Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After wallowing in the world of EA82Ts for the past year I'm seriously looking for a Subaru that needs less attention. Any suggestions as what to look out for in a valuable newer Subaru? I'm looking for something that's more low maintenance for a good price. I'm clueless about the new engines and typical problems of these cars.

I hear that the EJ22 is good engine, better than the EJ25?

Thanks!

EJ22 from 90 or whenever they started using it to 95 is bullet proof. They can throw timing belts all day long and you slap a new belt on, re-time and go. Also practically never have trouble with head gaskets or bottom end like the early Ej25.

In 96 some of them are bullet proof some aren't. It's one of those mid year changes apparently. What they had left got used up then they start putting the new engines in that were interference valve design. So timing belt breaks, valves get bent.

All Ej25 are interference. All have head gasket problems. A lot end up with bad bearings or rods through the block due to overheating caused by the bad head gaskets.

EJ22 from 90 or whenever they started using it to 95 is bullet proof. They can throw timing belts all day long and you slap a new belt on, re-time and go. Also practically never have trouble with head gaskets or bottom end like the early Ej25.

In 96 some of them are bullet proof some aren't. It's one of those mid year changes apparently. What they had left got used up then they start putting the new engines in that were interference valve design. So timing belt breaks, valves get bent.

All Ej25 are interference. All have head gasket problems. A lot end up with bad bearings or rods through the block due to overheating caused by the bad head gaskets.

So, are the EJ22s from 96' on interference valve design? Or are all EJ22s golden? I'm seeing that they were put in from 90'-99'.

90 to 94 Legacy. Hands down. The "cost-cut" models starting in '95 as well as the Impreza's from day 1 are much cheaper in more areas than it's possible to easily list here.

In addition, the body style is somewhat dated so they are not desireable - you can pickup the nicest one around for less than $2k.

The OBD-I system without all the extra goo-gah's of the OBD-II mess that came in '95 is just icing on the cake. Bulletproof from every angle. I can't reccomend them enough.

GD

From what I've gathered, and I'm not all that, but as long as the h/g's are replaced in the EJ25s, they are more or less reliable engines as long as you maintain them, unlike the EA81s and OBD1 EJ22s which will run regardless of maintenance unlike your EA82Ts which malfunction if you think about them.

From what I've gathered, and I'm not all that, but as long as the h/g's are replaced in the EJ25s, they are more or less reliable engines as long as you maintain them, unlike the EA81s and OBD1 EJ22s which will run regardless of maintenance unlike your EA82Ts which malfunction if you think about them.

WORD. The turbo is fun and all, but I feel like wrecking my EA82T right now. I swear that car enjoys toying with my emotions.

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm currently looking for a EJ22 (potentially EJ25, but that timing belt thing really weighs heavy on my brain) in Oregon!!

Definitely eyeing baccaruda's lifted 01' in Spokane, I must admit.... so cool!

this is all covered and i answered your PM's already about it but EJ22 is interference in 1997 and up. 1997 and up, not 1996, that is incorrect if you saw it somewhere else.

price range is an important point, you can get yourself into an H6 as well, that's what i did to avoid the EJ25. but that's a higher price point than earlier EJ22's.

on older cars you're still going to have oil leaks to contend with. not a big deal but typically what i do is completely redo the entire thing when i get it - valve cover gaskets, timing belt kit, water pump, cam seals, reseal oil pump, etc. you can entertain the idea of just replacing wet/leaking seals but i do it all considering the age. do that and you've got a reliable vehicle for a very long time in the early EJ22's. ebay timing kits are cheap too for the early stuff like $60 for an entire set of belt and pulleys.

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm currently looking for a EJ22 (potentially EJ25, but that timing belt thing really weighs heavy on my brain) in Oregon!!

No idea what you are looking for exactly but I have a '97 Legacy that is going to be up for sale soon. It's an EJ22, Automatic, All power, 147k, etc. It's white with grey interior. It will have been completely gone through - I'm pulling the engine to do a leaky head gasket this week. I recondition Subaru's on a regular basis and have many satisfied customers. If you are looking for a turn-key solution just tell me what you want. I can find good deals on first gens and then do a full 60k service and make any neccesary repairs to get them in top shape - I usually sell them in the $1500 to $2000 range but I don't buy them unless someone asks for one since the 95 to 99 body style are worth so much more and easier for me to sell to the non enthusiast crowd.

PM me if you are interested. I'm in West Linn just south of Portland.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

But, I would consider an EJ25 with all the work done already... maybe.

I've thought the same thing at times--but it's still very chancy. Did the previous owner change the cars head gaskets at the first signs of trouble? Or did he drive the crap out of it and change them as a last ditch effort?

Not an easy question to answer!

I've thought the same thing at times--but it's still very chancy. Did the previous owner change the cars head gaskets at the first signs of trouble? Or did he drive the crap out of it and change them as a last ditch effort?

^+1^ From one enthusiast to another - I simply wouldn't risk it unless it's not your only means of transportation or you are comfortable with swapping the engine out for a 2.2 if needed.

GD