Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have been driving around the new Legacy with the CVT and love it. I am getting 28+ mpg in mixed driving and can hit 31 in freeway driving.

The wife is hanging onto her old squeaky Impreza until she sees the new CVT in a Forester or Impreza. The current models get equal or worse gas mileage than her Impreza.

Anybody hear any rumors about the CVT being available in more models in 2011?

I searched on the internet and everybody seems to be real excited about the RWD Impreza coupe. I figure Subaru may play their CVT plans close to the vest so they do not tank the current model year sales. Toyota had a similar thing happen when they announced that the Prius will be "plug in" in a year or two. Now the Toyota lots are filling up with Prius.

I would like to see how the CVT holds up. This is a very expensive component to replace. Even dealer repair is not an option, the CVT is sealed and "repair" consists of replacement with a new/ rebuilt unit from the factory. Unlike those who bought the 2.5L Phase I engine, I don't want to end up as an unknowing and thoroughly screwed over beta tester.

Having said that, yes, I was impressed with the Subaru CVT. If the CVT holds up, I'd be glad to have one in my next Forester. The major downside to the CVT is that you lose nearly ALL of the legendary Subaru towing capability.

Edited by The Dude

Hey Dude,

Yea, by design, a CVT is limited as to the load and torque it can handle. But I would think, it will be cheaper to replace one of those than a conventional automatic trans, because they are cheaper to produce.

But if they mfg. it cheaper and raise the price, that might be par for the course:)

I can't see where they will take a lot of abuse off road or with monster tires tho.

Doug

I know CVT's in the past have not lasted long, I wonder what kind of improvements have been made to the design to warrant the re-introduction?

Actually thats not really true. !st this is a completly differnt design (becoming the owner of a Justy I can now speak as an expert after much research). There are several variations on CVT's out there and they seem to be doing well. In the Justys case Subaru was just asking for too much from too little a car. The biggest flaws with the Justy were too long a fluid change interval for such little volume of fluid (asking for 7000 miles out of 3 qts of oil is too much). The CVT was misunderstood by dealerships, and it is a surprsingly simple unit. The #1 fault for them was the brushes would go bad, and at 200.00 a pop people baulked at it. That was alos 20 years ago. A well maintaned Justy can go over 150,000 miles.

CVT's have been around for almost 7 years now. The only real issues i have seen isnt so much the CVT itself, but its valve body anc computer mgmt. I can make the same statement about 2001 BMW automatics (my sisters loved to go into two gears at once, 4 tranny laters she sold it), but I wont condem all geared autos for that fault either.

nipper

well, the 4eat's and the 5eat's are quite reliable these days (take the SVX one off the equation), so IF they can make the CVT the same in reliability terms, then we have a winner.

Otherwise, if they build it to just get out of warranty, we will have a LOT of newer ones cheaply for sale as prime 5mt swap candidates.

well, the 4eat's and the 5eat's are quite reliable these days (take the SVX one off the equation), so IF they can make the CVT the same in reliability terms, then we have a winner.

Otherwise, if they build it to just get out of warranty, we will have a LOT of newer ones cheaply for sale as prime 5mt swap candidates.

But that's if the 5mt is still available...

I suspect we will have a 6mt's to play around with soon enough :D

Twitch