Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Subrau's are NON-Interference engines?

Thanks for the non-interference validation. I'm curious about three things.

1.  I've found a Mizumo Timing Belt Replacement Kit on Ebay for $125. It doesn't include the water pump but it does include the hydraulic tensioner. Putting a water pump in my cart brings the total cost to $156. That's good, isn't it? A mechanic will be doing the work, not me.

2.  The car dies, usually once or twice a day. But if I tromp on the gas it recovers. The Subaru expert thought it was electrical and replaced a v-shaped fuse thingie but that made no difference. Maybe it's a dying fuel pump? I put some B12 Berryman's in a one-quarter-full gas tank and drove it like I stole it. That was two days ago and the car has only died once since.

3.  A Nissan mechanic hooked the car up to a computer and said there were no engine codes. That's good too, isn't it?

Pictures coming soon.

I'd lean towards Gates or Subaru as well unless you can verify a good quality belt.  The Gates kits on Amazon are inexpensive.

As to the car dying - if it's doing it when your foot is not on the gas pedal that is usually the idle control mechanism.

1. clean it on the vehicle

2.  clean it off the vehicle

3. install a used one (clean it first) - they rarely fail so this is a great and inexpensive option.

• 1 year later...

Love that motor. I have a 1992 legacy with 384,000 miles on the original engine. Never been out of the car. Only had to replace valve cover and oil pan gaskets. That motor outlasted the trans and center diff, both of which have been replaced. Hopefully going to pick up a 94 thats AWD on tuesday with a popped engine (no oil will do that I've heard) and I will using it to convert mine from FWD to AWD. Really excited considering its free.

Early Phase 1 EJ SOHC engines are non interference.

All EJ DOHC (quad cam) engines are interference ( valve to valve interference on each side as well)

Phase 2 EJ SOHC engines with engine code ending with a number eg EJ251 are interference.

I wouldn't take any chances at all on delaying cam belt changes  etc assuming that your engine is non - interference.

Edited by subnz