Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Rear Hub modification alternative then XT6 Knuckles?

Hey guys, am going to be doing a 5lug swap in my EA82 wagon soon, but we don't get the XT6 in NZ, so can't get the rear knuckles and hubs for them...

Does anyone know of an EJ maybe Legacy or Impreza rear hubs/knuckles that are a good rear hub replacement? Am getting desperate now!

From what I've heard, its quite a bit harder to swap the rear legacy stuff onto an ea82. I can't say exactly whats different, but it'd be your best bet to try to source some stuff from an xt6. I hope someone chimes in with whats harder, I was wondering myself. Though I coulkd go look at the parts legacy I have as well as my parts xt6 and see, but eh.:rolleyes:

Crossbred performance has a kit allowing ej brakes to be installed on L's. Jeff in AU

Yes a crossbred kit would be good. also is made to high safety standard that should alow you to get them certed for road use here.

Also you end up with better choices of disks and wrx brakes.

And you also get a hand brake that works on the rear :)

Edited by kiwi subbie

EJ hubs are ENTIRELY different. you'd be better off machining ones from scratch than trying to make an ej one work. at which point, just buy the crossbred kit.

backing plates, calipers and rotors can be used, but you need the XT6 hubs to complete the puzzle.

when installing EJ stuff on older gen stuff - just ignore ABS altogether. the ABS really has nothing to do with the calipers, rotors, brake lines, and mastery cylinders even. it's a stand alone style unit - it's not like there's such a thing as "abs calipers" or "non abs calipers" - they're the same thing. so when you're swapping EJ calipers and rotors you just buy whatever calipers and rotors you want and install them on your EA/ER vehicle. you won't have ABS obviously unless you get the rare XT6 that does have ABS over on your side of the world, but we didn't get any of those. but even still it doesn't matter - swapping calipers and rotors is irrelevant to ABS.

when installing EJ stuff on older gen stuff - just ignore ABS altogether. the ABS really has nothing to do with the calipers, rotors, brake lines, and mastery cylinders even. it's a stand alone style unit - it's not like there's such a thing as "abs calipers" or "non abs calipers" - they're the same thing. so when you're swapping EJ calipers and rotors you just buy whatever calipers and rotors you want and install them on your EA/ER vehicle. you won't have ABS obviously unless you get the rare XT6 that does have ABS over on your side of the world, but we didn't get any of those. but even still it doesn't matter - swapping calipers and rotors is irrelevant to ABS.

Sweet, good to hear.

Also, the kit from Crossbred looks like you use your original struts. Is this the case and if so, are there any aftermarket coil-overs or higher performance struts that can be used?

I'm sorry. I don't think there's any way to say this without being rude. So if you're not ready to hear it, stop reading now.

Seriously, you're talking about a major modification to your car, that will require some creative wrenching and parts buying. and you obviously have an extremely basic understanding of how cars work. ABS has NOTHING to do with calipers. EA82s and XT6s don't have rear knuckles. struts and hubs are completely unrelated.

You have a ton of research to do. And I would recommend that you jack up your car, pull the wheels off, and spend some time seeing how things work. And then go do the same with an EJ car and see what's different, and how they work. and then look at the pictures of the crossbred kit, and the detailed write-ups here about the 5-lug swap, and how that's all going to work.

I'm sorry. I don't think there's any way to say this without being rude. So if you're not ready to hear it, stop reading now.

Seriously, you're talking about a major modification to your car, that will require some creative wrenching and parts buying. and you obviously have an extremely basic understanding of how cars work. ABS has NOTHING to do with calipers. EA82s and XT6s don't have rear knuckles. struts and hubs are completely unrelated.

You have a ton of research to do. And I would recommend that you jack up your car, pull the wheels off, and spend some time seeing how things work. And then go do the same with an EJ car and see what's different, and how they work. and then look at the pictures of the crossbred kit, and the detailed write-ups here about the 5-lug swap, and how that's all going to work.

You are correct on all counts. Hence why I am online on this site, asking the questions now to people who have the experience with this kind of project, before I invest the money in it.

While I disagree with your statement of "having an extremely basic understanding of cars" I do have a very basic understanding of driveline components. I have changed out wheel bearings, struts, engines, hell I've even rebuilt engines (with the help of the old man, who is a qualified aviation mechanic) and I'm not here to annoy people, I'm here for help.

At the moment, I'm in a city called Auckland, about a thousand kilometers away from my car, visiting my parents and newly born nephew while saving up money for this thing to happen. I am serious about this project, and while I can appreciate your ideas on looking at said vehicles, I unfortunately have to draw on memory at the current point and time.

I do understand that ABS is merely an electronic interference of the brakes making them pulse and not lock the wheels up. But instead of charging ahead, I decided to ask on here to see if there was anything untoward in changing the brakes. In mechanics, as my old man says, "There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers."

But thanks for your input, it does help me realise the size and reality of undertaking a project of this size. I intend to do it and do it right, and to me it seems the guys on here are an absolute wealth of information, with special mention to SuberDave.

Cheers,

John

To my understanding this board was here to give information and insight from people that have been there done that, Seems like the old friendly usmb is now a place to be critised for asking a question.

sorry.

rxleone

To answer your question about EJ rear hubs and if there are swap-able, the quick answer is no. Of course I have never been satisfied w/the quick answer.

I have looked at both an EJ rear hub and the EA rear hubs side by side.

The EJ rear hub is held on by a straight trailing arm mounted on the chassis and going parallel to the wheel and two lateral links that are mounted to the rear diff hanger. The suspension is then bolted to the hub.

The EA rear hub is held on by the y shaped trailing arm that is bolted to the torsion bar tube. The suspension is connected to the y-shaped trailing arm.

There are two possible ways to making it work. 1) is to modify and fabricate a means to mount the EJ hub to the y-shaped trailing arm. Then you will have to make mounting points for the lateral links. Lots of fabricating involved in this and unless you know what you are doing it could spell disaster.

The other way is to retrofit the entire EJ rear sub-assembly to the EA chassis. This would be slightly easier than the first b/c it will be less fabricating and more inventive mounting of components. If you were to incorporate lift blocks as well, it will allow for the block to serve as adapters, (kinda like the EJ-EA adapter) One member, mixthetoo tried to put impreza suspension onto a BRAT. I have yet to hear if it was successful.

It's either going to take time and skills or money to do this.

Keep an eye on the retrofitting area for developments. Once I finish moving, I will be looking into this project a little more. If I go w/option 2 it's going to be SVX suspension under a RX. Who knows, maybe I will also put in an EG33.

BW

Edited by s'ko

Hey, if one of you guys i NZ want a 5lug swap on your EA/Leone. I've got the solution to your problem...

buy a plain ticket for me to NZ and i will bring all the parts from an XT6 and help you install them on your car... heck i wont even charge you for the parts...

Ok so buying the crossbred kit will be cheeper, but if you go that route i dont get a free ticket to New Zealand...

• Like 1

Hey, if one of you guys i NZ want a 5lug swap on your EA/Leone. I've got the solution to your problem...

buy a plain ticket for me to NZ and i will bring all the parts from an XT6 and help you install them on your car... heck i wont even charge you for the parts...

Ok so buying the crossbred kit will be cheeper, but if you go that route i dont get a free ticket to New Zealand...

Ha, well the crossbred kit is $1200 AUD, which is $1530 NZD.....would probably JUST come out cheaper :D

One way or return Dave? ahahah :lol:

lol how many car can ya do :P