Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If all else fails, before cutting, latch a giant pipe wrench onto that puppy and

pull!

You may need to buy a new fitting, but at least it'll come off.

Twitch

I would be a little more easy on it then that, If you damage the fitting or the threads, you will have to retap the hole, or get a new carb.

I would be a little worried about cracking the treaded section on the Carb.

Kara, I will take a look at it and give it a shot Friday, I have worked on sooooo much stuff in my life, that this can't be any diffrent then another stuck fitting Haha.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no problem Kara - wish i could be of more help. :rolleyes:

oh yeah - one other thing...remove any rubber bits that are real close to where you are heating - wouldnt want you to melt anything accidentally - LOL

I would be a little worried about cracking the treaded section on the Carb.

Tom, the brass filter fitting would give way before the carb body will, and that will be replaced with a new one - providing that one can get the steel line off...:rolleyes:

steel line needs to come off before the brass filter can be removed tho...

kind of a dumb set up tho - steel into brass into alloy?? recipe for disaster mixing metals...:grin:

Heartless, You are right(of course) I can get a replacement for the brass bit, if need be. I borrowed a heat gun and a chunk of scrap metal (for a shield) tonight. (Also aquired a syringe to apply the "magic juice" (Gibbs) to the threads) I intend to do everything within my power to remove said object myself.

Wish i was closer, i would come help cheer you on! :popcorn::grin:

hope the "magic juice" does what you hope it will - cant say I have ever used that stuff, but if it is highly recommended, all you can do is try it & hope for the best.

oh, have a couple of rags handy to sop up any gas that might come out once you do get that fitting loose!

It would start,(w/a squirt of go-juice) but not run.
um, really hate to say it, but this sounds more like a carb "rebuild" to me - things inside the carb are gummed up/sticking/not operating correctly - VERY possible if it has been sitting for a while....

if the fuel pump is a mechanical one (mounted on the side of the engine) those rarely fail...it does happen, but not very often.

either way - you still need to get that line loose, so - carry on!

Wish i was closer, i would come help cheer you on! :popcorn::grin:

hope the "magic juice" does what you hope it will - cant say I have ever used that stuff, but if it is highly recommended, all you can do is try it & hope for the best.

oh, have a couple of rags handy to sop up any gas that might come out once you do get that fitting loose!

um, really hate to say it, but this sounds more like a carb "rebuild" to me - things inside the carb are gummed up/sticking/not operating correctly - VERY possible if it has been sitting for a while....

if the fuel pump is a mechanical one (mounted on the side of the engine) those rarely fail...it does happen, but not very often.

either way - you still need to get that line loose, so - carry on!

Yep, fuel pump is mechanical, got a NOS one on my shelf,(probably cause they're never bad).But guy I bought car from was old, and it probably sat for 8mons. of any given year. (he drove it in parades and such)

If I bought rebuild kit and drove 5 hrs. to you, would you help me re-build it??

Yep, fuel pump is mechanical, got a NOS one on my shelf,(probably cause they're never bad).But guy I bought car from was old, and it probably sat for 8mons. of any given year. (he drove it in parades and such)

If I bought rebuild kit and drove 5 hrs. to you, would you help me re-build it??

Heck yeah! bring it on!!! zzz

and it wouldnt be no 5 hours LOL - just cause it was when you came up with Tom & Miles! :rolleyes: you guys really took a detour that trip! :lol:

We can make the trip from our house to the south side of Madison in 3 hours - so add on however long it takes you to get to Madtown - i'm thinking 4 hrs tops.

I can send you a much better route. ;)

Heck yeah! bring it on!!! zzz

and it wouldnt be no 5 hours LOL - just cause it was when you came up with Tom & Miles! :rolleyes: you guys really took a detour that trip! :lol:

We can make the trip from our house to the south side of Madison in 3 hours - so add on however long it takes you to get to Madtown - i'm thinking 4 hrs tops.

I can send you a much better route. ;)

Sounds like a plan!! :grin: Maybe in a couple weeks, or so...

I was thinking of maybe heading up 41, and taking 10 over... (It looks like it would be shorter????)

41 to 10 is shorter miles wise, but not necessarily time wise - there is major construction where you would need to exit from 41 - as in off ramps completely closed, cant use them, so you would have to go further north and east then back west - doesnt really save anything. :rolleyes:

easiest route is 94 west to 39 north to 10 west

I know there is construction on 94 in your general area, but once you get out of that, it is pretty much done. This route would be a little bit longer than what I personally would do, but dont want to confuse anyone. :grin:

41 to 10 is shorter miles wise, but not necessarily time wise - there is major construction where you would need to exit from 41 - as in off ramps completely closed, cant use them, so you would have to go further north and east then back west - doesnt really save anything. :rolleyes:

easiest route is 94 west to 39 north to 10 west

I know there is construction on 94 in your general area, but once you get out of that, it is pretty much done. This route would be a little bit longer than what I personally would do, but dont want to confuse anyone. :grin:

:lol:Confuse anyone???? I am the navigation guru!!! :lol: (Don't listen to anyone else in that regard!!! :lol:) Clue me in on the shortest route, and I will be there!!! (What you would "personally do") -K (in a PM?)

JoAnne, Please, do tell!

I do think the way we went was pretty quick (If we would have stayed on 51 instead of going through the Dells Lol!)

Either way, it was a fun route, I have never been thru the Dells since I was like 3. :)

Yeah,I liked the Dells too. Made me think I should go back there, just not if I'm triing to get somewhere else in a hurry!

You'd like the Dells, lots of places to take pics. but over commercialized. Got to get off the beaten path.

I feel like that about every place! I'd love to go to Australia, but I don't want to be in the touristy places/Safaris. I want to see the "Real" Australia.

paul hogan...jack hanna??? really??? :rolleyes::lol:

just teasing...

OK, will send you a pm regarding the route we take from home to madtown.

just a word of warning tho - it might seem like it is longer, but it really isnt - like I said, we can run it from home to the south side of Madtown (beltline & seminole hwy) in 3 hrs, almost on the dot, depending on traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, Kara - just a quick thought on the fuel delivery issue with the 'Camino...

if you want to know if the pump is working, disconnect the line that goes to the carb (at the pump) and give it a quick crank over - if you have fuel there, then it is definitely a carb problem.

trying to get my old Ford back up & running so i can get it up for sale - seemed like she wasnt getting any gas to the carb - yup, you guessed it, pulled the line off & no gas - bone dry in fact - pump isnt pulling at all...oh, yay...

hey, Kara - just a quick thought on the fuel delivery issue with the 'Camino...

if you want to know if the pump is working, disconnect the line that goes to the carb (at the pump) and give it a quick crank over - if you have fuel there, then it is definitely a carb problem.

trying to get my old Ford back up & running so i can get it up for sale - seemed like she wasnt getting any gas to the carb - yup, you guessed it, pulled the line off & no gas - bone dry in fact - pump isnt pulling at all...oh, yay...

Yep, that's exactly what one of the very helpful guys at my favorite parts store told me to do. Thanks for the tip though :) I will be doing that. [Hopefully at the top of the line though,(filter area)] Just picked up a 15mm line wrench, hope I can pound it on, as the 5/8 was just a smidge loose. Of course I picked the hottest day of the year to play w/a heat gun :eek:

Too bad about the Ford :( Hope that pump is not too much $$$.

Thanks for thinking of me! :) -K