Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought a subaru baja on July 1st and only three days after i got it it began overheating. In researching this site i found another post with a person having a problem identical to mine. the prognosis seems to be that the head gasket is blown. this is the thread in case you would like to read through it to get the specifics of the problem http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113649&highlight=overheating

Basically my coolant is disappearing into the head because of a cracked gasket. When i bought the car there was a slight misfire at start up, but i figured it needed new spark plugs. There was also a little fluid missing from the radiator and some extra it seemed in the coolant resevoir. other than that there were no problems. Three days after it started overheating suddenly and cooling back down. A friend of mine suggested bleeding the coolant system of air and trying again. This fixed the problem for about 70 miles before it began overheating.... SO....

A local mechanic quoted me 900 dollars to change both head gaskets which seems WAY high and i dont have that money.

Does anyone know about how much i should expect to pay? AND

Does anyone know if i can hold the people who sold me the car liable? I signed an "AS-IS" form when i purchased the car, but the sales manager told me that he had been driving the vehicle for a couple of weeks and it was fine, which i feel is likely a lie, since i feel the radiator being low on coolant when i looked at it to be too coinsidental.....

I'm in Northeastern Arkansas

sorry so long, thanks for the help

Short trips you wouldn't notice a problem.

Probably a fair price - assuming it's done correctly.

Perhaps someone from USMB is close and can help you out or make recommendations.

If you're gonna keep the car do the timing belt, perhaps idlers, etc.

Search around here for common "major service" to have done while the engine is out.

Don't forget to have the rad flushed. Whoever traded it in knew of the problem and probably tried "miracle cures" for the overheating before trading it in.

I bought a subaru baja on July 1st and only three days after i got it it began overheating.

where did you buy it, who did you buy it from?????

go back and complain, they knew it was bad, especially if it was a dealer or car lot, and they cheated you.

900$ is a really good price, but you need to demand subaru head gaskets for that price, no others will work (they only cost 36$ each, 72 total).

complain to the seller. you might get lucky.

it's as-is, you likely have no recourse.

if you did have recourse folks could start overheating and blowing every headgasket on every used car they buy and claim it was previously known and have the engine rebuilt/resealed. that sounds dumb, but trust me people are so dishonest they would do it. i'm sure "as-is" probably evolved from stuff like that.

that being said, if it's a dealer and they have a reputation to uphold i'd at least give them a chance and see what they say.

$900 is a fair price for headgaskets, that's actually about as cheap as you'll find to get it done. any cheaper and i'd worry about the quality.

NOTE - make absolutely certainly whoever does the job is using Subaru headgaskets. aftermarkets are known to be unreliable.

I'm going to the dealership to speak with the man that sold me the car tomorrow. With any luck he will buy the car back or have the car fixed. In all reality it is my fault that i ignored warning signs of a bad deal. I just got a weird vibe from these guys, but i was pretty impressed with the baja so i bought it any way. I still feel like ive been ripped off though.

Short trips you wouldn't notice a problem.

Probably a fair price - assuming it's done correctly.

Perhaps someone from USMB is close and can help you out or make recommendations.

If you're gonna keep the car do the timing belt, perhaps idlers, etc.

Search around here for common "major service" to have done while the engine is out.

Don't forget to have the rad flushed. Whoever traded it in knew of the problem and probably tried "miracle cures" for the overheating before trading it in.

could you fill me in on "USMB"? i've never heard of it. i'm a scobby nooby :)

maybe if i take my wolfhound up there and make him do some growling the guy will ************ his pants.... except my dog is a giant teddy bear and hasnt growled ever, not even once... i need a scarier pooch.

im about to hop in the shower and put my game face on. wish me luck USMB.

Update:

I picked my car up from the shop i took it to yesterday. I wanted to be certain that it was a head gasket issue, and USMB knows their stuff. According to the combustion test the engine has a pressure leak typical of a blown head gasket. Thanks and props USMB for helping me figure that one out.

After i got the results from the combustion test and hydrocarbons were detected in my coolant i took the car back to car lot i bought it from. I told the manager there what the problem was. He said the following:

1. let me take it to my mechanic and i'll have him test it

2. if there is a problem we will work something out on the price (i.e. im going to have to pay cash out of my pocket to pay for a car that i just bought to be fixed)

3. when i asked him if i could talk to the mechanic that would be working on it he wouldnt tell me the mans name. i asked him where he would be taking it and with hesitation he told me the shop across the street.

4. then he said that i didnt need to talk to him (i think he may believe he is a Jedi and can do mind tricks, or possibly that i have the word "fool" written across my head. In short, for some reason, he didnt want me speaking to the mechanic....

I walked over to the shop to find out who the guy was taht would be working on my car, because after all i need to know if this guy knows anything about subarus. while i was in the service office, Jeremy (thats the car lot's manager's name) walked in and saw me standing there and acted as if he was pissed that i had come to talk to the mechanic. When i asked the mechanic about his experience with subarus he said "i can fix anything"...

To top it off the service manager said that he just needed to get a quote on the work that would be done so we could discuss "working something out", but they didnt even get me a quote today. So i sat up at the dealership from 1030 until 345 when my girl friend got off work to give me a ride.... especially when i dont have the money to fix it and will be out of a ride for an undetermined amount of time.

basically, i hate the way im being treated and its not fair that someone can sell me a broken car and expect me to pay for any repairs that arent my fault. does anyone here have any advice to offer? I'm getting awful vibes from this. ya know, like before you get struck by lightning and the hairs on your arm stand up... it feels like that... metaphorically.

also, i looked up the previous owner of the vehicle and messaged her on facebook to see if she knew of any problems when she trraded it in. still waiting to hear back from her.

the good news is he is not flat out saying NO WAY.

he is probably going to offer you some lesser repair, like flush the radiator and replace the t-stat. or he may offer to cover half or some portion of the actual cost of the head gasket repair at his shop. more than likely he will offer you cash off the sale price to cover part of the repair cost, effectively raising the price of the car since you have to come up with the rest.

you need to be prepared to counter that offer by knowing exactly what it will cost to repair at the dealer. and it would be helpful to know what it would cost at an independent subaru shop. the only way you can come out of this ahead is if he takes the car and gives you your money back. that is not likely to happen with out a long drawn out negotiation.

you do not want bubba across the street putting off brand head gaskets on it.

i would probably push for a cancellation of the sale and hope to get enough cash off the price to cover the repair at a reputable shop. bubba may be just fine, but......

and i would have an idea of what the worst case i'd be willing to accept would be.

things to remember,

the car is not worth more once it is repaired, he priced it as though it was in good working order.

if he accepts responsibility for the repairs, you may not get to pick the shop.

he has sold the car, it is easier and probably better for him to work out a deal with you than to take it back and look for a new buyer. besides he has your money already.

i don't know what you paid for it, but he has way less than that in it.

it might be good to know what the law in your state says about selling broken cars. in VA all cars sold by a lot or dealer must have a safety inspection. the only way to avoid the inspection is to sell it to another car dealer who is then responsible for it.

and finally, if you are not satisfied with the deal, let him know you are not going away. don't get loud or angry, but don't stop. maybe you could have a picket sign with you to advertise the fact that "this car lot sells broken cars and cheats people".

Did I miss how many miles this has, that is very important right now.

Find out if there is an "Implied" warrenty like there is in NY. It lasts 30 days on any used car bought from a dealer, and this would be covered.

Did you buy this from a subaru dealer?

Did I miss how many miles this has, that is very important right now.

Find out if there is an "Implied" warrenty like there is in NY. It lasts 30 days on any used car bought from a dealer, and this would be covered.

Did you buy this from a subaru dealer?

No. I bought it from a small car lot so it is likely an auction vechicle

No. I bought it from a small car lot so it is likely an auction vechicle

Your still not giving me mileage, this is VERY important. SUbary has a extended warrenty to 100,000 miles on some years due to HG issues.

I can talk you through this process if you would give me the mileage, but this is the first time i have heard a Baja have this issue.

Also if the dealer is going to split the cost of repair, instead of paying for it himself, you need to push for your own mechanic to do the fix.

another update. i spoke with the dealer again. the mechanic he wanted to work on it can't do it because he does not have some specific tools you need to change the head gaskets. He is checking on some guy in Memphis, Tn that might be able to work on it, and if that doesnt pan out there is a guy that specializes in foriegn cars not far from where i live. Still no word as to whether he plans to pay for the damage though.

Still no word as to whether he plans to pay for the damage though.

Be sure to talk it through with him before any work is done. In fact put whatever is agreed to on paper (even if it's hand written on the back of an envelope) and have him sign it.

Good luck. Hope it works out well in your favor.

Wolfhound, how much did you pay for this car. I'm asking for a reason. Usually, an "as is" car is sold for a cheap price because the seller guarranties nothing. When used car dealer represents a car as being in good condition, and gets a good price for it, the customer should not sign an "as is" purchase agreement.

Regardless, you signed an "as is" purchase agreement, that leaves you with very little recourse. Arkansas is very much a "buyer beware" kind of state. If you can prove that the dealer knowingly withheld information about problems with car from you, you might have a leg to stand on. I'm not an attorney, you might want to consult one.

Do you trust the dealer? Do you think he might have intentionally screwed you? If yes, than why trust him in the repair of the car? You might just be asking for another screwing. If you don't trust the dealer, why the hell would you trust a mechanic recommended by the dealer?

Have you checked the dealer out with the BBB or state attorney general? Has this dealer been in business long? Does he have a long established good reputation? Did you take the car to a trusted mechanic for an inspection before you bought it?

Whatever you do, watch out. Remember that even a written agreement is only as good as the person who signed it. If you don't trust the signer, a written agreement may be next to worthless. Never sign anything on the spot, always insist that you are able to take the document home overnight so that you can "carefully read it". That gives you a chance to think, and get advise if you need it.

Dude,

I did none of those things. I ************ed up. I have way to much trust in people. I guess because i know that if i had sold a faulty vehicle to someone i would feel obligated to make things right, i thought i would be treated with the same dignity and respect. But, alas, i am losing faith in the essential decency of the white mans culture. (fear and loathing quote)