Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Needing a lift...

92_rugby_subie

I recomend against 31" tires unless you plan on spending a LOT more time and money on gearing solutions. I ran 29" TSL/SXs that measured a bit over 30 on my '81 and it was a dog getting up some hills without longer than comfortable running start. My suggestion is try to find differant tires, and get tires to fit your lift, not build your lift to fit your tires.

If I were to do it again I'd only go about 4" and try to get a least half of that through some suspension modification instead of all from body lift/blocks, get some super skinny 27s or 28s, somewhere around 7-8.5 wide and weld the rear diff, convert to spfi or drop in an ej25 with ej22 heads on it... list continues for a bit.... :banana:

Well thank you Trevor :)

Its your 84 Im buying :) Lol.

I ordered Tranny mounts today, should be here Tuesday at the latest (the 3rd) and that way we can put them on the Subaru.

Im thinking 4 inch lift and 27 or 29s would make most sense, probably 27s would give me most clearance right?

you will use all your stock running gear with 4" blocks between your body and running gear, so your ride will feel pretty much stock.........

search through some of the threads of 4" lifts and that will give you an Idea how its done.............

Jeff

Ohhh

Thank you :)

Lol.

So I see mudding videos where in the description, they say "oh and you hear the axle snap"

Is it super easy to snap an axle? Im new to the whole wheeling idea, and I dont wanna kill myself, or my Subaru

It the Gen2s the Bells kinda like to blow up if you are wheeling them hard enough, GD has a good write up about how to build EA82 belled axles with the EA81 shafts, it pretty easy, but then you get to the next weak link, the Axle stubs in the rear end, they like to break if you are throttle happy, but they are also a pretty easy fix............ As you build your car you will get to know it, you'll figure things out pretty fast as they break, because it will......................... :)

Jeff

Also, I wouldn't go to much bigger than a 30" tire, you will kill the hell out of your clutch, I have 30's on mine and I still have to slip the clutch in places, unless you want to get real good at swapping out the clutch I would stay around a 30" tire thats more than enough, with the 4 speed its just hard on them, I've gone through 3 trans's in my 82 Brat, just figure on loosing 3rd gear real quick and then blowing up reverse so it doesnt ever work again. Of couse it depends on how hard you Wheel it too, I put my rigs about through the max...............

Jeff

Also, I wouldn't go to much bigger than a 30" tire, you will kill the hell out of your clutch, I have 30's on mine and I still have to slip the clutch in places, unless you want to get real good at swapping out the clutch I would stay around a 30" tire thats more than enough, with the 4 speed its just hard on them, I've gone through 3 trans's in my 82 Brat, just figure on loosing 3rd gear real quick and then blowing up reverse so it doesnt ever work again. Of couse it depends on how hard you Wheel it too, I put my rigs about through the max...............

Jeff

Im sure when I get into it, I will wheel them hard, to keep up with my friends soon to be lifted 91 pathfinder and my other friends jeep... But for now, Im going to be gentle, stock height and everything, day after I buy it (thursday) its going wheeling haha

I decided like a 27 inch tire will work? I mean, bigger = more expensive, so Id prefer to keep the cost low.

I decided like a 27 inch tire will work? I mean, bigger = more expensive, so Id prefer to keep the cost low.

If you go bigger it can also be cheaper in a way. http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/8/sename/23575r15-crawler-mt-c.aspx

they are 29", only 60 bucks a pop, and aggressive as hell. yea they are retreads but check out some reviews out there (moab jeeper has good info) and you will see they are pretty darn good. I plan to run them on my Brat.

-Andy

I have fit 27's comfortably under a stock height 86 hatch with some fender cutting... If I am runnin a 4 inch on a 84 wag id cut the fenders a little bit and run 29's... You get most of your ground clearance from bigger tires and if your going to try to be keeping up with jeeps that's what i would do... the price difference is next to nothing from 27's to 29's.... I run 30's on a 88 with a 2 inch and cut fenders and it works like a charm....

I have fit 27's comfortably under a stock height 86 hatch with some fender cutting... If I am runnin a 4 inch on a 84 wag id cut the fenders a little bit and run 29's... You get most of your ground clearance from bigger tires and if your going to try to be keeping up with jeeps that's what i would do... the price difference is next to nothing from 27's to 29's.... I run 30's on a 88 with a 2 inch and cut fenders and it works like a charm....

In that case, I will go with 29"s

Will it be too much drag on my clutch though?