Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4.11 into 3.90

Uberoo

Ive heard that legacy diffs are 4.11,but they also have inner stubs instead of the outer stubs.Is it possible to put the 4.11 ring and pinion gearset into a 3.9 diff housing and then just slide in the outer stubs?

it's not the housing that's different. it's the carrier.

first gen legacies have male stubs just like EAs. All other EJs have female splines in the diff.

I'm running a 4.111 rear diff from a '99 RS with the carrier from an EA turbo sedan in my XT6 right now. completely bolt-in.

The male/female stub thing will swap around. I needed a 4.111 diff for a transmission swap into a '96 legacy and the one I got was a male (90 to 94 5MT diff). Rather than change the axles I dissasembled both diffs and swapped the spider gears - that is I took the 3.9's female style spiders and installed them into the 4.111 diff in place of it's bolt-in male style spider's. Worked just fine. Didn't have to touch any R&P stuff or reshim anything. When you are talking about open diffs only, all the parts seem to match up pretty well over the years.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder