Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hot forester.never seen this before

I took apart a 2.5 dohc out of a 98 forseter today and the engine had gotten so hot that the rear oil baffle cover and the knock sensor both melted. It looked like a Salvidor Dali painting. So when the needle gets to the red>>>keep driving until the engine quits. :)

I've seen it once before - the original engine in my '91 turbo Legacy was run till it seized and had actually melted away part of one of the cylinder liners. All the plastic was melted - timing belt covers, knock sensor, etc. Also blew the turbo, radiator, and heater core. :rolleyes:

I don't know what the driver was thinking and I'm not sure I want to crawl around inside that person's head to find out either. Better that I don't know IMO :mad:.

GD

Dali, perfect! These have to be some incredible engines to withstand that abuse and still run. I just had to say something because I'm a fool yet I'm so anal I removed 7 oz of oil from my EJ because it was at the V and not at the "dot". I don't know about folks whose vote cancels mine.

Ill post some pictures.

Hey I have a question about posting pics.

Do you have to have them on a different server and use html to point to them or can you post them here. Every time I post pics they are small and inthe post they are thumbnails.

If you upload pics to the site they come up as thumbnails. Use an external host such as photobucket and copy and paste the image link they provide. Or use the "Insert Image" shortcut button in the bottom row of icons at the top of the message box to insert the link to your pic and the site software will automatically add the "" tags needed at the beginning and end of the link.

I think theres a big tutorial on all this in the site help section. Might have pics too I've never looked at it.

I've melted the t-belt covers on an EJ22 snow wheeling. I had the EA82 dash gauge pegged with the EJ22 sender, which nomally ran at 1/4 at normal temp. It was hot enough to be down on power, so I packed snow in around the block to try and help cool it down. Left the t-belt cover loose from all the bolts, the bolts and metal sleeves had gotten hotter than the plastic could stand.

After it all cooled down, it was back to running fine.

I once saw a Forester that the owners left in low gear when they towed it behind their motor home. The results were not pretty.

I know a truck driver who use to tow his Toyota hilux behind his truck when he was leaving the truck at a job. Until he towed the hilux down the road in first gear for about 20 minutes until he stopped to find out what the noise was, that was getting louder.

I know a truck driver who use to tow his Toyota hilux behind his truck when he was leaving the truck at a job. Until he towed the hilux down the road in first gear for about 20 minutes until he stopped to find out what the noise was, that was getting louder.

Ouch - That mustn't have been pretty.