Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Building a better EA82t

Due to the class I have chosen to race in I am stuck with the EA82t. Because of this I am planning to build more or less the strongest one ever. I plan to address this engines weakest points and push it to the limits of the turbos capability. The first two issues are headgasket and pistons. The headgaskets are a known failure point and I think "O" ringing the block will go a long way to curing this. Second pistons the factory pistons are cast and known to break ring lands I will try to locate forged replacements to solve this problem.

Due to the rules I cannot port the heads more than 1" into the ports so I will try improving the breathing with cams. I will look and see if I can polish the combustion chambers.

My goals are probably unreachable but I hope to near 200hp with this hated engine.

Replace the head bolts with studs since the bolts will limit the amount of torque you can apply before the aluminum threads rip out. The problem with this is you won't exactly find this as a kit, so getting some rounded up will requre talking to parts suppliers or going with bulk stock of threaded rod and making a kit.

There are a few that have beat the ea82t into oblivion, reaching 250 hp, and their associated reliability issues. search all the WJM mosts on the usmb.

Are you allowed to swap another engine with the same displacement(eja8) or are you stuck with what comes in the car fromt he factory?

Cracked heads is the problem I have run into the most with these.

They crack in the exhaust port, and coolant poors out and a into the turbo as steam. Ruins the turbo. Loses coolant and overheats.

I've had a couple heads welded, only to have them crack again.

Hate to say it....but you may want to move to the modified class, or run an Impreza or legacy rather than an older GL/RX/XT

Whatever you do, after making absolutely sure your cooling systems are in check (Coolant system), Oil flow and air flow (Intercooler).....get your fuel injectors cleaned.

I still think after all the reading I have done, fuel injectors #1 and #3 fails or starts to fail and causes some of the havoc I have been seeing over the years here. These cars are old. After having mines clean, I thought it was odd that fuel injectors #1 and #3 on both my XT6 and RX turbo were worse than the others. They may contribute to the overheating when they start to go bad and not kick out as much fuel as called for. Just a thought!

this car is finally handling up to par but the engine died. I think after a new (ish) engine is installed it will be competitive once again. I do plan on rebuilding the cracked engine and see what kind of power it can make (just for fun). I will wager that 200+ hp is possible for a short time.

this has been covered extensively here. WJM and others have dyno'ed, looked into, researched, built, etc all sorts of EA82T stuff. i'd read some of their threads as a lot of those folks aren't active or as active now but the info is already all there.

RAM performance has whatever pistons you want (and more).

Delta Cams is a board member so to speak and does cams.

O-ring the block, keep it from going lean, upgrade the internals, and you should be able to hit 200+ easily - maybe closer to 300.

It's just that no one wants to pay to do a proper o-ring on these engines - the machine work is very expensive if you can even find someone willing to do it. That's what will keep the HG's in it, and EGT management will keep the heads from cracking - but you are going to need proper fueling and management/monitoring to do it. And figure there will probably be some trial/error involved so off the bat your are going to want to have two or three blocks o-ringed and ready to go and a few sets of heads that have been hydro'ed and completely redone. You have to protect those weak heads and the o-ring will keep the gaskets from blowing out. But finding all the sweet spots for EGT's, fuel mixtures, and cylinder pressure's that will not crack heads and blow gaskets will probably cost you in damaged parts and blown components.

The problem is that no one does it the *right* way and I can't blame them considering the upgrade options and the costs associated with a proper turbo engine build up from what amounts to an NA engine design. And then there's the transmission issue - I don't know if you are allowed to use an EJ transmission but the stock tranny will not handle the kind of HP that you could make with a proper build. And it's going to be orders of magnitude more $$ than the engine build to beef up the tranny since no 4140, etc gear sets are availible for it.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

can you use the TD04 turbo? because the stock turbo's are junk & it will not work well with the FMIC. stand alone and water inj will help lots ive found a link for a How to MegaSquirt your Subaru RX Turbo http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_subaru_rx_turbo.htm and new injectors from http://osidetiger.com/Datsun1.aspx for a 280 datsun but only ordering 4 should bring that thing to life

unfortunately I am restricted to the stock turbo. I have had some success with the stock turbo, I use a 3" inlet pipe and a 2.5" DP. I am considering adding a TWE header for some better response and added power. I will be adding larger injectors and possibly additional injectors for added power potential. All told including WJW's maps I think this EA82t on the stock turbo might kiss 200 Crank HP. If I could get away with a TD04 I could see quite a bit more.

I have located another engine so this one can come out and get some real attention. Plan to see some baseline dyno numbers with a stock engine soon. I will include the increased boost with intercooling numbers as well.

• 8 months later...