Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I'm just about through with the freshen up on my 99 EJ25D I got, one of the last of the NA dual cams. It's going to go back into my 97 OBW in hopes that it will be emissions complient if the EGR is working well. But this motor should turn out really nice, I went through the whole shortblock, it was about to lose its rod bearings, so I replaced all the bearings and rings and just got the short block done the other day. Everything has been gone through and checked and measured and the head gasket surface is flatter than when it left the subaru dealer. Now all thats left is setting the lash on the heads and putting all that stuff back on. Looks like it should come out even decent, and for anyone that might need a motor I built my EJ22 the same way and it came out even better. And it's going to need a good home after the 2.5 is in.

I can't wait to see what this motors like, the EJ22 was great but a little on the underpowered side, that extra 30hp might be nice to have.

2010-02-03122610.jpg

2010-02-03122337.jpg

2010-02-03122404.jpg

2010-02-03122456.jpg

2010-02-03122504.jpg

Edited by Gsir08

No oversized pistons, seems like these subaru bores hardly ever wear I don't know how many miles on this one but you can see theres no wear ridge.

Pretty much time to bolt the heads on, I got the lash adjusted on them both today.

They got a complete valve job, resurfaced, I pulled the old nasty studs off the exhaust manifold side and cut them flat. They were reassembled with new valve stem seals and are as good as new.

2010-02-04230117.jpg

2010-02-04230208.jpg

2010-02-04230327.jpg

2010-02-04230220.jpg

Edited by Gsir08

ya im going to have to... even though I find it hard to believe with the head and block so flat that fel pro's wouldnt work. And make it to well over 100,000, I think its more about maintanence than anything else and how the motors driven as to wether itll lose a headgasket.

BUT I did read that subaru redisgned the gasket so it must be better...

Holy timing belt...

Little more complicated than the 2.2L but still not too bad

And I'm debating installing this oil cooler? Any idea what car this came from? Did they put these on outbacks ever?

I know for sure they put those on th '91 EJ22T SS, not sure what else. I think generally they're considered unnecessary, as they didn't put them on the '92-94 EJ22T, but I think it depends more on the application - high HP, etc.

Based on that beautiful block, I probably don't have to say this, but ensure your replace those rubber/silicone hose on the oil cooler. Rumor is they're a point of failure.

Td