Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Axle roll pin temporary substitute

Had to replace my '88 gl front driver's side wheel bearings and it was a battle every step. Got everything back together except the roll pin. After several attempts, the old roll pin was too damaged, so I put in a large cotter pin as a temporary fix. Any major concerns running with this for a week? Probably no highway or off-road driving, just neighborhood / work commuting.

Had to replace my '88 gl front driver's side wheel bearings and it was a battle every step. Got everything back together except the roll pin. After several attempts, the old roll pin was too damaged, so I put in a large cotter pin as a temporary fix. Any major concerns running with this for a week? Probably no highway or off-road driving, just neighborhood / work commuting.

as long as it doesn't catch on anything it should eb fine.

i ran without roll pins for 2 years. the CV cannot come completely out but at the same time they weren't meant to be slip yokes so if you wait too long you will get unwanted slop in the splines and eventually they will fail :banana:

yea, I've driven many years and thousands of miles on front axles without roll pins. at stock height it's really a non-issue.

I have lost a rear axle while driving though. those are not optional, even at stock height or lower.

I used a large nail with similar diameter for a short time until I got the right pin. Just slipped it thru and slightly bent the pointed tip to keep it in place. I also use that same size nail as a drift to knock the pins out. I grind the point off for that though just so it doesn't get stuck inside the end of the pin.

Realistically they're only there to stop the axle sliding off the stub, the splines hold the power.

Yep, and theoretically you wouldn't even need the roll pins. How could the inner end possibly slide off the output stubs? I don't think there could ever be that much travel or flex or movement of the front wheel/strut to pop the inner splines off the trans. Unless there's catastrophic failure!