I should run as fast as I can.:eek:

Steve

There's no problem if the driveshaft is disconnected and it means nothing to the rear diff. This is done all the time, disconnecting the shaft is fine.

If a rear differential fails due to spinning, it's certainly not capable of doing it's job while under load from the engine. They are very simple units really.

Next best - fuse in FWD place by pass side strut tower/firewall. This is definatley second choice - althought I've had pretty good luck using it. If I do I try and start the car every so often (but you said this one wouldn't run).

:eek: The car MUST be running for the FWD fuse to work!!! Please don't think towing a non-running car like this is ok! :eek:

We have been talking about a Automatic here so far. And it has been very informative.

Now I'm looking on Craigslist at a 5 spd manual tranny in a 92 Legasy and that means it will be All Wheel Drive and no way to disengage the front and rear drive. Is they still engaged even when the gear box is in nuetral?? I'm thinking yes!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Steve