Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so I have had oil leaking for a while now and thought that it was the oil pan gasket because of the amount. Replaced that, and good thing to there was no gasket left. It is still leaking pretty badly and I am wondering if anyone knows of a thread or site they can point me to to let me know what all the possibilities are........ and it only leaks when it drives not when it sits. Thnks for any help you guys can give.

I would ask for a location of the leak but every leak on these ends up in one place, all over the steering rack.

Possibilities... endless.

Not really, but here's the laundry list: Oil separator plate, rear main crank seal, front crank seal, oil pump O ring, front cam seals, rear cam O ring, front cam O ring, valve cover gaskets, head gaskets... I think there are some others but my brain is fired after today. :dead:

Good list, Fairtax. Nice thing is that a number of these are on the front end behind the timing belt covers--they can be addressed relatively easily when you do a timing belt/water pump job.

Couple of other sources that my son and I found on his '92 Legacy:

1) Base of the oil fill tube on the driver's side valve cover. New o-ring fixed it.

2) Rubber hose connecting PCV valve and crankcase (firewall end, passenger side, top of block). It had an almost invisible split at the base that would open under pressure and pump oil out! New hose fixed it.

Best way to locate leaks is to clean up the bottom end, drive for a day or two then crawl back under and look around--source of "new" oil should be a little more obvious.

Good luck.

What ever it is after 10 min of driving it has recovered almost all of the places I wiped off. Gonna throw some jack stands under it and let her run in the driveway for a while....... if I have all four wheels off the ground its ok to put it in gear and let them spin some right??? Because I let it run for a bit before and no leak, drove to my mail box (30 yrds) and it was leaking again so I guess I got some work cut out for me in the next couple days.

ok? Don't put the car on jack stands and put it in gear because that is pointless and bad for the axles. Are you cleaning the engine? It could simply just be dripping and only makes drops every so often. I had a really bad oil leak and its turned out to be my oil pump o ring because there is alot of pressure in the area.

the most likely severe oli leak locations are the o-ring behind the oil pump, the crank seal, the oil separator plate on the back side of the engine or the valve cover gaskets.

lots of places leak but these can leak the most, in my opinion. oil pump first, sep plate second. valve cover are the easiest on a ej22.