Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Takin on water! :mad:

So i was investigatin why i was taking on a little water in my car, and this is what i found!

IMG00545.jpg

is this repairable?!??!?! or should i start looking for a clean wagon body?

edit: here is the other side. not showin the hole where the seatbelt used to bolt to.

IMG00546.jpg

Edited by xbeerd

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you live in WI just give up:lol:

no im kidding i mobed out of fort McCoy and man everyone there had rusted out cars its insane..

if your good with measuring and cutting AND welding just cut the wheel well out of another wagon and weld it in... the rest is fairly easy to do with scraps of sheet metal.

i say getting a new body is waaay more work.. if you've never done body work well heres a good learning point.. its going to be covered by plastic too so if it doesn't turn out pretty your still ok:)

i know. wisconsin sucks as far as rust goes.

but.. i know a guy who knows a good welder, so im gonna cut out all the rust. and have the guy fill it up like a mofo. i sure dont care what it looks like inside, it just bums the ************ outta me because other than these wheel wells. the car is really clean, and has a 100k motor and a 5spd d/r we put in last december.

the other side is just as bad, i went to unbolt the lower seatbelt point and i now have a 3" diameter hole where it used to bolt to! :-\ (added 2nd pic up top)

i took a welding class back in 2000, and havent done it since, so im not really wanting to rely on my skills, since i can see my wheels from the inside of the car i think i'll be taking the motorcycle as much as possible until i can get this solved. :pray for sunshine:

Edited by xbeerd

you live in WI just give up:lol:

no im kidding i mobed out of fort McCoy and man everyone there had rusted out cars its insane..

if your good with measuring and cutting AND welding just cut the wheel well out of another wagon and weld it in... the rest is fairly easy to do with scraps of sheet metal.

i say getting a new body is waaay more work.. if you've never done body work well heres a good learning point.. its going to be covered by plastic too so if it doesn't turn out pretty your still ok:)

oh, by new body, i mainly meant a good candidate for my engine and trans etc, not like a totally stripped down body or anything.

welll that makes me feel just great! LOL.

i saw that link for the free loyale in Richland WA but read it wrong and thought it said Richmond VA, which is 1000 miles closer (yet still 800 miles away)

Hopefully my fellow Subaru Alliance members buddy is able to weld the ************ out of it and make it work. otherwise i may have a different soob at the campout and a ea82 and D/r tranny for sale. lol. im hopin not. i really like my car dammit. hah. I think its going to be alot more work than anticipated.:mad:

cut and weld, my rust is visible so I'm reluctant to try my hand on something like that

but hey, your's will never be seen - go for it

Yeah, i just dont wanna cut it out until its closer to welding time, since i have to drive the car and if its wet i'll get wet! if its dry thats no biggie, as long as its SOMEWHAT structurally sound. i wish the factory sprayed on undercoating wasnt all over EVERYthing, i think i'll take a wire wheel to it when i get a chance and atleast see where im at. any guess as to what gauge steel that would be? i just hope i can get the suspension loose for a lift kit install that i have planned in the future

Yeah, i just dont wanna cut it out until its closer to welding time, since i have to drive the car and if its wet i'll get wet! if its dry thats no biggie, as long as its SOMEWHAT structurally sound. i wish the factory sprayed on undercoating wasnt all over EVERYthing, i think i'll take a wire wheel to it when i get a chance and atleast see where im at. any guess as to what gauge steel that would be? i just hope i can get the suspension loose for a lift kit install that i have planned in the future

open your imagineation.. if your not ready to weld yet.. get a thick black garbage bag, roll of gorilla glue tape, rattle can undercoating and some h2o resistant adhesive spray.. now clean up the surface area the best you can on both sides go on the inside and spray the rotted area with the adhesive spray, lay down a single sheet of that black garbage bag let it cure then tape it off really good. go to ur wheel well and do multiple coats of that undercoating to keep the water out and strengthen the patch..

that's a good temporary fix. should keep the water out till your ready to work on it

I have seen this car in person, its not bad where the struts mount - its mostly weaked where the bump stop brace is. So I wouldn't swaet it being "Unsafe" to drive for a bit, just take it easy going over bumps and cornors (Keep extream stress off it)

Hopfuly Steve will get in touch with his buddy ASAP.

I have seen this car in person, its not bad where the struts mount - its mostly weaked where the bump stop brace is. So I wouldn't swaet it being "Unsafe" to drive for a bit, just take it easy going over bumps and cornors (Keep extream stress off it)

Hopfuly Steve will get in touch with his buddy ASAP.

i'll try to get a better pic of the drivers side, its got rust around the top by the mount, and a verticle 'slice' on the back side of the bumpstop brace.

I'll bet if you'd fix it, you'd be prouder than snot even if no one could see it.:rolleyes: Its a mad max world out there and your not building rocketships to the moon, yet. Id say if the car is worth it to you, do it. You gonna hurt your feelings?:) What do you want to upgrade back there? EA82 right?

Edited by Yo'J

I'll bet if you'd fix it' date=' you'd be prouder than snot even if no one could see it.:rolleyes: Its a mad max world out there and your not building rocketships to the moon, yet. Id say if the car is worth it to [u']you[/u], do it. You gonna hurt your feelings?:) What do you want to upgrade back there? EA82 right?

yeah, its definately worth fixing :)

as far as upgrades, i was just going to do a 2" lift and some 26-27" tires on a set of pugs i got lined up, plus some new springs back there, probably going to go with the accord spring setup.

hopefully i can get done with work earlier than i anticipated today, i wanna get this project started!!

Im seriously looking into getting a tractor trailer type of thing, just finding the car hauler is the problem. I have a guy with a truck who whould be willing to do the trip for money but i would need orders from some local people and i need to get either a flatbed for 3 or 4 subarus or a car hauler for 8 or more rust free beauties.

I would definately hold off on lifting until you get that fixed. Does this mean funds for (wheels) are being depleated.:grin:

That rust is definitely repairable. Just plan out your repair and take your time. You will be amazed at what you can do if you try. I hate to see rust issues like this when there are a lot of rust free bodies just laying in the junkyards here in Nevada.

That rust is definitely repairable. Just plan out your repair and take your time. You will be amazed at what you can do if you try. I hate to see rust issues like this when there are a lot of rust free bodies just laying in the junkyards here in Nevada.

go in there with a cutting tool and cut me some wheel wells out! :grin::lol:

we were talking today about creating somewhat of a roll cage type situation to give it some structure and then just laying in some sheet metal to fill in the spaces, and then seal the ************ outta it and the rest of the bottom of the car to prevent anything else from spreading.