Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is the correct length of the metal part of the dipstick on a 1999 SOHC 2.5L Forester? (From bottom tip to bottom of shoulder of plastic stopper.)

I purchased a used high mileage Forester and if I fill to just about half way between the marks when warm, it burns oil quickly until it gets down about 1 quart then oil consumption seems to slow to a relatively normal rate. (When I say quickly I mean about 1 quart in 400 miles.) I had another used car at one time that had a dipstick which was shorter than correct for the year it was in (PO replaced it with the wrong length) and I am wondering if my Forester has the same problem. If it is too short then I am overfilling every time.

Thank you sir! I appreciate that.

It is actually shorter than the one in my 1999.

Mine measures 52cm overall. (~20.5")

So there is some variation from year to year and engine to engine. Meaning it *is* possible that the stick in my engine is not correct for it.

Anyone else? Measurement from a 1999 - 2003 greatly appreciated.

nope.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_8/lubrication_system/oil_pan/

if you click on the part number for the dip stick, item #2, and then click on the 'usage info' tab for your car and other cars and years, you will see that they only make one dip stick and they used it for all ej engines, 1.8L, 2.2L and 2.5L.

EDIT: at least up through 2003.

\

i didn't look for the h6 info.

replace yours if it is not stock, some one on the board has one they can ship to you.

Edited by johnceggleston

The metal blade on the dipstick in my 2006 Forester is actually 17.25" long. I had a 1999 Forester at one time, the plastic handle on the dipstick should be yellowish-orange and match the color of the plastic oil fill cap.

Actually, I have been told that the STi dipstick is shorter. It allows for more oil than the standard 2.5 liter dipsticks. They run a 1 qt. larger capacity from what I have been told. I have not seen it with my own eyes. But my Subaru parts guru tells me that they do have a different part number and hold more oil.

Actually, I have been told that the STi dipstick is shorter. It allows for more oil than the standard 2.5 liter dipsticks. They run a 1 qt. larger capacity from what I have been told. I have not seen it with my own eyes. But my Subaru parts guru tells me that they do have a different part number and hold more oil.

oops!

you're right, i didn't look far enough. apparently up through 03/04 they were all the same. sti and others? are different in 05/06 and beyond.

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks John and Qman. Excellent link to the opposed forces site too.

The problem is that I bought this vehicle very cheap with known engine issues at a salvage lot. No known history and so things like the dipstick could have been swapped around. I guess its pretty unlikely that it would have gotten one from an STI though.

I have done quite a bit of work getting it running very well now but still burning oil. It occurred to me that this could be a possible explanation since it seems significantly worse after I have topped it up.

Still... if anyone can verify that the correct length for the 1999 - 2003 2.5 SOHC (non-sti) engine is 20.5" (52cm) that would completely eliminate the possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a 1999 Forester. It takes a 4.5- 4.75 quart fill for an oil change. The dipstick is far from linear, especially at the "full"" end of the stick.

Fill the engine with 5.0 quarts, and the dipstick looks like the engine is overflowing with oil. Actually, it is only over by .25 to .5, no big deal.

I can't tell you how many 1999 owners posted screaming that the dealership, or quicky oil change place, grossly overfilled their engines with oil. The guy changing the oil only put in 5 quarts, but dipstick showed way, way over the "full" mark.

I owned a 1999 Forester. It takes a 4.5- 4.75 quart fill for an oil change. The dipstick is far from linear, especially at the "full"" end of the stick.

Fill the engine with 5.0 quarts, and the dipstick looks like the engine is overflowing with oil. Actually, it is only over by .25 to .5, no big deal.

I can't tell you how many 1999 owners posted screaming that the dealership, or quicky oil change place, grossly overfilled their engines with oil. The guy changing the oil only put in 5 quarts, but dipstick showed way, way over the "full" mark.

if you check out item #12 in the pic, you'll see the the dip stick takes an almost 90* turn before it enters the oil pan. it is then closer to horizontal than vertical when it enters the oil.

so yes, 1/4 qt of oil makes a big difference on the dip stick.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_45/lubrication_system/oil_pan/

I measured the dipstick on my 2002 Forester 2.5 SOHC 5MT.

These are the measurements (taken from the underside of the yellow plastic handle, which is where it contacts the top of the filler tube):

- 504.8mm to end of dipstick;

- 487.8mm to Lower hole;

- 466.2mm to Full hole;

- 456.0mm to upper notch.

The FSM for this model says to add 4.0L (4.2USquarts) of oil after an oil & filter change.

When I add that amount, run the engine, leave overnight, then check the oil level, it shows at the Full hole.

You can see a photo of the dipstick at Oil dipstick length 2002 Forester 5MT

Excellent....

Thank you very much.

Close enough to the same as mine, so must be the correct length.

Oh well, engine is just burning oil cause it has a lot of wear.

Maybe I will try Seafoam before my next oil change in case something is stuck but I don't expect it will make any difference.

• 13 years later...

I'm having similar problem. I recently got a 2000 subaru legacy wagon, 2.5l sohc. Recently changed the oil, and oil filter. Added 4 quarts of oil when it calls for 4.2. And it's reading super high up the dipstick. Never checked it warm. And I know for a fact I didn't over fill it. 

I assume you remove the dip stick, wipe it then replace and remove to get the most accurate reading? 

If you’re not wiping before a dip to read the oil level, you’re not getting an accurate reading. 

If it’s still super high, are you sure you drained the engine sump and not the gearbox oil? An old mate of mine did this back I our uni days. Cost him a new gearbox plus fitment. There’s a dipstick on the RHS of the gearbox for the gearbox oil level, it’s worth checking it out assuming you have a manual. The auto has a front diff oil dipstick, I can’t remember what side of the auto it’s on though.

And I’m digging the 14 year thread dig! 

Cheers 

Bennie