Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am doing a major over haul on a ej-22 and I want to know from someone who has done some skrimping what I can do to skrimp on the job.

I got the car reeeeeel cheap off of craigs list listed as blown head gasket, it was just super high miles and I have it out and torn down. Next to whone the cylinders&all.

I WANT TO USE ONLY 10/1000 OVER RINGS - HOW CAN I REUSE THE REST?

Point is I want to reuse the metal head gaskets Is there any way? any trick?

I know I am too cheap but I cannot afford the $1000 for all (gasket kit, bearings, rings, water and oil pump)to do it all right right now - maybe I should just wait.:banana:

How many miles are on the vehicle? I would most definitely wait! How sure are you that it has blown head gasket(s)? The EJ22 never had any problems with them like the 2.5's of 00-04...If you do wait until you have the funds and you do the job properly that engine should last you a good LONG while...

OK sorry to be unclear - It has intact good head gaskets it had just been abused and over 200kmiles enough for the compression to drop down ( but even low all the cylinders equal - just low ) hence the 10 over.

I bought it unknown and I don't know the whole story about the engine- you are right about waiting: I am a snowboarder is why I chose this model of car. I also travel much as I can and a wagon suits as a place to lay down at. I need something reliable and I guess I better wait. I am in florida now so Ice and snow are not a problem at all. That is what I got the car for - snow driving.

Are you sure it needs reboring?

These motors usualy have good bores forever. I'd try for a new set of rings, regrooved pistons, big-end and main bearings, valve grind, gaskets, seals and cam belt. The pump you can inspect and measure and unless it's buggered you can put it back on again, they are easy to do later.

forget all the bottom end work.

if you are going for cheap, let me tell ya:lol:

Do the head gaskets, if your kit has the valve guide seals, may as well use them. use a valve spring tool rental, and get some valve lapping paste and polish the valve seats.

take off all the timing covers and do the cam seals. do the front crank seal.

leave the rear seal alone as it most likely is not leaking, they last forever, you have the option to do that later with the clutch.

leave all the timing covers off, this makes future maintenance easier, and use the same belt if its not bad. you can do the work later, and just as quick sans covers(inner and outer)

the water pump can be done later without taking off a bunch of stuff

do the oil pan as its cheap enough and easiest to do out-of-car

leave the water pump alone if its known good

if you know how to do the work, labor is free, but parts cost $$

you can do all this for maybe 75 bucks

otherwise if you get all the other associated parts including water pump and timing belt set, you will land somewhere between 200 and 300 bucks, still cheaper than $1000

this can be done really cheap. reusing headgaskets is not something that's ever done or recommended.

i bought an EJ18 in perfectly running condition from a junk yard for $150. even had a 3 or 6 month warranty (didn't need it really).

doesn't look like many subaru's around you, here's the only cheap one i could find $300 for an EJ18:

866-410-6173

Edited by grossgary

Better question, how long do you want the car to last and how much money do you want to piss away?

You can not reuse head gaskets, as they are a compression gasket. They are designed to be deformed when the bolts are torqued.

What are you calling low comprsssion?

I would do an engine swap, as doing a low budget rebuild will most likley come back to bite you in the wallet relativly quickly.

nipper