Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need advice about buying 84 gl turbo wagon

i have the opportunity to purchase a one owner 1984 subaru gl turbo wagon that has 85000 miles on it. it is an automatic with 4 wheel drive. it is absolutely immaculate on the inside and out, could pass for brand new as it was garage kept its whole life. the car is for sale at a very reputable subaru shop here in oregon and they want $3000.00 for it. i test drove it today for about an hour and the thing runs flawlessly. the shift into reverse is a little loud but it ran sooooo nice.

does anyone have any advice about the reliability of the ea81 turbo engine or experience with this vehicle that could help me in either deciding to go through with the purchase or not? is $3000.00 too much for it? i need a second car for my wife to run around town with. should i put 3 grand into this or an older legacy that i know will run forever???

thanks for any advice...

i have the opportunity to purchase a one owner 1984 subaru gl turbo wagon that has 85000 miles on it. it is an automatic with 4 wheel drive. it is absolutely immaculate on the inside and out, could pass for brand new as it was garage kept its whole life. the car is for sale at a very reputable subaru shop here in oregon and they want $3000.00 for it. i test drove it today for about an hour and the thing runs flawlessly. the shift into reverse is a little loud but it ran sooooo nice.

does anyone have any advice about the reliability of the ea81 turbo engine or experience with this vehicle that could help me in either deciding to go through with the purchase or not? is $3000.00 too much for it? i need a second car for my wife to run around town with. should i put 3 grand into this or an older legacy that i know will run forever???

thanks for any advice...

Worth buying = Yes

For the wife to "run around town with" = defintely no. No offense to your wife intended.

If the car is as flawless as you say.......it deserves to continue to be garaged and preserved. Keep it very nice for another 10,15 or 25 years and it will be worth more with every passing year. It arguabley already is.

Maybe "For Wife and I to drive to a picnic on a nice summer day"

Definatley go with the Legacy if you just need a runabout.

Edited by Gloyale

Not worth $3,000. You could buy a 90 to 94 Legacy wagon - get more HP, better mileage (a lot better), and nicer/newer amenities with the same mileage for probably less than that price.

The EA81T is very primitive - it makes 95 HP, has very dated electronics and fuel injection, and is very hard to source components for.

It may be "nice", but it's value is purely as a collectible for the right person - not as a daily driver, and certainly not for the price being asked.

A good condition, low mileage EA81 wagon is worth *maybe* $1,000. The turbo doesn't add to the value - it actually detracts from the value due to the complexity, automatic transmission, etc. Those are detracting points for the EA81 body. It's worth more as a parts car for a turbo Brat frankly.

If you are looking for a nice wagon - I have a '95 L that will be for sale soon - auto, ABS, all power, 6 speaker, factory CD, roof rack, rear spoiler, 165k. It will have a full 60k service done shortly. I was going to list it for $2500. Just to give you some perspective.

GD

I am just so torn over it because I've always wanted an older GL and I just happened to have got my tax return so I do have the money for it. I was worried about the turbo on it as I have seen GL-10s have problems and I've only ever owned loyales and legacies so I don't know much about the older subarus.

I would consider myself a subaru enthusiast but I wouldn't just keep it garaged. It would see less than 3000 miles a year of driving but I'm starting to listen to my more reasonable side and am thinking that I'll let this one go. The guys at the shop said they were going to use the car for shows as they collect and restore brats and other older cars.

The shop has a few older legacy wagons that need new engines that they can put a 100k ej22 in with all new seals, timing belt, water and oil pump, hoses and belts for $3000. Maybe I'll do that but I sure do want that 84 so bad. If only I had $6000 to spend on cars right now.

I cut my "turbo" teeth on this model, I've owned and worked on several of them. They can be a bit finicky, like all the early turbo engines from Subaru, but the parts arent that hard to find.

One in this condition and low miles should not be a DD for your wife (been there, done that....it was wrecked in less than a year).

Get a Legacy if you want a DD.

And I think I know who has the car for sale and will guarantee any car or work from his shops. I also know he probably wont budge on the price.

He might work with you on a Legacy tho.