Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just picked up a 91 Legacy L today. The car is freakin awesome! So much better driving down the road than a lifted GL wagon.

It was listed on CL for $350 with a blown headgasket. (that is what he said, so far the car has not overheated, but i think i am seeing an oil slick when i checked the radiator. And the oil does not have a drop of water in it)

The seller had posted it on May 10th and i was the only person who contacted him, on June 3rd. :eek:

It had been sitting in a field for 3 years when i went to go look at it, and honestly i wasn't expecting much. But when i got there, i was pleasantly surprised by what good shape the car was in! I had my junkyard toolbox and an extra battery, so i slammed it in and hopped in the driver seat. The interior looked almost new and all the seats were still upholstered and firm! I turned the engine over by hand a few times, and went to fire it up. The thing started after turning over about 4 times and purred like a kitten!

after haggling with the owner i got him to drop the price to $275. (starving college student/mechanic and all that)

Here it is

PICT0014.JPG

PICT0013.JPG

PICT0010.JPG

It has 238,000 miles on it. Automatic transmission, a working AC, and a peeling hood :rolleyes:

I was digging through the glovebox and found a bunch of service records!

it is a well maintained car!

All the fluids look new and its got a new radiator.

Edited by Markus56

Nice car for little bucks. Suggest you change radiator caps. It is possible that a bad cap is the problem.

Keep an eye on the temp gauge. If it is indeed a bad head gasket, it will drive fine for a while, then the temp gauge will very rapidly over heat. Just keep watching the temp gauge. If it starts to over heat, turn off the engine immediately.

It's a headgasket. And it has a new radiator and cap thanks to the PO

I went through it today and disassembled the dash and center console and cleaned everything. I found candy wrappers under the parking brake cables! :eek:

Edited by Markus56

probably the new radiator was not "burped" correctly.......lol

easy fix. these rarely actually have a headgasket problem.

Check the simple things first.

Are both fans plugged into the connectors.

Properly Burp it, have the Heat on MAX when burping.

top the fluid after burping.

probably the new radiator was not "burped" correctly.......lol

easy fix. these rarely actually have a headgasket problem.

Check the simple things first.

Are both fans plugged into the connectors.

Properly Burp it, have the Heat on MAX when burping.

top the fluid after burping.

Having the heater on max doesn't change anything. I turn it on once to make sure heat is coming out the vent and then shut it off. Otherwise it takes all day to bleed the air out and hear the fan cycle on and off.

Look up Spill Free Funnel if you haven't already got one.

Exhaust detected in the coolant. headgasket for sure. And i already have the yellow funnel :)

Napa pro-link quote:

Felpro head gasket

felpro valve cover gasket

tru flow water pump and gasket

Napa B&H timing belt

felpro intake manifold gasket

felpro exhaust gasket

Balkamp block heater

+____________________

276.90 including tax

+ $75 for machining heads

:banana:

Edited by Markus56

Exhaust detected in the coolant. headgasket for sure. And i already have the yellow funnel :)

Napa pro-link quote:

Felpro head gasket

felpro valve cover gasket

tru flow water pump and gasket

Napa B&H timing belt

felpro intake manifold gasket

felpro exhaust gasket

Balkamp block heater

+____________________

276.90 including tax

+ $75 for machining heads

:banana:

Check e-bay first I use these guys all the time and have never had a probelm and or come back. Ditch the paper pump gasket and get the OEM metal one for like six bucks. Also get the little oil pump o-ring and re-seal the oil pump while your in there.

The belt may be a bit tight and you will question its correct size but just leave it out in the sun while you tearing everything down. It will get good and stretchy.

75 buck for maching ...shop around more...I can get them done for 35 bucks off my machinist and he is still making some money off me.

OH and IMO and experiance NAPA anything has failed me several times, enough to where I have not gone there in like 15 years. I have seen there t-belts fail in like 3 months on some of my "customers" rigs, same with seals as well.

Fel Pro is good stuff though so that is not the issue.

Again just my personal experiance with them, plus they are jerks at the main one here.

Your mileag may vary (YMMV)

• 2 weeks later...

you use them all the time?;)cheers, brian

Check e-bay first I use these guys all the time and have never had a probelm and or come back. Ditch the paper pump gasket and get the OEM metal one for like six bucks. Also get the little oil pump o-ring and re-seal the oil pump while your in there.

The belt may be a bit tight and you will question its correct size but just leave it out in the sun while you tearing everything down. It will get good and stretchy.

75 buck for maching ...shop around more...I can get them done for 35 bucks off my machinist and he is still making some money off me.

OH and IMO and experiance NAPA anything has failed me several times, enough to where I have not gone there in like 15 years. I have seen there t-belts fail in like 3 months on some of my "customers" rigs, same with seals as well.

Again just my personal experiance with them, plus they are jerks at the main one here.

My local napa has two employees. One of them is a retired Subaru mechanic, and has always helped me out. They've never steered me wrong

Way to put stupid effing illegal lights on a car that can NEVER outdrive the stock ones that, by the way, has a fricking blown head gasket.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Priorities man. You and Cody need to seriously open a shop, or, start working for Will Castro. I swear you'd both try to put a stereo system in a car with flat tires, and dead battery

Edited by 3eyedwagon