Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much interest is there in EA81 strut tower/steering extension packages?

GeneralDisorder

I may produce a small run of my strut tower design and offer steering extensions as well for EA81's - The idea being that the rest of a 4" lift is easily accomplished by heading down to the local steel mart and having 2" blocks of 4"x2", 1/4" wall tubing cut and then drilling them.

The strut tower blocks I'm building allow camber adjustment via slots in the lower plate - the proto-type set is currently installed in my lifted wagon and the camber is perfect at exactly 4" strut extension and no adjustment of the lower spring perch (full soft "low" setting).

The final product will be laser cut by a respected machinist and fellow board member and welded by me. I'm thinking of offering the two strut extensions for about $150 and maybe a bit more for a steering extension (with core shaft exchange). I'm not doing this for a huge profit - I just see that the biggest obstacles for most people are the strut extension and making the camber correct, and then the steering linkage. I would likely be doing a short run of around 10 sets. I do not want to produce full kits with hardware, etc as the rest of the items are easily sourced locally and thus it doesn't pay to waste the time and expense of shipping some blocks and bolts.

Installation in the towers will require only the same minor beating of the "lump" at the rear of each tower that all other kits require - the difference is that the camber is adjustable for fine tuning on a specific vehicle.

Any interest or shall I just make a few for myself and friends?

GD

I'd be interested in a steering extension.

Unfortunately we don't have ANY EA81's around here for me to source a core from. There seem to be a bazillion of them where you are. I'd want to have a stock one (mine) on hand in case I ever want/need to put it back stock.

Not to mention I'd probably come out ahead to pay you $30 an hour to get me one rather than ship mine to you.......:grin:

If we could work something out minus the core I'm in.

Thanks for your time.

Dan

beechbm69@aol.com

Do you already have a lift and do not like the existing steering extension? Depending on the amount of cross-member drop it will require a different steering extension length as well as being different for power vs. manual steering.

There are a couple EA81's in the yards around here. I'll try to find a shaft for you depending on what you need. EA82 parts can often be used as well. For example - my wagon's extension consists of an extra EA82 u-joint coupled to the stock u-joint with a modified and lengthened spline section from the end of a column. None of the parts used came from an EA81 with the exception of the original u-joint assembly. But mine is power which makes it easier to adapt in this way.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Do a ea82 then I'm in

I will consider it at some point in the future. For the moment I haven't the time to do the EA82 design and I find the body's to be inferior to the EA81 hatch for off-roading - they are just too heavy and long unless you go higher than 4" and add more power. For a 4" lift, there is nothing more perfect than an EA81 hatch - a bobbed Brat is a close second. The departure angle, shorter wheelbase, and light weight make them quite effective for a "small" lift like the 4".

GD

Do you already have a lift and do not like the existing steering extension? Depending on the amount of cross-member drop it will require a different steering extension length as well as being different for power vs. manual steering.

I have a 4" lift, minus the steering part, ready for install. I just haven't been able to find a suitable donor to have the steering extension made. I didn't want to use mine as I can't weld, and I know how that sort of thing can go in a shop. I want to have it on hand when I start this in order to reduce total down time, and have a stock part available should I ever return it to stock.

You guys seem to have parts cars coming out of your ears :slobber:, I wish we were so lucky on this side.

Thanks for anything you can do for me.

Dan

I would be interested in a steering extension, i plan to get a 6 or 4 inch kit for my brat. Steering extension is the only part i think i cant do myself. So if you have just extensions available in the future i would be in

-Andy

Not questioning your abilities or anything here..... but for a 4" lift the strut tower's are a LOT more complex than the steering extension. The steering extension just requires adding a bit of tubing or rod to the existing shaft - the strut's have to drop and move inward at the same time to correct the front camber. I'm just offering to do both of the components that require welding and such so I mentioned the steering shafts as well. Just the upper and lower plates of my strut towers took many hours of measureing, cutting, grinding, drilling, fitting, etc. I went through three design changes before actually assembling and fitting them to a car and even after doing that I still have changed the design in slight ways yet a fourth time. The labor is 10x what a steering shaft is and thus the reason my final strut block design is being laser cut - if I had to build them by hand the labor would be too expensive to even consider building more than just a set or two for myself.

GD

I'd be interested.

Been only wanting to only do a 2" for the type of stuff I've gotten into but with the strut blocks done it sweetens the 4" for me. :)

I can handle the steering shaft. (could handle the struts as well, but if you are gonna crank some out and have it all figured, all the better)

My only problem is $$$ at the moment. Got a time frame when cash will be needed?

I'd be interested.

Been only wanting to only do a 2" for the type of stuff I've gotten into but with the strut blocks done it sweetens the 4" for me. :)

I can handle the steering shaft. (could handle the struts as well, but if you are gonna crank some out and have it all figured, all the better)

2" buys you very little on an EA81 - they don't have the wheel well capacity that the EA82's have and as such 4" is almost a minimum for decent sized wheel/tire combo's. Mine was originally 3" and to fit 28" tires I had to beat the wheel wells so hard the doors didn't close when I was done. Had to jack them up with a floor jack and wood blocks to realign them. The door seals have leaked ever since.......:-\

My only problem is $$$ at the moment. Got a time frame when cash will be needed?

Time frame is around this summer. They will be done long before the WCSS and I may even bring a few sets to sell at said event. :)

GD

How about steering extensions for power steering setups? Probably what you posted in post #3? A lower ea82 coupler with a short threaded rod into another coupler? Or something else? I am interested.

Yeah - I can do those pretty easily. I have one on my car right now. It's just a second u-joint connected to the first with a splined shaft. You eliminate the rag joint entirely. Makes for a much more positive feel in the steering.

GD

2" buys you very little on an EA81 - they don't have the wheel well capacity that the EA82's have and as such 4" is almost a minimum for decent sized wheel/tire combo's. Mine was originally 3" and to fit 28" tires I had to beat the wheel wells so hard the doors didn't close when I was done. Had to jack them up with a floor jack and wood blocks to realign them. The door seals have leaked ever since.......:-\

Time frame is around this summer. They will be done long before the WCSS and I may even bring a few sets to sell at said event. :)

GD

Summer will work. Just keep me posted.

Yeah I don't like going over a 27". Running 26" A/Ts I had special ordered now and no lift.

I'm getting in and out of places lifted, welded rigs are breaking in.

So I really see no need. And the Jeep club likes it just the way it is.

But it would be nice to have a bit more clearance under the body sometimes. :)

And I figure you've proly came up with some really killer strut tops from the sound of it. :)

And I figure you've proly came up with some really killer strut tops from the sound of it. :)

They will be nice for sure. I've done a lot of work to make them everything I ever wanted in a strut top. The final cut may either be zinc plated or powder coated - I'm not sure on that yet. If I build a large enough number of them I can have a whole batch of them zinc'd at once for about $100.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding a support for a 2nd shock absorber. I've found out the hard way that the stock strut by itself does not provide enough dampening and if driven hard the strut tube will bend where it enters the knuckle. I know a member here that bent a set so hard they kinked the tube and the piston rod jammed in the down posistion. That was around 10+ feet of air under the front though.

GD

GD

I fit 235/75/R15's on my EA81 with a 2" suspension lift.Not much left of the fenders though.Allot of it depends on the offset of the wheels.

Im just wondering if for a two inch crossmember drop if the steering needs to be extended?

glad to see someone wanting to do the steering...

I think the vendors that don't include the steering linkage are missing out on some sales because of it.... when I first put my lift on my Blue brat, I didn't weld at all, and didn't know anyone who did, but the Kit came with one... If It wouldn't have come with one, the past 11 years may have been entirely different!

• Like 1

Not questioning your abilities or anything here..... but for a 4" lift the strut tower's are a LOT more complex than the steering extension. The steering extension just requires adding a bit of tubing or rod to the existing shaft - the strut's have to drop and move inward at the same time to correct the front camber. I'm just offering to do both of the components that require welding and such so I mentioned the steering shafts as well. Just the upper and lower plates of my strut towers took many hours of measureing, cutting, grinding, drilling, fitting, etc. I went through three design changes before actually assembling and fitting them to a car and even after doing that I still have changed the design in slight ways yet a fourth time. The labor is 10x what a steering shaft is and thus the reason my final strut block design is being laser cut - if I had to build them by hand the labor would be too expensive to even consider building more than just a set or two for myself.

GD

I get ya on that, only reason i ask about the steering extension is because i dont have access to a welder. The plan is to buy a BOSS 6 inch lift kit, so i only really need to figure out steering extension and shift linkage. And since your offering the steering extension i might have to jump on that.

glad to see someone wanting to do the steering...

I think the vendors that don't include the steering linkage are missing out on some sales because of it.... when I first put my lift on my Blue brat, I didn't weld at all, and didn't know anyone who did, but the Kit came with one... If It wouldn't have come with one, the past 11 years may have been entirely different!

my point exactly

The main reasons we don't include steering links in our kits is liability and every car is different. If someone orders a kit, and the steering link in the kit fails for whatever reason, it's back on me, and that's legal work I don't need. Not saying anyone on this board would do that, but there are other people out there who buy lifts for subarus. I am looking at making all-new steering links with new u joints and shafts from a racing equipment supplier, then it's just cut to fit, tighten the bolts and slap it in, no welding, less liability.

-Bill

The main reasons we don't include steering links in our kits is liability and every car is different. If someone orders a kit, and the steering link in the kit fails for whatever reason, it's back on me, and that's legal work I don't need. Not saying anyone on this board would do that, but there are other people out there who buy lifts for subarus. I am looking at making all-new steering links with new u joints and shafts from a racing equipment supplier, then it's just cut to fit, tighten the bolts and slap it in, no welding, less liability.

-Bill

yea i get that completely. i like the idea of a bolt on extension.

i mean i could probably figure out something for an extension myself if i put a little time and thinking into it. But im still in the learning process for fabricating and would like to leave it to those who know what they are doing :grin:

-Andy

Sorry for the Hijack GD

yea i get that completely. i like the idea of a bolt on extension.

i mean i could probably figure out something for an extension myself if i put a little time and thinking into it. But im still in the learning process for fabricating and would like to leave it to those who know what they are doing :grin:

-Andy

I will do steering extensions when people bring the car to me, you being only an hour away, it shouldnt be a problem if you bring your rig down, depending on how high you want to go I can have it lifted in a week or less of evenings after work. There's just a lot more to a big lift than a steering extension and lift blocks, always gotta remember there are brake hoses to deal with, radiator hoses, heater hoses, wires, shifter linkage, etc. The little details are what take the most time.

-Bill

Sorry for the Hijack GD

I will do steering extensions when people bring the car to me, you being only an hour away, it shouldnt be a problem if you bring your rig down, depending on how high you want to go I can have it lifted in a week or less of evenings after work. There's just a lot more to a big lift than a steering extension and lift blocks, always gotta remember there are brake hoses to deal with, radiator hoses, heater hoses, wires, shifter linkage, etc. The little details are what take the most time.

-Bill

I see, ill get in touch with you when the time comes around.

anyways back on topic