Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I was sitting at the grocery store waiting for my wife and it occurred to me that there is a car that Subaru has never built and I'd like to see them do it.

I'd like to see a 2-seat Subaru about the size of a Miata or even an RX7. Little, tiny thing. Razor sharp handling, all wheel drive. Wouldn't have to have the blistering power of an STI. In fact, I think it would kind of detract from the car if it DID have that kind of power. I sort of envision this thing weighing in at around 2300-2400. 145hp or so would be about right. I think it should be available as a hardtop, hardtop convertible or Targa.

What do you think? Something else you'd like to see them build?

Your post screams Subaru XT/Alcyone, but the XT/Alcyone was never 1st-gen Miata-light.

Unfortunately, all that you described won't be had unless you cough up the dough. These days, with all the safety regulations, such a car WILL be weighed down.

And hell, it seems as if Subaru will NEVER mass-produce a convertible as it sort of detracts from their Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame technology. That's comparable to ditching both the AWD and boxer-engine.

As near as I can tell, even the FT-86 is too big, as was the XT. In modern terms, I feel this car should be light in the way that an RX8 is light.

Now, the RX8 weighs in at 2880. However, I can tell you that there's the best part of 500lbs in the sound deadening material, dash, wiring harness(es), stereo, etc. I mean REALLY strip this thing down. Yes, it should have a stereo, but 4 speakers and a CD player would do. No need for all the Bose stuff. use lighter plastics in the dash. I'm not sure why, but the seats in that car are just unreasonably heavy.

I've started doing the design work on a car that I'd like to build from the ground up some day. But I'm talking here about a factory built car with all the safety features that go along with that.

So I was sitting at the grocery store waiting for my wife and it occurred to me that there is a car that Subaru has never built and I'd like to see them do it.

I'd like to see a 2-seat Subaru about the size of a Miata or even an RX7. Little, tiny thing. Razor sharp handling, all wheel drive. Wouldn't have to have the blistering power of an STI. In fact, I think it would kind of detract from the car if it DID have that kind of power. I sort of envision this thing weighing in at around 2300-2400. 145hp or so would be about right. I think it should be available as a hardtop, hardtop convertible or Targa.

What do you think? Something else you'd like to see them build?

When you described that I instantly thought of an FF or a GSR with an EJ22

and AWD drivetrain.

They would be perfect, they're tiny, light, and with a rebuilt suspension and

revised drivetrain, they could easily compete with the Miata in the cruiser

coupe category.

Twitch

When you described that I instantly thought of an FF or a GSR with an EJ22

and AWD drivetrain.

They would be perfect, they're tiny, light, and with a rebuilt suspension and

revised drivetrain, they could easily compete with the Miata in the cruiser

coupe category.

Twitch

Unfortunately, all those mods move it up in class and would no longer compete directly with the Miata.

Unfortunately, all those mods move it up in class and would no longer compete directly with the Miata.

I was just using the EJ22 as an example for hp reasons.

An EJ16 or EJ18 would work just fine I'm sure.

They have what? 120hp? 150hp?

I think the newer EJ's should do just fine with a smaller displacement.

Twitch

I understand, but any swap moves into a modified or open class.

Well, I wasn't referring to racing :rolleyes:

I was thinking of a Production vehicle that had an FF or GSR body, but with

modern components underneath.

So basically cram the underpinnings of a WRX into an FF and add an EJ18 engine and a 6 speed and you have what I was thinking of.

It has a classic look to it and handles like rally car :D

Twitch

One: A twin turbo manual transmission flat 6 3rd generation alcyone/svx

two: 'BRAT II' build from a 2-door impreza platform with forester suspension, dual range trans, and a pass-thru truck bed like the baja, but 2-door impreza based. the brat ii seems feasable with off the shelf parts. build it on the pre-2008 impreza chassis

three: a 2-door wagon

I'd think another option would be to start with the current impreza 3-door. Shorten it up by deleting the rear bench seat. Just cargo area immediately behind the driver's seat and maybe push the rear axle to the rear a bit. Again...doable on current parts

Last October, someone posted the Toyota FT-86 concept car by Toyota with a Subaru motor. See http://www.nextautos.com/tokyo-previ...src=Nextscreen

Toyota owns 20% of Subaru, so there is the motor connection. Is this what you have in mind for Subaru to make?

well lets hope subaru doesnt start using toyota gas pedal designs :lol::lol:

How about a Legacy GT wagon like my 98? The new Outback is a real piggy. It is at least 2 feet taller than my current car and a lot heavier. It is a great SUV but not so good as a car.

And no manual transmission.

If they build it I would buy it.