Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 63 engine rebuild question

I've got a real nice 1975 4-wheel drive wagon. It had been sitting for years but the usual fluid changes and carb rebuild got it running. However, it smoked and had poor power, even for a 1400 Soobie. Occasionally, the engine would race with my foot off the gas pedal, but a couple of stabs at it would calm things down to normal. One day, that didn't do it!

The primary throttle plate came off the shaft and was swallowed. After removing the carb, then the intake manifold; probing with pinchers, grabbers and magnets, I determined it was in a cylinder. Well, the engine was tired anyway so I pulled it out but I have not yet opened it.

Three questions:

1. A source for rebuild kits and parts for an EA 63.

2. Will an EA 71 bolt in? I found out that an EA 81 will not.

3. Has anyone done any interesting swaps, such as a Mazda rotary, or VW?

Your question *technically* belongs in the Historic section, but as it deals with engine rebuilding it's probably going to garner more attention here anyway.

I don't know if the EA71 would bolt up - but it's entirely possible. The EA63 and EA71 are very similar in design.

You are going to have a hard time finding parts and rebuild components - I know that Subaru no longer has any head gaskets for EA71's and I doubt they would have much of anything for the EA63's - though you should check there first - if they have anything their parts are prefered.

Try www.rockauto.com - they have about as extensive a collection of parts as I've seen online.

Another option would be to source a complete EA71 and transmission - it should more or less drop in without much difficulty as the later 70's 4WD's had this setup.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Hey,

Look here for gasket sets, rings, valves...bearings are common among early ea engines I believe.

http://stores.ebay.com/Vintage-Imports-Inc_Subaru_W0QQ_fsubZ9742663QQ_sidZ7898167QQ_stickyZ1QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14?_sop=10&_sc=1

Have a couple more sources if you need them. The FUJI exhaust valves on that page for two dollars each are original equipment.

Doug

I don't know if the EA71 would bolt up - but it's entirely possible. The EA63 and EA71 are very similar in design.

You are going to have a hard time finding parts and rebuild components - I know that Subaru no longer has any head gaskets for EA71's and I doubt they would have much of anything for the EA63's - though you should check there first - if they have anything their parts are prefered.

GD

EA63 Head gaskets from subaru are no longer availble. I found most stuff for 1400s were no longer availble for subaru apart from the odd bit.

You can fit a EA71 in if you got the right factory bell housing to do so ( saying that it was on fWD 1400s . I spose that would be the same??? )

I know that there is a guy out by us that custom makes gaskets for any car.Don't know how much he charges but...Always a option. I think?? he ships but not sure. He manily deals with rare and classic cars and is a wiz at it. Also sells old stock..

http://www.olsonsgaskets.com/products.html

I think this is his web page.. Guy is in his 60's and KNOWS CARS. Helped us out a bunch with our 52 dodge...very informative. (friend of a friend of ours) HE has rebuilt personally tons of old cars mostly american but....I tend to go over there and Drool....at his current project.

Does your EA63 have 2 or 4 exhaust ports?

Just what I wanted to know moosens! I believe the later 1400 gearbox would allow a very simple swap over to the EA71 without needing to muck around with 'spacing' the bell housing, as would be the case with an early 4 port EA63.

While EA63 head gaskets appear on eBay all the time the tricky part of an EA63 rebuild would be replacing the round gaskets which make sure the 'wet' cylinder liners are correctly positioned within the block before the heads are installed. While I know at least one person on this board has some of these (they come in a variety of thicknesses), I myself have never seen any!