Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Impreza 2.2 auto AWD SW.

We had a snowstorm here lately Took the allseasons off . I wanted to try our new snow tires . Was out there and on the way home and to avoid some else's driving error, I had to accelerate hard in the snow , WOW , Really had traction , awesome , but the car developed a vibration after that , between 25 mph to 50 mph . Went to my tire shop , they checked tires , rebalance 3 , the 4th they changed , it had wheel hop or tramp. Still a vibration , but not as bad with the rebalancing of the tires .

Today I took it for an oil change. My mechanic listened and found that we are in need of the 3 " U joints " in the Center driveshaft . Does any one know what the part # of the joint is ?

The garage took the 2 piece center drive shaft off , and the joints are easy one way and really stiff the other . Bad . A phone call to the local driveshaft co. and they said 500$ :eek: and they would fix it .

Going to see if a salvage yard has one.... any ideas ?

Ok back up.

They replaced 1 tire? Tires should be replaced in sets of 4, two, one per axle if in a pinch (unless wear is within 1/4 inch circfrance on the tires).

NO NO NO

Or did the replace 1 wheel?

There are no Universals that fit this car because they arent servicable. Also it is rare that three of the four go bad. Get a second opinion.

Also a bad uni vibration does not appear this way. It starts at high speed then slowly drifts down.

I dont like anything you have been told.

nipper

Sorry, Nipper , we had 4 brand new tires put on at the same time , on the car about 3 weeks ago .

The car has 223912 kms on it , forgot to tell you the mileage .

The mechanic showed the joints so I could see for myself .

I will look for a used one today as well a a rebuild , since the frt and rear shaft u joints are worn / seized .

Thanks , Casey

Also a bad uni vibration does not appear this way. It starts at high speed then slowly drifts down.
I suspect the joint was already bad, and the vibrations were also there, but it wasn't that pronounced, and he didn't notice until there was another problem causing him to notice all the cars quirks and vibrations. That's when you get sensitive to that kind of thing. It's kind of like when your eyes start to go south as you approach your 50's. Your vision gets bad gradually, yet you don't notice, till the one day you wake up and realize, crap, my vision sucks. I need bifocals!

PS. That hasn't happened to me.... Yet! But I'm in that age bracket where all sorts of things start going south. :-\

PPS.

There are no Universals that fit this car because they arent servicable. Also it is rare that three of the four go bad. Get a second opinion.

I agree with that. Seems like it's always the one closest to the tranny that goes first.

Edited by Sonicfrog

What makes the U joints not serviceable?

The are welded/stacked to the driveshaft. There are no snap rings to get the caps out. You must replace the entire Universal, inclding the knuckles. Technically anything is servicable and a good driveshaft shop can rebuild them, but it will cost $$$ to do it. Just better off geting a used one.

Bummer , no used driveshafts around this neck of the woods . Well , I have been checking with a U joint supplier , they said take the driveshaft off , measure with the micrometer , and see what they can supply and what I have to modify around the yokes . :)

Maybe next week I'll get some time for that . Going to drive our Acclaim for now , don't want to damage our Imp any further.

Edited by imprezaII
forgot

Well , I have been checking with a U joint supplier , they said take the driveshaft off , measure with the micrometer , and see what they can supply and what I have to modify around the yokes . :)

No. Just get a used one. After all this is done then it still has to be balanced. Too much work, too much cost and not something one should do in the garage.

nipper

i find it really odd that 3 universals failed just when you put on your winter wheels.

are you sure it is the universal joints? not the center carrier bearing? it doesn't matter much, you still need to replace, but ... just wondering.

could driving over snow drifts or plowed snow mounds damage universals?

i find it really odd that 3 universals failed just when you put on your winter wheels.

are you sure it is the universal joints? not the center carrier bearing? it doesn't matter much, you still need to replace, but ... just wondering.

could driving over snow drifts or plowed snow mounds damage universals?

I am begining to think the vibration / inbalance was there before , but in the snowstorm I was really pushing the car's limits and when the snow cleared away , it didn't feel as smooth as before .

No. Just get a used one. After all this is done then it still has to be balanced. Too much work, too much cost and not something one should do in the garage.

nipper

Local yard found one , should be here Tues , out of state/province, .. $ 200 landed .... Best part of the deal is , if the shaft is not good , I pay nothing .

Thats awesome you found one. I blew out a U joint on the driveshaft and ended up taking on from a legacy, cutting two inches out of it and having it welded back together. Thankfully I have a few connections so it wasn't too bad. be glad you caught it before it broke on you, when they break, they like to take other stuff out with them.

I had a rare 79 Datsun 810 coupe that blew the u-joint. I know it was vibrating, and did nothing about it. One night, I'm driving home, and, suddenly, the engine revved and there was a rapid klunk-klunk-klunk. Felt like I was driving over a mount of bricks. I was lucky that I was going pretty slow at the time, and the flailing driveline didn't shear the brakelines.

We do not think the rear driveshaft is bad after all ,vibration is there between 25 mph 55 mph . The following is what we done , some at the subaru dealer , and they treated us very fair , and other parts at our local garage .

We checked everything , with car on hoist....

- took the drive shaft off on the rear .

- pulled all the wheels off . roadforce balance each tire , meaning as they spin the wheel on the balancer , there is a roller pushing on the tire as the same time it is being balanced... :cool:

- put fuse in FWD mode .

- removed each front CV shaft one at a time .

- removed each rear brakedrum one at a time .

car off the hoist .....

- checked engine performance re: sensors , timing , air fuel , plugs , wires , fuel filter , etc .

- used different brand of fuel, just in case .

Noticed something today, when I made a turn rather quickly on the snow covered road , the car went through the turn as if I had a big Chev Caprice. The car drove from the back and did not pull from the front . Is that normal ?

Any thoughts ?? thanks.:confused:

Check the inner tie rods.

nipper

That was a good idea , had checked that also at the dealer . The suspension checked out good , with the exception of one sway link on the rear that is starting to get loose .

This vibration that is in the car is starting to get real annoying .