Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The 74 sedan thread.....................

:grin: Alright already ..... :) I should be done with my day gig project this week and I'll be going nuts at storage. ..... now that its 90 degrees and 95% humidity ....:mad:

So does that mean we got a date this weekend? ; )

It's funny there seems to be an abundance of 1974 Subarus!

Love what you are doing/planning to do with yours Subafreak.

One of these days I will have to put up photos of my '74 sedan.

Yes! Everyone loves photos. :)

Something I just realized, you bought that car from the county I live in.

I might have seen it around here... ;)

Hope you get it going soon!

And please ignore the comments from the peanut gallery.

Twitch

Yeah the plate kinda gives it away. I tell people i found it in a potato field.

• 2 weeks later...
Busy , heat , life ... but yeah ,we've gotta connect soon. You up for coming down ealry or late to work around the heat?

Hell, I,ll come down after work during the week if i have to catch u then.

In fact after this saturday it maybe the only time i have to make it down there. Just let me know when.

OK sounds good.

Your stuff I can get out fairly quickly ... I hope. Probably allow a couple hours for helping me / helping you. Not sure how much hanging around picking thru boxes of used stuff you want to do. But if its mostly about loading up the engine and locating a few items that should go quick.

If you're really willing to spend some time helping sort stuff I'd love to take a night off and work late night night ... which would screw you up royally for your job. :) Cold beers thru the night , breakfast at sunrise and you're on your way home. :eek:

Just a thought.

OK sounds good.

Your stuff I can get out fairly quickly ... I hope. Probably allow a couple hours for helping me / helping you. Not sure how much hanging around picking thru boxes of used stuff you want to do. But if its mostly about loading up the engine and locating a few items that should go quick.

If you're really willing to spend some time helping sort stuff I'd love to take a night off and work late night night ... which would screw you up royally for your job. :) Cold beers thru the night , breakfast at sunrise and you're on your way home. :eek:

Just a thought.

LOL, you trying to kill me? We would have to save that for a friday night. I already missed work today because i felt like i was gonna die this morning.....think i inhaled to many paint fumes working on the car this weekend.

So for now lets keep it a simple smash and grab operation, just give me a night.

There we go a bunch of random photos. Sorry i had more of a step by step thing going but my computer never seems to stay logged on enough to load all the photos rite.

First one was just kinda messing around with how low i could go.....not that low.

Second is of the adapted 90's Legacy master cylinder.

And so on and so forth, time for dinner....

You can go lower, just need to do some creative fender rolling/cutting :P

Carbon wrap sideskirts!?!!!

Oh and that 360 parts truck... I SOOOO need one for work its not even funny (I work at a Subaru dealer parts department, and our warehouse with all the big parts is next door, and I never have a truck to bring anything over!)

LOL, yes the 360 was thrown in just for fun, because it was there.

Yeah i dont know about going much lower than that, there were no springs in the front in that picture. And the fenders on these stage one cars have a weird inverted flare on them that make them almost impossible to roll out, but i'll figure something out.

The carbon fiber rocker panels? Yeah well there were a few rust holes and stuff on them that i didnt feel like bondoing up, plus someone gave me rolls of carbon fiber (wink wink). So i treated them with POR 15 and covered them with carbon fiber....why not!

Ok so the other day i got the rear mostly together, painted the control arms and brakes and dropped the torsion bars one spline down.

Now to anyone else that has dropped the rear, how many splines did you go? It seemed like a little went a long way on these? And since im running wide tires and do plan on having small people in the back from time to time i didnt want to go crazy with it.

Also, anyone got a good number for a slightly shorter than stock rear shock for these? Advanced dont even list the stock one....in fact i dont think they list anything for a 74.

I'd start with two splines and see how that works. When my car is almost finished i'm going to try out height adjustments so I know what the weight is with the car, but until them i'm keeping it sitting higher so its easier to work on (note: The ff-1 rear is actually quite similar to the gen 1's).

As for the shocks, I have the info for them. 14.635" max length, 11.445" minimum length, 3.189" stroke.

The best thing to do is go through the Tokico/Monroe/KYB cross reference lists and find a shock with similar ratings but say 1" lower (it took me many hours of printing out pages and cross referencing online to figure out what model cars had the size/connection points of shocks I could use). I'd say use the ones I have, but they are significantly shorter than that.

Ok. This is what you have to cut off the trailing arm to clear the rear disks, and this is what it will look like after you do.

DSC00388.jpg

This is what you need to do to it to restore its integrity.

DSC00389.jpg

Add a bracket to hold the brake hose.

DSC00432.jpg

And bam! Rear disks on your Gen 1.

DSC00434.jpg

And one more of the 360. Just for fun.

DSC00383.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Got the engine out last weekend and it's definitly junk! One of the rod bearings is compleatly gone! I dont think they ever changed the oil in this thing.

So i got a good dry sleave 1400 from Paul, just gotta swap the cam and the heads and drop it in.

Most of the interior is back together. Not gonna have a chance to go crazy fixing all of it right now. Just cleaned it up, repaired the dash (expanding foam and plastic bumper repair + undercoating do work really well) and got a better drivers seat for it.

Also scored some free rear shocks!!! Found them kicking around the shop, brand new and exactly what i needed. I belive they are a roughcountry shock. Will post the part number when im back under the car.

Also got all the disk brakes in the car. The Loyal rear disks and gen 2 vented front disks. All new or rebuilt brakes stuff, new wheel bearings all around, new axles both sides.

Getting real close!!

Sorry will have more oics up when i can.