Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been all over the Internet and back and climbed all over my car trying to figure out its build date. I can't find it anywhere. I haven't needed it up until now, but I blew a hole in the radiator the other day and need to know the build date to order another one.

I looked at the aluminum stamped plate under the hood on the driver strut tower and the sticker inside the driver door on the body. Nothing on either. I haven't found any other stickers anywhere besides the ones on various parts with the VIN on it.

Where am I not looking? This has got me pretty steamed since I want to fix the bloody thing and I don't know which radiator to order.

In many cases, the last eight digits of the VIN will suffice. If you are going after market, call your local/nearest subaru dealer, give them the last 8 of your VIN and they will be able to tell you. Then you can tell whoever the month and year...

they used to put a sticker on the b-pillar, the door column. but they stopped doing that in 96 or 97. i assume since you cannot find the sticker with the build date that you have a 97 or later.

it is now located on the bottom of the driver door. you have to get on the ground to see it and if you wear reading glasses they may not be strong enough. my nose ends up being very close to the sticker.

they used to put a sticker on the b-pillar, the door column. but they stopped doing that in 96 or 97. i assume since you cannot find the sticker with the build date that you have a 97 or later.

it is now located on the bottom of the driver door. you have to get on the ground to see it and if you wear reading glasses they may not be strong enough. my nose ends up being very close to the sticker.

Why on earth would they put it on the BOTTOM of the door?????? :confused:

That is just plain ridiculous! :-\

Yeah, mine's a '97. I'll look on the bottom of the door in a bit.

It's definitely not on the metal plate on the strut tower. Just VIN, configuration codes and such.

Incidentally, it just occurred to me that I might be able to fix the radiator by soldering it. Gunna look that up. I figure if I make the hole worse, who cares?

Yeah, mine's a '97. I'll look on the bottom of the door in a bit.

It's definitely not on the metal plate on the strut tower. Just VIN, configuration codes and such.

Incidentally, it just occurred to me that I might be able to fix the radiator by soldering it. Gunna look that up. I figure if I make the hole worse, who cares?

If you can solder it, then I would suggest using JB Weld. It is an epoxy that sets up rock hard. The trick is to have a very clean surface, and wait 12 hours before using after applying. I have used it successfully to seal up a leak in metal tubing on high pressure A/C line.

i think there was a rash of sticker thefts which were then being put on old gen subarus so they could be sold to unsuspecting buyers as 1998 brats. :eek:

Oh good lord, and it isn't even April Fools Day...

If you can solder it, then I would suggest using JB Weld. It is an epoxy that sets up rock hard. The trick is to have a very clean surface, and wait 12 hours before using after applying. I have used it successfully to seal up a leak in metal tubing on high pressure A/C line.

Good idea. I was planning to get some to plug a hole in my exhaust anyway. What the heck, you know?

Incidentally, I looked under the door. Nothing but another VIN sticker. I'm starting to think they didn't put that ANYWHERE on the car.

Good idea. I was planning to get some to plug a hole in my exhaust anyway. What the heck, you know?

Incidentally, I looked under the door. Nothing but another VIN sticker. I'm starting to think they didn't put that ANYWHERE on the car.

Build date ABSOLUTELY is on the sticker on teh bottom of the door.

Look for anything that looks like a date. It won't say "build date"

It's simply more like "04/97"

Not in the door frame, actually on the lower edge of the door. date Should be in the corner

Build date ABSOLUTELY is on the sticker on teh bottom of the door.

Look for anything that looks like a date. It won't say "build date"

It's simply more like "04/97"

Not in the door frame, actually on the lower edge of the door. date Should be in the corner

Well, I'll look again. I was planning to go out in the other car to get some JB Weld for the radiator anyway.

I've used Rockauto a number of times and have always been completely satisfied. Low prices, shipping can be a bear if you order a lot of stuff (some parts coming from different warehouses they charge shipping for each shipment) but most of the time it's still cheaper and better parts than what you get at the local Autozone or whatever, and they ship out fast.

Every now and then you find closeout deals on some parts. I got a Beck Arnley clutch kit for my truck, normally a $150 kit, for $50 with shipping. :banana: