Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Perhaps you already know this, but I will still repeat. If you go to a car parts store, the counter guy will check out your charging system at no charge. It only takes a couple of minutes of time, and the guy will do it in their parking lot.

I agree with the other guys, it sounds like your alternator is going south.

Happened to me. (no ABS light though, and yes, I unfortunately have ABS).

It was intermittent for about 10 miles, then just stopped working. Banged on the alt with a hammer and it worked for a few more miles before stopping working all together. You can drive for quite a while with a failed alt. Just keep lights and stuff off, but once your battery dies ... on the side of the road you go until you charge it up! What happened on my alt was that one of the wires to the brushes just broke off.

i got lucky. we were on the way to MI from NH last week, and the alternator failed while on i-88 in oneonta, ny. i noticed the battery and brake lights were on, so i pulled off the highway at the closest exit. stopped at a state police barracks, and they pointed me to a napa just down the road. tested the output, and with the engine running, battery was putting out fewer volts than with motor off.

they (napa) had an alternator in stock, and 25 minutes later (good thing i brought my metric wrenches/toolbox) i was on my way again.

averaged just over 30.5 mpg for the total 1700 miles, all without 4th gear. :-\

who needs 4th gear when ya got 3rd :)

the lights havent come back on. i cleaned the alternator connections since i could at least do that easily.

havent had any problems with that. im still going to check the output next time i go by an autoparts store.