Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C technical manual? Where?

AC work is pretty generic - especially on the older stuff so you shouldn't need more than the FSM and some knowledge of AC (refrigeration) systems which you can buy a tech manual for at most auto parts stores. To do most AC service work you are going to need at least a manifold/gauge set and a small vacuum pump as well as the appropriate fittings for your R12 based system.

GD

you can also ask here tons of folks here have fixed A/C stuff. but i agree that a bit of learning is good - try google and you'll find some info, that's what i did just sifted through online material until i got a feel for it and i've repaired lots of A/C.

i know this is frowned upon by some but personally i'd try a can of the stop-leak refrigerant first, it's a nearly 20 year old car i wouldn't get too crazy on it. told a buddy of mine to do that a few years ago on his and it's been fine ever since, talked to him yesterday.

Thanks, guys. However, the A/C problem is not a lack of cooling, but a lack of some control signal. I have hot wired the clutch on and it blows really cold, and the pressure gauge on the R134A can shows it to be right where it should be. I have juice on all fusible links (both ends) and the lone 15A fuse over on the right strut tower. I have not checked the low pressure switch or the thermostat switch that is somewhere in the blower box. I was hoping to find info on where that stuff is and sorta how to track it down. I've read that the low pressure shutoff switch is 2 pin and also 4 pin. 2 pins; I get. 4 don't make obvious sense. The pulse sensor is adjusted. Clutch never even tries to engage. I installed the adapters for R134A, thinking that the pressure might be low and I need to fully convert, but seeing normal pressure, I stopped in my tracks. Thermodynamically, everything works great. It's the electrical control that is not sending juice to the clutch on the compressor. Do these clues suggest something? I have not checked the A/C relay, either. I did find it, however. Thanks.

It's a 4 pin low pressure switch and I can't locate any electrical info on it in Haynes or Chiltons. I did find and test the thermostat behind the glove compartment and it seems fine. I unplugged it. No change. I shorted the two leads and still no change. I found and grounded the black/red coil wire to the A/C relay and the clutch kicked in. I cannot locate the A/C amplifier module. Anyone know where that little bugger is? Thanks. Jim

• 2 years later...
It's a 4 pin low pressure switch and I can't locate any electrical info on it in Haynes or Chiltons. I did find and test the thermostat behind the glove compartment and it seems fine. I unplugged it. No change. I shorted the two leads and still no change. I found and grounded the black/red coil wire to the A/C relay and the clutch kicked in. I cannot locate the A/C amplifier module. Anyone know where that little bugger is? Thanks. Jim

did you ever get the info you were looking for? Is your A/C working properly yet?

I only ask because I was thumbing through some old threads on A/C and came across yours. I may be able to get you some elec. diagrams if you still need them.

{well I know I can get them, its just being able to scan, copy then email or send them out to you...my computer skills are lacking}

Let me know and I will try.

I had that Electrical Gremlins on my "BumbleBeast" subaru A/C long time ago, I Solved it: The problem is the Relays, there are Three.

To find my Writeup about the Relays and how to Swap the Old round ones with Bosch standard ones, just click on my Avatar to reach my Public profile, then scroll down on my List of Writeups, to find the one about the Relays, it is plenty of Pictures and Diagrams.

Good Luck!

Kind regards.