Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(Apparently I don't know how to spell "Opinion"...)

Ok folks, I'm getting a 2010 Legacy. The ONLY thing that I want the Premium for over the base is for the wheels. The dealership is adamant that the only way you can get alloys is to buy them separately or upgrade the trim model, and personally, an extra $2500 for electronic seats and alloy wheels is absurd.

SO, I picked out these guys here. Give me some honest opinions!

Picture9.png

They look like rump roast. But I think that about a lot of the after market wheels people put on their cars. Especially when the wheels are straight black. :rolleyes:

Here's the thing. Why do you care what anybody else thinks about your wheels? Put what you like on the car, and enjoy it. This is the United States , you (for now at least) have that freedom. :)

Thanks for the honesty guys.

I've never purchased aftermarket wheels before so I'm just hunting for some critiques from people who may have or may have some input...maybe something I haven't thought of.

Like I said, I like the factory wheels just fine, I just don't want to pay the dealership 2500 bucks for the trim level upgrade to get the alloys instead of the steelies.

Just seems too dark to me. I'd like it better if there was a set with a silver lip. I think the spokes will look good though.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing, especially since that's the dark gray model (hard to tell in that photo) and I'm not sure how slick jet black wheels would look on a dark gray car. I would prefer the black model, except it ONLY comes in a beige interior. You know, when you're actually serious about buying a new Subaru in this model year it becomes very evident where they felt they could save some money. Like...zero options.

Here's a couple other wheels that I had my eye on (the last one is the one from the initial post):

Picture9-1.png

Picture7.png

Picture6.png

Picture9.png

i'm not an aftermarket fan either, but that has little to do with aesthetics.

website says premium is a $1,000 upgrade but i'm sure there's a catch or someway to encourage you to pay more?

i'd just get the base model and have it in mind to score a set of wheels later. like when you need tires, just get a set of wheels. or buy them now, have the tires swapped and save your originals for snows?

these jokers have 4 2010 alloy wheels for $150 each: 866-356-3924

website says premium is a $1,000 upgrade but i'm sure there's a catch or someway to encourage you to pay more?

i'd just get the base model and have it in mind to score a set of wheels later. like when you need tires, just get a set of wheels. or buy them now, have the tires swapped and save your originals for snows?

I also have never been an aftermarket fan.

All I can say, is if you plan to keep the car for 2years or less, you would be okay. If you plan to keep it more than 2 years, I would HIGHLY recommmend if you choose to go aftermarktet, you buy like 2 extra spare wheels and keep them tucked away in boxes on a shelf. If you EVER get a flat tire ever, the chance of ruinining a rim is about 50/50 due to a tire flat/blowout. Even a small accident can ruin a rim in a heartbeat. Or the goofy old lady pulls out and instead of smashing her you aim for a curb.... If you don't have a spare laying around, you will NEVER be able to find a replacement wheel to match the other 3 good ones. Aftermarket wheel manufactureres make a certain amount of wheels, sell them all, and if they have any left after a year run, they melt them down into the next new style.

If you don't believe me, then ask the wheel sales stores to order in a older wheel they "used" to carry. You will be out of luck.

just some good advice to buy 2 extras.

I have bought a fair share of cars, and the one time the seller tired to sell me a car with some crappy aftermarket wheels, I said I would not buy it with those wheels. They were some 1g worth of rims I agreed if he took them off and put on Some WRX or something oem, I would buy it. Now, I can easily find as many spares as needed. And, OEM is a stronger wheel to begin with, not soft flimsy metal that aftermarket is. There are some pricey aftermarket that are strong from BBS, otherwise, nope.

If you have the means and ways to do it, then get them, and get a few extras will be no extra cost really. If you never need them, someone would surely end up needing them in 10 years :)

good luck. Oh, and those tiny tiny spokes mean the wheel is flimsy like you wouldnt believe. Also, they are hard to keep clean, and as mentioned, wheels protect your rotors and brake calipers from road debris, the more open a wheel you choose, the more risk of having debris take a life out of your brake components-at least it sure does here in the salt/rust belt. Anything at all to protect from the salt splash, slush spray saves brake work components. Big huge work trucks and open spoke wheels are bad bad bad. But the full wheel covered trucks, not many brake issues.

The easy way to replace a aftermarket wheel when they cannot be purchased new anylonger, is to steal them, thats the way it goes. You will also increase risk of wheel theft once those wheels are several years old, as others who had them find they need to get replacements, the black market effect takes off and they will just steal one to get one.

If i didnt scare ya yet, good. I have been told i have paranoia.....(spelling) but its because i have seen and heard stories of South Chicago.....lol........it is bad there, and east St Louis stories. If you ever drive thru south side Chicago in the dark alone at night, with your car with those fancy aftermarket wheels, someone may kill you for them.....

Edited by bheinen74

Thanks Gary. I think that the best bet might be to get straight OEM.

I hope everything's going OK with the LGT Ltd. I saw you were having some trouble with the torque shaft converter (or something..). Hope you get that figured out!

...there I go again...hijacking my own thread...

I don't mind the first set you show above, but I'd want to have someone steal my car if the other three sets were on it. That's my 2 cents, since you asked.

But its your car and you can do whatever turns your crank. Be happy with what you spend your money on.

I don't mind the first polished set you show above, but I'd want to have someone steal my car if the other three sets were on it. That's my 2 cents, since you asked.

But its your car and you can do whatever turns your crank. Be happy with what you spend your money on.