Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing muffler on 97 Legacy Outback - DIY? Which brands?

The muffler on my 97 Legacy Outback needs to be replaced. I'd like to learn to do some of this repair work myself. Is this a job a fairly handy DIY guy could do himself?

I found several replacements online including this one for $95. Looks like it has the pipe all the back to the cat flange.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Subaru/Legacy/Replacement/Muffler/1997/Outback/4_Cyl_2-dot-5L/REPS961102.html?loc=Center&tlc=Engine+%26+Drivetrain

Would love to hear some advice on this job and recommended parts. Also what tools to get. The whole point of DIY maintenance is so you can get new tools, right? :grin:

Here's another question...what do I need to get access to the exhaust system? Are jack stands enough?

One thing in my favor is that I had the rear cat flange replaced back in November so hopefully those bolts haven't seized too bad.

Here's another question...what do I need to get access to the exhaust system? Are jack stands enough?

One thing in my favor is that I had the rear cat flange replaced back in November so hopefully those bolts haven't seized too bad.

If you use jack stands, be sure to apply the hand brake first, and use wheel chocks. I learned the hard way that otherwise the car can fall off a jack stand. Luckily, I was not under the car to get hurt.

If you have the drive up hard plastic ramps, I would use those on the rear, or use four if you can borrow them from a friend. I have found they work great for getting under the car. I feel safer under them, verses jack stands.

I have used grease or antisieze on pipes to help them to slide together easily, if not using flange mounts.

No that is junk.

How can i tell?

"Aluminized steel" is junk. In less then 2 years it will be rusted.

Look for Walker pipes, they last a long long time. Go to Rock auto to start, and confirm by going to the Walker catalog itself.

Having just done this on my 97' the cat/pipe bolts are a real ***************. Even when they are cut off they put up a fight. Youe need a grinder, though i did well with a dremel tool. i had to take mine to midas finally due to a rotted flange on the converter.

Go to RockAuto as I think we get a discount. The wlaker cat hardware kit has everything you need. The rear muffler should be alot easier, just snap those bolts.

nipper

Replace the muffler on my wagon a few months ago. Took 1/2 day to remove just 2 rusted bolts. If you can get the bolts loose, it is an easy job.

Cheap mufflers IMO aren't worth the time installing. A OEM muffler will cost more up front but can easily last 10 years or more.

Good CO rust free mufflers are cheap. Check the You Pull and Pay in Colorado Springs for the price. Add about $35 for shipping.

Instead of loosening the bolts, put good 6 point sockets on the bolts and tighten them until they snap and the replace them and the gasket.

Apply anti-size to them and you will be good the next time.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice. I ended up grabbing a muffler off a 97 Subaru in the scrapyard. Was in great shape and unbolted easily. The one on my Subaru took a little more elbow grease, but once it was off it was a piece of cake to make the swap. The other pipe and cat will probably rot soon enough, but for $18 I'm happy to have a quiet car again.

i replaced a friends mid pipe about a year ago - it's trashed already (see wanted forum for my exhaust request). there's a leak and i looked under and was like WHAT THE CRAP - the "new" pipe looks like it's 15 years old. it was $80 off ebay. but she can't do $500 for new OEM either, that's a bit absurd.

Here was my last muffler after 3 NY winters. Yes, I was driving like that :)

img_3208.jpg?pictureId=5550532

Here's my new one. I spent $18, but could've gotten it for $12 if I'd left the extra pipe I didn't.

img_3201.jpg?pictureId=5550549

Next time the scrapyard has a muffler sale I'm going to grab another one to have ready. Unfortunately, they don't resell cats so I'll have to buy one new whenever mine dies.

204,000 miles and counting. Next project is replacing the knock sensor and investigate why I'm seeping oil.