Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale wagon, 5 speed, 32mpg?

I am new to Stickshifts, but I bought a 91 Loyale non-turbo with a 5 speed and every time I talk to someone with one they always tell me that they get about 32 mpg. Maybe it is just me being new to sticks, but I am not getting 32mpg, more like 20 or so. It is mostly in town driving, but I took at trip last week and only got 26 mpg going about 75-80mph. Is there something I am missing? I am not that bad at sticks, I have had it almost a month now.

You'll have to slow down to get good mileage in these cars. My loyale will get 34mpg if I keep the top speed under 60 mph. You start going 65-70 and mileage will drop fast. The trannies aren't geared for high speed driving.

4wd? My '89 GL (essentially the same car as the Loyale with the exception of having dual range) used to get around 29 to 31mpg on the highway, and around 26 to 28mpg around town. It got down around 22 when the tire pressure was low once (like 18psi on all four tires... oops).

ya it has 4wd, what are the shift points, 2500 or 3000? I usually have it going about 45 to 50 mph. I dont drive to much on the highway. My tires could be the problem actually, I have the right size tires, but they are different than the ones I usually see on loyales.

Shift it alot higher than you would think. Usually 4000, and yes, it's it'll be running at 3500rpm on the highway at 80mph.... it doesn't seem to affect the gas mileage on these like it does on a big V8. Generally I try to keep it between 2500 and 3500 to stay in the power band... go much below 2500 and you'll be a slug. I do run synthetic oil (5W50) in mine, as I've notices it doesn't like to rev as much with 10W40 regular. And, mine is with 89 octane (mid grade), as I do notice it pinging on hills in hot weather if I use 87 (low grade here).

All the figures for mine are with stock (175/75R13) studded snow tires.

get decent plugs and wires. nothing special though but that makes a difference. also, double check the air filter. that makes a difference too.

On Highway only i see 35-38ish, coarse that's just flat road driving but still.

you can still see better than 25 city driving if you keep the rpm's down. 2500 - 3000 RPM is a good point unless you cant help it. but is possible.. I do a lot of mixed driving for work and still see better than 30 mixed when i keep the rpm's down

-Justin

in town driving is terrible for gas mileage, maybe even more so with a 4WD Subaru. if you're pulling mountain grades i wouldn't expect that to help either.

i also think all 20 year old cars are not the same even if they came off the line right next to each other.

if you want top mileage, O2 sensor, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are a good place to start.

my 82 brat,290,000 on original engine(3rd trans), only replaced head gaskets once. I drove to colo. river/grand canyon(from oregon) w/14' raft, and all the gear for 21 day float, 31-34 mpg. broke 2oars, no brat breakdowns,:banana: