Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clicking in the center of dash

My brother in law recently purchased a 92 subaru for my niece who has gone off to college. She didn't get her license till a year ago and even then only drove for a week in our small town, before jumping straight into driving in a big metropolitan city (not smart in my opinion but what do I know).

The first vehicle they bought her was a Durango. To big for an inexperienced driver, especially learning to drive in a big city. Well, she rolled it on black ice. Somewhat upon my advice, they bought her a subaru, 92 legacy AWD, not sure if its turbo or not. Only 2 owners, 110k. Its an automatic. It had been having a problem with starting when cold, crank and crank, finally start, ran good after it was started, started good after warmed up, but let it set for a few hours, same problem. Got that resolved.

Current "problem" is that there is a constant click from what sounds to be right behind the center of the dash. Its a constant, in time click. Doesn't stop unless you smack the dash, then stops for a few minutes and starts again. Haven't noticed anything wrong performance wise with it, no fluctuation in rpms or flicker of lights etc. Any ideas. I told them this would be an excellent car (subaru in general) for a first time driver, dependable etc.

And I know it will be, I would just like to get any kinks worked out of it before we take it over to her beings how where she is going to school (spokane) she doesn't have any family there that could help her if it develops a problem.

Its a constant click, high idle or under load, not under load, heater on or of, ac on or off. Reminds me of a fuel pump relay, but I honestly don't even know where thats located on these. I don't think its a big issue, but like I said, where she's going to school, the only family she's got there is my sister, but no one else to fix it if it ended up developing into a problem.

Not fond of the idea of tearing dash apart, but I guess ultimately it would have to be done to replace or repair whatever is making the noise. I've never torn the dash apart. LOL it may just go down the road the way it is!:rolleyes:

did you check if the turn siganal or hazards were off?, lol, just playin man:lol:

It may be the relay for the signals.

It's located right behind the flasher button.

You just need to remove the surround for the dash and its right there.

I just did it to work on my heater switch.

Two screws above the gage cluster, two behind the cupholder, and two on

the front of the center console frame.

I don't remember if you have to remove the center frame around the Radio or

not, but I did anyway for ease of access.

That should only be a few screws and the frame pops off.

The radio doesn't need to be removed.

I don't believe you need to completely remove the surround to get enough

access to the relay.

I've never heard of them going bad so another one from the JY should do ya.

Twitch

PS: This belongs in New Gen ;)

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
More Details

My mom has a 92 Legacy that has this mystery click also. Has had this noise on and off for the past 15 years or so. Everything works just fine, and it hasn't gotten any worse or any better. Really isn't anything to worry about, when it starts making the mystery noise turn the radio up.