Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 impraza wagon 2.2 m/trans lost second gear

Were you rough on second gear?

Did you or a previous owner do a lot of "speed shifting"?

Chances are you just grenaded the gears and need to either rebuild it, or

get a new one.

And you probably just need to get a new tranny.

For the cost of pulling the tranny and rebuilding it, you could swap in a good

used one for less.

You can use almost any legacy or impreza 5 speed as long as your rear diff

ratio matches your front or you get a matching rear diff with the new tranny.

I believe you will either have a 4.111 or a 3.9 diff ratio.

Also, the 5 speeds rarely go bad, so you will have little to worry about with

your new transmission.

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
Answered the qusetion better

Need a lot more detail please.

Does it shift into the gear normally but when you let the clutch out nothing happens?

Does it not want to shift into the gear?

Before you "lost" the gear were there any symptoms? IE seemed like it would just barely grab the gear or excessive grinding while trying to get into the gear?

You need to give us as much detail as possible if you want a chance of figuring it out.

Keith

well i dont know alot about the car other than what i have alredy fixed the trany was like that when i got it i was planing on just getting a used one but im trying to find a good place near me to get on for cheep and yes it will go into second no problem but when i let the clutch out nothing happens i had this same thing happen to a 5 speed honda but i dont know what hapens inside to make it just one day just not be there any way thank you for every ones help how do i tell what my gear ratio is on my rear diff

a 96 impreza wagon 2.2 m/trans should have a 3.9 rear diff.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g10/type_58/train/differential_individual/illustration_2/

any 5 speed will bolt in, you just have to match the 3.9 final drive and the clutch, cable vs. hydraulic.

look here for a trans, sort your search by distance:

http://www.car-part.com

how do i tell what my gear ratio is on my rear diff
Look at the label on the bell housing of the transmission; it will say something like TY752-VABBA. Then go to the transmission chart in the USRM and look up your transmission. It will tell you whether yours is a 3.900 or 4.111. Then check the transmission chart to see what models/years have the same ratio so you know what to look for in a used transmission. Good luck.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97885

You can also find the transmission number on the VIN# plate on the fender well in the engine compartment.

Edited by edrach

LOL, he was gentle!!

When I spit the teeth from 2nd gear at the nationals in 2007 I shreaded every tooth off. No one could believe it. It was the worst N/A shred anyone had ever seen. There were literaly no teeth left on either gear. It was abused before I put it in the car and highly abused after I put it in the car. 2nd gear has never been real tough in these cars. Especially if they are shifted hard. Mine normally is driven hard during rally cross. I have a baggy filled with teeth on my wall of fame/shame.

• 4 weeks later...
LOL, he was gentle!!

When I spit the teeth from 2nd gear at the nationals in 2007 I shreaded every tooth off. No one could believe it. It was the worst N/A shred anyone had ever seen. There were literaly no teeth left on either gear. It was abused before I put it in the car and highly abused after I put it in the car. 2nd gear has never been real tough in these cars. Especially if they are shifted hard. Mine normally is driven hard during rally cross. I have a baggy filled with teeth on my wall of fame/shame.

Yes, worst N/A shred anyone had ever seen. But you certainly didn't have a stock N/A engine in that car.

a 96 impreza wagon 2.2 m/trans should have a 3.9 rear diff.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g10/type_58/train/differential_individual/illustration_2/

any 5 speed will bolt in, you just have to match the 3.9 final drive and the clutch, cable vs. hydraulic.

look here for a trans, sort your search by distance:

www.car-part.com

Cable versus hydraulic can be converted. I have a transmission that began life as a hydraulic clutch and was converted to a cable actuator without too much trouble/expense. I'm pretty sure the opposite conversion is possible.

Yes, worst N/A shred anyone had ever seen. But you certainly didn't have a stock N/A engine in that car.

Yep - and that picture was of a 2.2 plain-jane L series sedan ('96) - with only 113k miles on it! It was neglected to be sure, but that doesn't usually cause that kind of devastation - either really bad driver or serious abusive driving - but the body, interior, and engine didn't show any signs of rally racing or abusivness - and the owner was a middle-aged man who got it from his sister.... not kids.

I frankly have no idea what happened - I bought it that way. I put in a tranny from a '90 Legacy, swapped the rear diff, and now it's a 4.11 car and owned and cared for by a friend's daughter.

GD

Yep - and that picture was of a 2.2 plain-jane L series sedan ('96) - with only 113k miles on it! It was neglected to be sure, but that doesn't usually cause that kind of devastation - either really bad driver or serious abusive driving - but the body, interior, and engine didn't show any signs of rally racing or abusivness - and the owner was a middle-aged man who got it from his sister.... not kids.

I frankly have no idea what happened - I bought it that way. I put in a tranny from a '90 Legacy, swapped the rear diff, and now it's a 4.11 car and owned and cared for by a friend's daughter.

GD

As the proud owner of a 4.111 conversion...much more fun than a 3.900. A little difference in gas mileage, but a new set of 16" tires to replace the 15" tires should fix that.

As the proud owner of a 4.111 conversion...much more fun than a 3.900. A little difference in gas mileage, but a new set of 16" tires to replace the 15" tires should fix that.

With the big, heavy Legacy body and the phase-I 2.2 I didn't notice much difference to be honest. It had ok power, but not really anything special. The primary reason was that I got the tranny and rear diff together for a reasonable price and needed them to match so I could sell the car......

I think it's still got the factory 14" steel's on it :rolleyes:

Nothing like Jacob's Brat that we just built :eek: (I think you'll actually get to see it motivate around the track this next time :rolleyes: - he had an ignitor failure and transmission linkage issues last time). Seems pretty well ironed out now though.

GD

With the big, heavy Legacy body and the phase-I 2.2 I didn't notice much difference to be honest. It had ok power, but not really anything special. The primary reason was that I got the tranny and rear diff together for a reasonable price and needed them to match so I could sell the car......

I think it's still got the factory 14" steel's on it :rolleyes:

Nothing like Jacob's Brat that we just built :eek: (I think you'll actually get to see it motivate around the track this next time :rolleyes: - he had an ignitor failure and transmission linkage issues last time). Seems pretty well ironed out now though.

GD

Yes, I saw Jacob today and those problems looked like they were solved. He was smiling.

As to the 4.111 conversion, the most noticeable difference is that you can "lug" the engine a liittle more when you're not driving in a spirited manner. Also, no need to downshift to 4th on the longer, steeper hills. On the rallycross course the better low end torque is quite evident.

Edited by edrach