Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Boomerang (Mountain Grizzly) Returns....

could i (make) them work. Pictures of the tool boxes. i might just half to hit the pre garage sale sale.

I only have one set of the guards, and you need 2 sets... they are too long and narrow for the headlights...

TL, the rock guards are made to fit over sealed beam headlights, so no go on a Lego....

like this http://www.eautoworks.com/product-TransDapt-Performance-259876.htm

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crap crap crap!

I got the rear susp on tonight, and put on the pugs in the rear, and set it on the ground.... rear looks good...

went to the front, and put on new calipers on the drivers side... they are the 80-82 style for solid rotors.... and I need the vented rotor calipers!

so waiting on that now...

I replaced a heater hose, oil, filter, and fixed the wiring for the radiator thermo switch... added antifreeze...

had to take the right side strut back out and beat the inner fender a bit, as it was rubbing while turning the wheel...

all that's left is the brakes, and to install the front bumper, and maybe put the rear bumper ends back on, or make a new bumper for the rear.....

almost there! got front brakes done today, and got the wheels on it... I just took it for a night spin... headlight wiring is working fine... :banana:

I think I need to disable the torsion bar on the right side. it sits a little higher on that side, so it gives in a little lean to the left...

got an exhaust rattle at the tail-pipe to take care of, and definitley have to work on the sloppy shifter... but it runs awesome! (weberized)

gonna get it washed tomorrow, and get the front bumper on it, and take some pics!

pics....

rs_grizzly-2010-1.jpg

rs_grizzly-2010-2.jpg

rs_grizzly-2010-3.jpg

rs_grizzly-2010-4.jpg

:lol::banana::grin:

Oh hey wait a minute, isnt that mountain grizzley the famous subaru. I had no idea you had that.:lol: Looks good and im glad you got it going good. I kinda liked the old front bumper myself but to each his own. Would look nice on mine but i would need a custom welder to attach it. Hey mick, youve got a welder.

Buy the way if no one knows about this car i think hes sold it and got it back like 4 times now. I did happen to get mt grizzs sweet old mud tires for guido though. I think you should have one more inch up front it looks way raked for some reason. I havent touched my subaru in a while, better give him some love.

Edited by The Dude Abides

haha. Quit selling the Griz! It was meant to be yours :lol:

yeah, the next time it leaves me, it'll probably be to the scrap yard....

here's the spec listing

what I did to get it going again...

new front rotors and calipers

ea82 coilovers in rear with new custom mounts

4" engine crossmember and strut tower blocks

lengthened steering shaft

new aftermarket headlight switch

fixed wiring for:

-headlights

-horn

-hazards

-center lamp

-ignition switch (aftermarket)

replaced missing front turn signal wire harnesses

hood pins

replaced heater hose

beat down rear bumper to normal position

tapped threads and reinstalled rear bumper ends

front RooBar installed

fixed wiring to thermo-switch on radiator

added wiring for fog lights

'84 style mirrors replaced broken '82 style ones

tightened up steering column mount bolts

new hazards flasher

removed cruise switches (rest was removed long ago)

15" pug flat spoke alloys with 27x9.50x15 SSR Swampers

still to do:

new thermo switch for radiator

sloppy shifter fix

exhaust rattle

weber tuning...

What is still has from previous builds...

portions of BYB Lift Kit from Australia

xt6 alt.

accel coil

weber 32/36 carb

rear disk brakes

EA81 GL-10 cloth interior

newer radiator

newr heater core

Autralian rear seat shoulder belts

I have a little bit of tire rub on the coilover... not enough to worry about. it's only if I make a hard right turn, and it body rolls to the left... since the torsion bar is still active on the right side, it tends to sway the opposite way... hopefully after I disable the torsion bar, it should be okay... I really don't want to go back to the heavy 15x7 steels...

You ever get a inclination to finish the mt grizley stickers on the front fender. I know youve replaced that fender so thats why there are no stickers. You never did get back to me on how much you wanted to sell the bumper for. I have a way to clean up those 15x7s. Painting them would be up to you though.

You ever get a inclination to finish the mt grizley stickers on the front fender. I know youve replaced that fender so thats why there are no stickers. You never did get back to me on how much you wanted to sell the bumper for. I have a way to clean up those 15x7s. Painting them would be up to you though.

well, since the bumper is already set-up for an ea81, I'm hesitant to have it torn apart to fit a EA82.. getting into the back of the c-channel to grind out the welds would be very time consuming... now if you had a plasma cutter to cut them out... and I may want to keep the brush guard part... though I may have some other stuff here to make another one out of...

you need to take the mass of plastic, styrofoam, and sheet metal off the front of your car , and get some measurements... :lol:

You ever get a inclination to finish the mt grizley stickers on the front fender. I know youve replaced that fender so thats why there are no stickers.

well, as rusty as it is, I don't know that I'll do anything like that... but we'll see...

well, since the bumper is already set-up for an ea81, I'm hesitant to have it torn apart to fit a EA82.. getting into the back of the c-channel to grind out the welds would be very time consuming... now if you had a plasma cutter to cut them out... and I may want to keep the brush guard part... though I may have some other stuff here to make another one out of...

you need to take the mass of plastic, styrofoam, and sheet metal off the front of your car , and get some measurements... :lol:

Right now i dont know which one is rustier, mine or yours. Ill race ya, which one breakes in half loses.:lol:

Na dont worry about it, sell it to another ea81 youll buy cuz i know you will. Ill just mount spikes to the bumper i have.

• 4 weeks later...

okay. Garage Sale outta the way. Got Grizz back in the garage last night...

swapped out one of the e-brake cables. all working fine now.

"fixed" exhaust. no more hitting the hitch. the 4" lift up front shifted it a bit...

fixed the sloppy shifter.

found sheet metal that the LF tire was rubbing on tight right turns... bent it back to where it was supposed to be... I think I "misplaced" it while putting on the lift.

still need to disable the right side torsion bar, look at a potential electrical issue, ad bring down the idle... maybe put my PiperCross race air filter on...

I know you want to do the xt6 alt but honestly the GM one for me just bolted right in.. even the same belt. and they are ezier to come by.

yeah, the next time it leaves me, it'll probably be to the scrap yard....

here's the spec listing

what I did to get it going again...

new front rotors and calipers

ea82 coilovers in rear with new custom mounts

4" engine crossmember and strut tower blocks

lengthened steering shaft

new aftermarket headlight switch

fixed wiring for:

-headlights

-horn

-hazards

-center lamp

-ignition switch (aftermarket)

replaced missing front turn signal wire harnesses

hood pins

replaced heater hose

beat down rear bumper to normal position

tapped threads and reinstalled rear bumper ends

front RooBar installed

fixed wiring to thermo-switch on radiator

added wiring for fog lights

'84 style mirrors replaced broken '82 style ones

tightened up steering column mount bolts

new hazards flasher

removed cruise switches (rest was removed long ago)

15" pug flat spoke alloys with 27x9.50x15 SSR Swampers

still to do:

new thermo switch for radiator

sloppy shifter fix

exhaust rattle

weber tuning...

What is still has from previous builds...

portions of BYB Lift Kit from Australia

xt6 alt.

accel coil

weber 32/36 carb

rear disk brakes

EA81 GL-10 cloth interior

newer radiator

newr heater core

Autralian rear seat shoulder belts

• 4 weeks later...

okay. got the torsion bar disabled on the passenger side. it sits even side to side now, and the rake is back in normal range :banana:

the sloppy shifter fix works nicely.

I put in a new radiator fan switch and it works as expected.

I get a pretty good noise in the rear though. not sure if it's the tires hitting the coilover all the time. they for sure are rubbing, so it looks like it's either back to the Toyota 6 lug/drilled wheels with the swampers swapped back on, change out to some skinner all-terrains, or try and space out the rears a bit....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, how do you disable the rear torsion bar? I've installed the ea82 coilovers and I have quite the stiff rear end. I love my lumber wagon but it doesnt need to be so stiff when empty.

I had to pull a tight u-turn in traffic yesterday and the stiffness pulled a tire right up off the ground and set it down right in the intended lane. It suprised me but I think it scared the oncoming traffic more.:eek: If it had some roll to it, I think it would have stayed on the ground.