Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Ya!

Thanks everyone,

I have had to take some time and refreshed my memory, see my Subaru '81GL Hatchback was having some performance issues and I happen to be in a spot to buy another vehicle which I did. Now guilt set has set in and I would like to focus on my old Subaru.

My Subaru has 194,000 +/- miles

In a nut shell I always have performed routine maintenance and as things needing to be done to my "ru" Ive taken care of what I can. However, I am not a mechanic nor do I pretend to be one!

As far as what I recall, my vehicle has:

1. Very low compression

2. Blueish-grey smoke out of the pipes

3. Low ideal

I had the carb. reworked a couple times

So, yes I started it last season and it turned over then kaput! nothing!

My goal is to figure out what is going on and try to care for it, I have my users manual and the book How To Keep Your Subaru Alive. But, no tools just a little money to put towards this little cutie of a car.

but i would like to get an over all picture of what needs to be done.

If you still have the original engine, it's got solid lifters. Were I in your shoes, I would adjust the valve lash and try the compression test again. If that doesn't seal it up, you've got worn out piston rings and the entire engine needs rebuilt.

Or, you could just cut your losses and find a newer engine that runs well. When I blew a head gasket in my 81 Brat, I was able to find a hydro EA81 for 20 bucks. Several months later, and I've had to replace the water pump and am about to do the oil pump because the old one leaks. Prolly I should have just replaced both when I did the swap.

Since you don't have much in the way of tools and experience, you might want to network with some guys local to you.

Good luck with your hatch. You'll have a blast in it once it's mobile again.

hey, J!

Does your car's valve covers have stickers on them like in Rob's pic here?

cleanEA81T.jpg

That would make it a little more worth the rebuild option as this hydraulic lifter motor needs a little less maintenance and has 1-3 more HP than the normal one, plus they run a little smoother.

You could always put in a temporary engine and rebuild yours in the meantime...

Don_Quixpunch,

thanks i think i am leaning towards replacing the engine.

yodannyc,

id be interested in talking to you! thanks for offering you help.

baccaruda,

nope no stickers on the valve covers.

• 2 weeks later...